Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Maybe it's a coincidence but I upgraded the wifey iphone to 8.0 and a few days later her battery drained like an Ebola infected man. I thought ok it's 8.0, so I upgraded to 8.0.2 and then 8.1 and still the same. I changed three different batteries and still the same. I tried turning off this and that and still no change. Finally I took the phone to the Apple store. They say a DFU restore won't help since I already restored from scratched and suggested turning off the motion home screen. (Really?!!!) Finally I said, F'it! The wife is pissed at me and nothing will get her iphone from draining in 4 - 5 hours to zero with nothing running. So I paid the $269 for a new iphone 5. Low and behold it came with 7.1.2. I will not upgrade to 8 ever! Now wifey is happy and I can get some peace of mind. Best $290 spent!!

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Maybe it's a coincidence but I upgraded the wifey iphone to 8.0 and a few days later her battery drained like an Ebola infected man. I thought ok it's 8.0, so I upgraded to 8.0.2 and then 8.1 and still the same. I changed three different batteries and still the same. I tried turning off this and that and still no change. Finally I took the phone to the Apple store. They say a DFU restore won't help since I already restored from scratched and suggested turning off the motion home screen. (Really?!!!) Finally I said, F'it! The wife is pissed at me and nothing will get her iphone from draining in 4 - 5 hours to zero with nothing running. So I paid the $269 for a new iphone 5. Low and behold it came with 7.1.2. I will not upgrade to 8 ever! Now wifey is happy and I can get some peace of mind. Best $290 spent!!
Isn't there a free replacement program for the iPhone 5?

BTW, what happened with the other $21?

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Isn't there a free replacement program for the iPhone 5?

BTW, what happened with the other $21?

If your Serial number is eligible, there sure is a replacement program. iPhone 5 battery recall from Apple.

Was out of warranty. $21 was tax.

OP, if you have the serial number, you should check it. If you are eligible, get the battery replaced for free and maybe your can return the one you bought for a refund. https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Last edited:

Faerie

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
I have an iPhone 6 now, but I used to have an iPhone 5 with really bad battery problems. Mine qualified for the battery replacement but they actually gave me a free replacement phone. Maybe because my power button was also broken..?

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Oh. I still don't get why tax is not included in the USA. It's so much more simple here.

Don't forget to check up on the serial number, if you're lucky enough to still have the serial number from the old phone.

Sales tax is different from state to state, and even sometimes within states it will be different from city to city.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Oh. I still don't get why tax is not included in the USA. It's so much more simple here.
LOL!!

My friend owns a typsetting business in Maryborough (Victoria). That's not what he says every time Adobe releases new software and he compares the AUS price with the US price! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.