Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/droid-turbo-battery-life,news-19846.html

Only about 8 hours of usage for the Droid Turbo? Pretty dissapointing to be honest...they stick a 3900 mAh battery inside there!!! What a dissapointment, the phone is a brick at its center and middle(over 10mm thick) for the room for massive battery, and you only get that much battery life out of it?

Maybe they shouldnt of went with the useless Quad HD display or the 805 which is a power sapping ,not the most power efficient SoC,

The Plus with a 2900 mAh battery gets more battery life then this thing and the Turbo has a battery 1000 MAh larger...my 4.7 inch iPhone 6 gets 6-7 hours of usage on a 1810 mAh battery...cmon Motorola...

Now were gonna see dissapointing camera samples from the Droid Turbo next because Moto cameras have always sucked..Sigh...

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up Bahroo :)

Really wish manufacturers wouldn't focus so much on the ****ing pixels and instead focus more on INSANE battery life instead. I mean would it have really devalued the Droid Turbo to have a 1080p screen so they can squeeze in another 2-3 hours of battery?

Of course I won't jump to any conclusions just based on one review, I'll need to see what GSMarena, ArsTechnica, and Anandtech have to say...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
That's disappointing.

Personally I don't care about qhd screen

It helps and is good on phones with displays larger then 5.5 inch, but anything under that Quad HD is essentially useless.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
It got 9.5 hours of testing on Verizon 4g LTE and does not state the signal strength vs the one plus on att.

The snap dragon 805 is going in all flagship phones and is not the issue.

To many variables in this review.the modem can eat up so much power if the signal is weak.

They should of used WiFi between all phones

----------

It helps and is good on phones with displays larger then 5.5 inch, but anything under that Quad HD is essentially useless.

Funny everyone here said the same thing going from 720p to 1080p and I can easily see the difference

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It got 9.5 hours of testing on Verizon 4g LTE and does not state the signal strength vs the one plus on att.

To many variables in this review.the modem can eat up so much power if the signal is weak.

----------

Funny everyone here said the same thing going from 720p to 1080p and I can easily see the difference

I still don't see the difference between my 750p iP6, 1080p iP6+ and 2K iPad Air 2.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's disappointing.

Personally I don't care about qhd screen

Agreed--a nice to have feature, but not at the expense of performance. Let's focus on improving battery performance and power efficiency further before ramping up the pixels.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Agreed--a nice to have feature, but not at the expense of performance. Let's focus on improving battery performance and power efficiency further before ramping up the pixels.
I picked a Droid Turbo today....will be able to speak to the battery after a cycle or so.....

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012

----------

720p to 1080p is a nice little noticeable difference but once your past 400 PPI, 1080p resolution, it is essentially impossible to tell and detect really

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I picked a Droid Turbo today....will be able to speak to the battery after a cycle or so.....

Shot fired across MRU's bow. ;)

Do you guys have some sort of wager on who will finish the year with the most new devices? :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Shot fired across MRU's bow. ;)

Do you guys have some sort of wager on who will finish the year with the most new devices? :D
no......i had the N6 on my radar...but after that launch fiasco....who knows when it will be available. So I got the Turbo. :)

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Got around 2 hours more than the iPhone 6 did on verizon. I noticed the Verizon phones got hammered the hardest.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
720p to 1080p is a nice little noticeable difference but once your past 400 PPI, 1080p resolution, it is essentially impossible to tell and detect really

I can easily see the note 4 has a sharper screen vs the note 3 when having them side by side.

Its funny how now its 400ppi is the max people can see when apple finally has a 1080p screen.

Go put the notes side by side at the store and see for your self and an eye doctor on this very site said people can tell the difference up to about 900ppi

Here is what the president of display mate says

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-30-21-44-22.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-30-21-44-22.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Should have stuck to 1080p. Simple as that. Also the 805 is faster which means it is faster at killing battery life. What efficiency it has doesn't always balance out its stamina if the screen is 2k and has a higher clocked SoC.

