Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I've installed Windows 8.1 onto my brand-new Mac mini, and I cannot change the resolution without it going into "snow mode".

I'm also having problems with the internal speakers. System Sounds are coming through, but Chrome isn't.

Last edited:

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I've installed Windows 8.1 onto my brand-new Mac mini, and I cannot change the resolution without it going into "snow mode".
Why do you want to change the resolution? If it is for vision problems, it's better to change the screen DPI that windows uses. It's under "Make text and other items larger or smaller" in the screen resolution settings.

I'm also having problems with the internal speakers. System Sounds are coming through, but Chrome isn't.
You probably went into the mixer, and set the volume for applications really low. Press the speaker icon and hit the link 'Mixer' at the bottom. Side them all the way up, then adjust how you want them.

J232022

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
Over the years I have learned apple makes poor Windows software , The bootcamp drivers do not work good and I really recommend you try installing Windows in virtualbox it is free . You could also try installing in Vmware Fusion or Parallels but you will have to pay for those two programs . I thought Vmware made a free program called Vmware Player but that is only for Windows and Linux .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.