Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
pointless for drop protection? This is its only feature. How have you come to that conclusion?

Maybe because it will only really help if you drop your phone and it only hits a corner. The top, bottom, and sides are all left vulnerable. I had one open bottom case once and sure enough when I dropped it my phone landed on the bottom and caused small dings in the bottom of my iPhone 5. Since then I've only use cases that cover the tops and bottom or bumpers.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe because it will only really help if you drop your phone and it only hits a corner. The top, bottom, and sides are all left vulnerable. I had one open bottom case once and sure enough when I dropped it my phone landed on the bottom and caused small dings in the bottom of my iPhone 5. Since then I've only use cases that cover the tops and bottom or bumpers.

the case protects all sides from drops on flat surfaces including top bottom and sides -- due to the extrusion/lip of the case.

Now if you are hiking on terrain where there is jagged rocks, maybe you shouldn't have your phone out all willy nilly.

Personally I do not like the case, but it does offer complete drop protection for normal surfaces. It's just IMO taken the minimal thing a little too far.

Subjugator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010

This. I had the same exact thing happen with my 5s. The middle part of the bottom was open, the case covered the corners but that open part still hit the pavement and got a few dings. That was pavement, just hiking in rocky terrain or jagged rocks.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
the case protects all sides from drops on flat surfaces including top bottom and sides -- due to the extrusion/lip of the case.

Now if you are hiking on terrain where there is jagged rocks, maybe you shouldn't have your phone out all willy nilly.

Personally I do not like the case, but it does offer complete drop protection for normal surfaces. It's just IMO taken the minimal thing a little too far.

The case I was talking about in my post protruded from the sides and bottom. I was walking in a normal parking lot when I dropped my phone and caused the dings on the bottom. So the extrusion/lip is not going to keep the sides, top, and bottom from getting scratched or dinged in a fall. If that were the case then the extrusion on the case that I had would have kept my iPhone 5 from getting dinged.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana

Ahhh yes the perfect world theory. If only the phone would drop on a perfectly smooth, flat surface, that doesn't contain any debris or slight extrusions to hit the phone.

This "case" is a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.