Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I've seen some people here claiming they got a perfect screen on the Air 2. I'm just curious. If you feel you have a perfect screen on your Air 2, is this by any chance your first iPad? If not, which iPad did you upgrade from? How was the screen on that? How are they in comparison? Do you see any indication of a shadow running along the left side (in portrait mode) on your Air 2?

Now that my 2GB RAM honeymoon is over, I'm starting to question my purchase. I pulled out my old iPad 4 and the screen is just so much nicer on that one. I wouldn't say the screen on my Air 2 is terrible, but I've definitely noticed some backlight uniformity issues along the left side (in portrat mode). On a red, blue or green screen, there's a faintly visible line of shadow running along the entire lefthand side about 3/4 of an inch from the edge itself. On a white background, the top and bottom of that line is barely perceptible, but a faint shadow around the center of the line remains. Basically around the center of the spacebar when using it in landscape mode. It kinda looks like a permanent fingerprint smudge even after polishing the screen. The bottom edge and the left edge also looks a bit dim compared to the right edge which looks perfect. The bottem left corner is even noticeably dimmer than that. When holding it in front of my Eizo Foris FS2333 IPS monitor, these flaws become much more obvious. I've attached a photo to help illustrate the issue. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad to my naked eye as it does in the photo. If it did, I would obviously have noticed right away and returned it for an exchange instantly.

The thing is, if this was my first iPad, I'd probably think this is to be expected or if I was upgrading from the Air 1, which to my understanding has similar issues, it may not seem so bad when comparing the two. But compared to my iPad 4, the screen feels like a downgrade. That's despite the anti-reflective coating which isn't such a big deal to me because I always used my iPad inside in a fixed position, where there is not a whole lot of light reflection going on. Switching back and forth between the two, I've also realized that the only major difference I'm feeling between the two is the 2GB RAM. I don't really pick my iPad up. It sits on my desk. So weight and thinness doesn't matter a whole lot to me. In short, it feels like I've traded a pro for a con and paid a premium for it in the process. That makes me question my purchase. Now, if the screen wasn't an issue, if it was just as good as on my iPad 4, I'd probably feel okay about my purchase.

So bottomline is, do I exchange this and hope to get a better screen or do I simply return it and continue using my iPad 4, tab reloads and all? It seems pointless to me to go through numerous exchanges if what I'm seeing is to be expected with the Air 2 (keep in mind that it's more subtle in RL than on the photo). So if you happen to own an Air 2 without these flaws (and no tinting, dead pixels atc.), please speak up. Likewise, if you've gone through numerous exchanges and all of them had these or similar flaws, please speak up as well. It'll give me an idea about which odds I'm up against.

Attachments

• air2screen.jpg
    air2screen.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 7,009

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Tried to get pics of mine but they didn't turn out. I have had every iPad since the first one except the 4.

The real first issue I had was the 3. It had a bit of yellow and a book spine. Just a bit of light bleed. I kept it and never got used to the discoloration. When I gave it to my husband he couldn't even see the difference. But it always bothered me. This is when I changed my reading habit to black background and white text. It was really visible in both iBooks and the Kindle app.

My Air1 was good. Even tones, but a tad bit warm. Well, kind of yellow but I got use to it. No bleed.

My Air2 is pristine. Very even color, not too warm, not too cool. Absolutely no bleed. Pretty much the best I've had.

But I do know the screens can vary a lot. Also from my experience with my husband I know that some people just can't see uneven colors. I suspect the reason I do is because I visit different sites. Because of this I will never say that people who have an issue are wrong and I will never say that those who don't see issues are wrong.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
It looks fine to me. All LCDs have some sort of uniformity issues as that is the nature of backlight but some have it minimal and some have it extreme. Your's looks fine to me and I guess that if I put a picture in photos app on then you won't be able to see it at all. Or you often stare at blank white canvas? :D :D :D

Maggiep67

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
I am on my second Air 2. The first one had a pink hue that was very noticeable.

I got some good advice on this very forum about that issue. They suggested that If I wasn't happy, I should exchange it. I did. The second screen is flawless.

If you're spending that kind of money on something you should be completely happy with it.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I understand your position. I've been fighting the same issue, but with a dark background (watching movies). I'm sure Apple is sourcing displays from multiple vendors. So there is a possibility that there are some Air 2's with a good display. We just haven't found one. I'm on exchange number 3 and I'm considering just getting a refund.

Here's my thread. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1810763/

TripleP

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
You're not alone. I'm on my second Air 2 and both have screen issues. The first had a yellow tint on bottom third of the screen in portrait view. This one is an improvement in that it has more uniform tint, but unfortunately is does have shadowing along the left edge in portrait view. Not as bad as yours, but it's definitely there. I sold an iPad 3 with a perfect screen to buy this, so I'm disappointed in the result, notwithstanding the other benefits of the Air 2. Trying to decide whether to just keep this one or try for another exchange. At this point I'm not confident that the next one will be any better.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
If you're not 100% happy with your purchase, take it back and get another one or get a refund. I have an Air 1, I went to buy the Air 2, on the table there was an Air 1 and an Air 2 side by side, I played around with both, I liked the Air 1 screen better as well as the sound, so I kept my Air 1.
Your screen doesn't look even at all, if it was me I'd be getting rid of it before it's too late.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
My first Air 2 had a slightly warm screen and a faint book spine effect down the left hand side. I ordered another which came on Monday and it's perfect for me. A cooler screen, perfectly uniform and no noticeable book spine effect.
This is a keeper and the first one if going back.

