Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbnoho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Actually, I have a two questions. So, I'll start with the quick and easy one. I just got this 2009 Mac Pro and have already flashed it to 5,1. So, hurray for the easy part. Now, without doing anything else can I buy 1333 memory and install it right now with the original 2.66 quad still inside. Or do I need to change the CPU to either a w3680 or w3690 first before the 1333 memory is usable.

Second, is this the same as a "w3690" that I can use in my computer? If it is, I was considering buying this system, hacking it apart and selling the pieces to more or less recoup some of the cost. The average w3690 goes for around $300 and the average w3680 goes for $230. I know everyone says it's only a 5% difference but I figure, why not get the best one now if it's not that much more just so I don't have to sit and think. Wonder if this would encode video faster if....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precis...1095030556?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5412f0e71c

Thanks everyone, I need to get this computer up to snuff soon. I had a Maxed out 2006 Mac Pro that would more or less run circles around this one in every area. So, hopefully after a few updates I won't be thinking that anymore.

And lastly, just for kicks. I am thinking of going 2x8 on the memory. I'm not sure if I'll need more than 16 gigs in the near future, but I can always add another 16. Is this right or should I just say F it, throw it on another credit card and get 1x16 with the knowledge that I can also add from there. Not cost effective. So, scratch that, I'll go with the 2x8 as I'm fairly certain anything else just sits.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Actually, I have a two questions. So, I'll start with the quick and easy one. I just got this 2009 Mac Pro and have already flashed it to 5,1. So, hurray for the easy part. Now, without doing anything else can I buy 1333 memory and install it right now with the original 2.66 quad still inside. Or do I need to change the CPU to either a w3680 or w3690 first before the 1333 memory is usable.

Yes, but it will run at 1066MHz until you install a CPU that will recognize and can run at 1333MHz.

Second, is this the same as a "w3690" that I can use in my computer? If it is, I was considering buying this system, hacking it apart and selling the pieces to more or less recoup some of the cost. The average w3690 goes for around $300 and the average w3680 goes for $230. I know everyone says it's only a 5% difference but I figure, why not get the best one now if it's not that much more just so I don't have to sit and think. Wonder if this would encode video faster if....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precis...1095030556?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5412f0e71c

Yes, many folks have done just that.

Thanks everyone, I need to get this computer up to snuff soon. I had a Maxed out 2006 Mac Pro that would more or less run circles around this one in every area. So, hopefully after a few updates I won't be thinking that anymore.

And lastly, just for kicks. I am thinking of going 2x8 on the memory. I'm not sure if I'll need more than 16 gigs in the near future, but I can always add another 16. Is this right or should I just say F it, throw it on another credit card and get 1x16 with the knowledge that I can also add from there. Not cost effective. So, scratch that, I'll go with the 2x8 as I'm fairly certain anything else just sits.

The class of CPU used in the 5,1 Mac Pro is 3 channel. For optimum performance it is recommended that you populate RAM slots 1, 2 and 3.

Answers in Red above.

Lou

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Now, without doing anything else can I buy 1333 memory and install it right now with the original 2.66 quad still inside.

Yes, you can.

----------

Second, is this the same as a "w3690" that I can use in my computer?

Yes, exactly the same CPU.

----------

I am thinking of going 2x8 on the memory. I'm not sure if I'll need more than 16 gigs in the near future, but I can always add another 16.

Correct, you can always add another 16G (2x8G) later. However, it may cause your RAM dorp 1-2% real world performance (depends on the software you use) because of the triple channel CPU architecture. If you are not even sure you need 16G or above. Start with 2x8 is good enough, and you can go for 3x8 later on. Not necessary jump from 16G to 32G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.