Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Anyone mind to share the experience of playing WOW and Diablo III on the retina iMac 5K?

What setting do you use?

Is it smooth and playable?

What is your average FPS?

yugiyogi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Maaseik, Belgium
i've played Diablo 3 on the riMac :

on 2560x1440p on max options (everything on high & Anti Aliasing checked).

the Max foreground FPS was 70 FPS and most of the time it was at this max. sometimes dip to 60.

on 5K on max options between 20-30 FPS.

This was i5, 8GB ram, m295x, OSX. Did not have the time to install windows 8.1.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Anyone mind to share the experience of playing WOW and Diablo III on the retina iMac 5K?

What setting do you use?

Is it smooth and playable?

What is your average FPS?

it's awesome in Diablo 3. I'm running 2560x1440 with all settings at max. not blurry, not lagging... playing in rift runs with 4 players and gobs of mobs. like silk.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Anyone tried running everything max at 5k resolution?

I did. I got around 35FPS at full max @ 5k. However, they broke something badly with patch 6.0.3 and FPS went straight to hell.

They are aware of the problem and are fixing it.

XeRoNz

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
I've played WoW and BF4 by bootcamp on Windows and had no problems with patch 6.0.3.
On OSX it only played smooth with everything on low, although everything was waaaayyy more sharp on its lowest setting than i was used to on a 15" non-retina macbook pro.

On Windows i had a FPS around 80-100 with high settings on 4k (Windows doesn't support 5k).

Battlefield 4 is also great to experience on 4k, plays very smooth on the 295x!

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
So playing WOW in Windows is better than Yosemite?

Does Windows 8.1 even support Retina 5K?

XeRoNz

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Yeap, playing games by Bootcamp on mac has always been giving better performance than playing in OSX, same counts for Yosemite.

Windows doesn't support the full 5k, but it does support 4k. So the choice kinda is playing 5k in Yosemite with a crappy FPS or playing on Windows with 4k resolution and high settings, easy choice :)

It surprised me gaming is still running smooth on the machine, i'm really glad!

Also noteworthy: while gaming on OSX the fans kick in very fast while on Windows i barely hear anything for a long while and even after playing a while BF4 on high settings it's still running the fans on medium (not full). So i guess the heat on Windows is lower aswel.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Every game runs better on Windows than OS X

That means that I need to buy a copy of Windows 8....and with my 256GB SSD, I don't think I can make up enough of space to partition it.

Really don't feel like spending more money to buy Windows 8 just to play game.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
That means that I need to buy a copy of Windows 8....and with my 256GB SSD, I don't think I can make up enough of space to partition it.

Can't you boot it from a USB drive?

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
i've played Diablo 3 on the riMac :

on 2560x1440p on max options (everything on high & Anti Aliasing checked).

the Max foreground FPS was 70 FPS and most of the time it was at this max. sometimes dip to 60.

on 5K on max options between 20-30 FPS.

This was i5, 8GB ram, m295x, OSX. Did not have the time to install windows 8.1.

Do you think you might be able to download iStat and report back with what the temps are like? Particularly I'm interested in what "GPU die" gets up to. Google Hangouts causes GPU die for me to hit 100C, very curious if it's because Hangouts is incredibly inefficient or if it's another problem altogether.

forg0t

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Never try that before. How to do that?

Besides that I still have to buy Windows 8.

I have my Windows 7 partition running off a thunderbolt adapter, runs pretty smooth but I'm bottlenecked by using a laptop HDD which is probably SATAII, if even that.

vir3l

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
wow in whatever setting as well as all other games i tried on mac make gpu temp > 100 C

CrankItUp

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
Germany
wow in whatever setting as well as all other games i tried on mac make gpu temp > 100 C

Jep, heavy gpu load leads to 105/106°C and ends up in GPU throttling.. (only on the m295x) but that seems to be normal according to an apple technician

Astelith

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Spain/Italy
Jep, heavy gpu load leads to 105/106°C and ends up in GPU throttling.. (only on the m295x) but that seems to be normal according to an apple technician
Depends, so far we have macs (like mine) running at max 100/101° and others going above to 105/106, it's random luck :confused:

But for WoW I suggest to run at 5K @ ultra except Shadow and Water at the minimum possible, not a big deal for the graphical impact but this will grant you fps from 40 to 60+ (and better put a limiter @ 60fps to save on temp and fan speed). Istance are most of the time capped at 60fps, raid and battleground I suggest to lower a bit the effects detail in the built raid and battleground tab.

I'm playing WoW with this settings since December and it's perfect, at 5K is stunning.

CrankItUp

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
Germany
Excessive load under OS X led to a maximum of 100°C contrary to Bootcamp (105/06°)

Seems that the Bootcamp drivers aren't perfectly optimized yet. But shouldn't be a problem.. i saw MacBooks went up to 130° :D no joke.. There are already thousands or hundred thousands sold 5k iMacs out there with that m295x and every single one ends in that temp range of 100°-106° unter heavy usage..

Astelith

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Spain/Italy
Excessive load under OS X led to a maximum of 100°C contrary to Bootcamp (105/06°)

Seems that the Bootcamp drivers aren't perfectly optimized yet. But shouldn't be a problem.. i saw MacBooks went up to 130° :D no joke.. There are already thousands or hundred thousands sold 5k iMacs out there with that m295x and every single one ends in that temp range of 100°-106° unter heavy usage..
It seems that there's no difference from OS X and Win, only from mac to mac, mine stays "low" (100) also in Windows, and others goes to 105 in OS X too.
Anyway, I don't think this will cause damage, only more fan noise of difference.

But while playing who really cares about fan noise ? :)

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

Never try that before. How to do that?

Besides that I still have to buy Windows 8.

Windows runs great on an external Thunderbolt drive with SSD inside. And yes the extra $100 for a Windows license is annoying!

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.