Danilo - Italy

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014
@Faelan

I agree 100%.

I have an IPad 4 and the screen is perfect. Almost all the iPad Air 2 I saw in the Apple Store (about ten) had a more bad screen. More precisely: two was good, three so and so, and five no good (like the one in you pic or more bad).

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Who got a perfect screen on the Air 2?

I'm on my third Air 2 - first two had dead pixels. Both were also a bit dim. Third attempt that I received last night looks better - no pixel issues that I can detect so far and the screen is definitely brighter. And much more even that the original Airs I tried. I eventually accepted an original Air with book spine after so many with yellow patches. This one has a very very faint blue tinge at the left hand side but no bleed and I'd say 95% perfect.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I'm gonna say I gotta "perfect" screen as compared to what others are reporting here. It's not 100% exactly pure even like it's a sheet of white photo paper, but there's nothing obvious on an all-white image like people are referring to.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
It looks fine to me. All LCDs have some sort of uniformity issues as that is the nature of backlight but some have it minimal and some have it extreme. Your's looks fine to me and I guess that if I put a picture in photos app on then you won't be able to see it at all. Or you often stare at blank white canvas? :D :D :D

This. I picked one up yesterday and I'm not going to obsess if there's a better screen than the one I have. A few years back I was caught in that return cycle and every replacement had something that warranted another replacement. I'm lucky my wife didn't have me committed.
As the above poster stated, when will you ever be looking at a blank canvas?
Enjoy the device and obsess with things that are worthy of your time.

Last edited:

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I have no idea tbh. Sometimes I think I see a blue or yellow hue here or there but later I don't see it. Usually I have to compare my ipad against another ipad to be able to tell if there's an overall tint issue. I'm not able to do that at the moment so ignorance is bliss as far as I'm concerned.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Perfect is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Use your device as normal and if you do not notice any issues then to all intents and purposes it is perfect - at least for you.
With my first Air 2, I noticed the imperfection straight away and easily when the keyboard is on screen. With my second, I see no issues at all. If I went through a battery of tests, I'm sure I would find some minor anomaly but there is nothing I will ever notice in day to day use so I'm satisfied.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
My Space Gray screen is perfect. The silver one I got for my mother had the spine book shadow in it and we exchanged it. The second was the same but very subtle so we kept it.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My iPad 3 had what appeared to be a perfect cool white screen. It took 3 returns, but my iPad 4 had a perfect screen, which was a warmer white (not yellow) and I came to prefer it. My first 3 iPad Airs had yellow tinted screens and my 4th which I kept had a very good but not perfect screen. It was slightly darker on left side in portrait but hardly noticeable unless looking for it. My new iPad Air 2 has a very slight book spine effect on the left but otherwise has a bright and even screen and I'm very happy with it. I looked at all the new Airs in the Apple store and noticed the book spine effect on all of them to some degree. The last really great screen I had was on my iPad 4, but the reduced size and weight of the Air was the deciding factor for me and same again for the new Air 2. I have learned that electronics are rarely perfect and if you find one you are happy with it is good enough. If you are unhappy with your screen however it is worth trying again for a better one that you will be happy with.

dk2b

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
I feel lucky to have not noticed any issues with my screen whatsoever. To be honest, after reading about all the screen issues I expected some flaws. I am very happy with the screen and everything else. So far she's perfect for me

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I went through 6 iPad Airs due to yellow tint across half the screen, pink tint on the whole screen, dust under the glass, bad book spine etc. I went thru 5 retina minis due to the bottom 3rd of the screen being yellow, bad screen flicker/interlace, book spine across the top by the status bar, and one that had flashing pixels across half the screen.

I was dreading receiving my Air 2, expecting some issue with it.

Thankfully, my screen is perfect, I couldn't be happier. If a problem doesn't jump out at me, then that's fine with me. I'm not going to spend my time staring at a blank white screen looking for tint/bookspine, sitting in a dark room with a black background and the brightness on 100% looking for backlight bleed, or stare at a checkerboard screen and switch to white to test for retention issues.... I'm just going to enjoy my iPad.

If there are issues, you'll see them straight away, and if not, then forget about it and STOP LOOKING FOR ISSUES :cool:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Mine is great. Very cool which I prefer, and very even. Thought I saw bookspine, but realized I was seeing things - there is none.

However, tried grabbing one for my wife. First one, horrid pink tint on bottom two inches of screen. Second one, left half of screen VERY yellow, third one, book spine and left third of screen noticeably yellow. Gave up at that point. Mine is also much cooler than the three we tried for my wife.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I'm always surprised by the amount of people with all these "Issues". No problems with my Air 2.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I went through 6 iPad Airs due to yellow tint across half the screen, pink tint on the whole screen, dust under the glass, bad book spine etc. I went thru 5 retina minis due to the bottom 3rd of the screen being yellow, bad screen flicker/interlace, book spine across the top by the status bar, and one that had flashing pixels across half the screen.

I was dreading receiving my Air 2, expecting some issue with it.

Thankfully, my screen is perfect, I couldn't be happier. If a problem doesn't jump out at me, then that's fine with me. I'm not going to spend my time staring at a blank white screen looking for tint/bookspine, sitting in a dark room with a black background and the brightness on 100% looking for backlight bleed, or stare at a checkerboard screen and switch to white to test for retention issues.... I'm just going to enjoy my iPad.

If there are issues, you'll see them straight away, and if not, then forget about it and STOP LOOKING FOR ISSUES :cool:

Very sensible post.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't see anything wrong with the OP's picture, unless he's planning to look at white screens all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.