Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

timcook.png
In a letter written for Bloomberg Businessweek, Apple CEO Tim Cook has publicly come out as gay while declaring his support for equality.

Cook, who has typically kept a low profile on his personal life, says that his decision to publicly acknowledge his sexuality was done to "bring comfort to anyone who feels alone" and to "inspire people to insist on their equality."
I'll admit that this wasn't an easy choice. Privacy remains important to me, and I'd like to hold on to a small amount of it. I've made Apple my life's work, and I will continue to spend virtually all of my waking time focused on being the best CEO I can be. That's what our employees deserve--and our customers, developers, shareholders, and supplier partners deserve it, too. Part of social progress is understanding that a person is not defined only by one's sexuality, race, or gender. I'm an engineer, an uncle, a nature lover, a fitness nut, a son of the South, a sports fanatic, and many other things. I hope that people will respect my desire to focus on the things I'm best suited for and the work that brings me joy.
Cook has expressed his thoughts on equality numerous times throughout the past couple of years, which include highlighting the subject in a speech at his alma mater Auburn University and establishing his and Apple's support for the Employment Nondiscrimination Act in an op-ed written for The Wall Street Journal.

Earlier this year, Apple also marched in support of the LGBT community during the 44th annual Pride parade, and issued a statement in support of Supreme Court gay marriage rulings in 2013. The company also has a section about diversity on its website, which goes into detail about its efforts towards improving employee diversity and its commitment towards equality and human rights.

Note: Due to the controversial nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Publicly Comes Out as Gay in Letter Declaring Support for Equality

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I did post this already and their's no need to attack him, he's not trying to force his sexuality upon others, be more concerned about running Apple.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Good on Tim for coming out.
Supporting him all the way.

Also, this is going to make Apple seem more hip.

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Who knew? I didn't. Undoubtedly an important move to go public with it, even though I really don't factor in the sexual preferences of the CEO of any company when I consider their products or services.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Good for him.
Its 2014 though. You'd think we were past having to fight for equality.
Unfortunately, we aren't. :( Especially not for a company as large as Apple, with branches into countries with far worse conditions than many in the Western world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.