I guess Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with its 720p display and Snapdragon 801 is still king based on SOT usage. I don't really care if Motorola or Google's Project Volta improves its standby usage with power saving modes and future updates. Screen on time means more to me since I'm actually using my phone.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
I can easily see the note 4 has a sharper screen vs the note 3 when having them side by side.

Its funny how now its 400ppi is the max people can see when apple finally has a 1080p screen.

Go put the notes side by side at the store and see for your self and an eye doctor on this very site said people can tell the difference up to about 900ppi

Here is what the president of display mate says

first of all the reason why you can tell the difference between the Note 3 and 4 display clearly is because both use Pentile Displays

blue and red sub pixels on Pen Tile displays are as full as the green subpixels on Pentile, this is why people have complained about Pentile in the pass for its blurryness before the S4 and 1080p panels from Samsung started coming out.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

look at the "20/20 vision distance where pixels or sub-pixels are not resolved" 12.5 inches away you can see pixelation and resolve for red and blue subpixels/pixels and it is 8.9 inches away for white and green subpixels/pixels

the Galaxy Note 3 has a PPI of 388, green SPPI is 388, and the red and blue sub pixel PPI count is only 274 PPI, this means when blue/reddish content is on screen, it can look blurrier, Quad HD resolution is super high res and pretty much covers this effect

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm

now look at the "20/20 vision distance where pixels or sub-pixels are not resolved" for Note 4

"6.6 inches for White and Green Sub-Pixels with 20/20 Vision"
"9.4 inches for Red and Blue Sub-Pixels with 20/20 Vision"

518 PPI with green subpixels and 366 PPI for red and blue subpixels, a very nice PPI bump from the Galaxy Note 3, which is why you are easily able to tell the difference in sharpness, it's because of super high resolution like Quad HD that its so much pixels that it basically eliminates the Pentile effect

rgb-v-rgbw-circle-chart.png

Pentile is pentile layout, not RGB pixel layout where all 3 colors are equal in PPI so look at the Note 4 shootout

On Pentile displays, there is a big difference in sharpness, but on RGB layout panels (for the record, Motorola's OLED screens use RGB layout so it doesn't have lesser red and blue subpixels, they are all equal) once you really past the 400 ish PPI mark in smartphones and displays it's basically impossible to see extra pixels

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

see iPhone 6 Plus's now it says at 8.6 inches with 20/20 Vision you can resolve pixels ad see pixelation (highly doubt this if you can though even looking up close hard, its 8.6 for all subpixels and colors because it uses RGB pixel layout, not Pentile

look up Pentile effect and what it does, and then you will know why it makes a big difference in displays that use Pentile layout (basically only Samsung products do now)

This is why even though the Galaxy S3 screen was 720p and around 4.7 inches (vs the competition at the time also using 720p displays like One X, etc but using RGB layout) that the One X displays and competitors using same resolution 720p display resolution as the Galaxy S3 looked noticeably sharper, even though the S3 has a "PPI of 310" (roughly around 310 PPI) but that the sub pixels of red and blue are noticeably lower then 310 PPI

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
first of all the reason why you can tell the difference between the Note 3 and 4 display clearly is because both use Pentile Displays

blue and red sub pixels on Pen Tile displays are as full as the green subpixels on Pentile, this is why people have complained about Pentile in the pass for its blurryness before the S4 and 1080p panels from Samsung started coming out.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

look at the "20/20 vision distance where pixels or sub-pixels are not resolved" 12.5 inches away you can see pixelation and resolve for red and blue subpixels/pixels and it is 8.9 inches away for white and green subpixels/pixels

the Galaxy Note 3 has a PPI of 388, green SPPI is 388, and the red and blue sub pixel PPI count is only 274 PPI, this means when blue/reddish content is on screen, it can look blurrier, Quad HD resolution is super high res and pretty much covers this effect

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm

now look at the "20/20 vision distance where pixels or sub-pixels are not resolved" for Note 4

"6.6 inches for White and Green Sub-Pixels with 20/20 Vision"
"9.4 inches for Red and Blue Sub-Pixels with 20/20 Vision"

518 PPI with green subpixels and 366 PPI for red and blue subpixels, a very nice PPI bump from the Galaxy Note 3, which is why you are easily able to tell the difference in sharpness, it's because of super high resolution like Quad HD that its so much pixels that it basically eliminates the Pentile effect

Pentile is pentile layout, not RGB pixel layout where all 3 colors are equal in PPI so look at the Note 4 shootout

On Pentile displays, there is a big difference in sharpness, but on RGB layout panels (for the record, Motorola's OLED screens use RGB layout so it doesn't have lesser red and blue subpixels, they are all equal) once you really past the 400 ish PPI mark in smartphones and displays it's basically impossible to see extra pixels

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

see iPhone 6 Plus's now it says at 8.6 inches with 20/20 Vision you can resolve pixels ad see pixelation (highly doubt this if you can though even looking up close hard, its 8.6 for all subpixels and colors because it uses RGB pixel layout, not Pentile

look up Pentile effect and what it does, and then you will know why it makes a big difference in displays that use Pentile layout (basically only Samsung products do now)

This is why even though the Galaxy S3 screen was 720p and around 4.7 inches (vs the competition at the time also using 720p displays like One X, etc but using RGB layout) that the One X displays and competitors using same resolution 720p display resolution as the Galaxy S3 looked noticeably sharper, even though the S3 has a "PPI of 310" (roughly around 310 PPI) but that the sub pixels of red and blue are noticeably lower then 310 PPI

I don't know why you are getting into sub pixels but the point of my post is people can tell a difference above 400 PPI and even displaymate says at 8 inches you would need well over 700ppi using non pentile display to get true retena and many people have better then 20/20 vision and can tell up to almost 900ppi before going full retina

The owner of display mate called out apple when the said the iPhone had true retina display and said it would need 716ppi in the iPhone 4 and be 8 inches away to be able to be called true retina and that was with 20/20 vision and not for people with better vision

Your kinda contradicting yourself because you say 400ppi is enough and then say the note 4 can see a difference because its pentile and needs its 515 PPI but then say people can't tell a difference with the droid turbo when its using the same pentile amoled display like the note 4 is.

Last edited:

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/droid-turbo-battery-life,news-19846.html

Only about 8 hours of usage for the Droid Turbo? Pretty dissapointing to be honest...they stick a 3900 mAh battery inside there!!! What a dissapointment, the phone is a brick at its center and middle(over 10mm thick) for the room for massive battery, and you only get that much battery life out of it?

Maybe they shouldnt of went with the useless Quad HD display or the 805 which is a power sapping ,not the most power efficient SoC,

The Plus with a 2900 mAh battery gets more battery life then this thing and the Turbo has a battery 1000 MAh larger...my 4.7 inch iPhone 6 gets 6-7 hours of usage on a 1810 mAh battery...cmon Motorola...

Now were gonna see dissapointing camera samples from the Droid Turbo next because Moto cameras have always sucked..Sigh...

Nexus 6 camera has been highly praised.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
I don't know why you are getting into sub pixels but the point of my post is people can tell a difference above 400 PPI and even displaymate says at 8 inches you would need well over 700ppi using non pentile display to get true retena and many people have better then 20/20 vision and can tell up to almost 900ppi before going full retina

The owner of display mate called out apple when the said the iPhone had true retina display and said it would need 716ppi in the iPhone 4 and be 8 inches away to be able to be called true retina and that was with 20/20 vision and not for people with better vision

Your kinda contradicting yourself because you say 400ppi is enough and then say the note 4 can see a difference because its pentile and needs its 515 PPI but then say people can't tell a difference with the droid turbo when its using the same pentile amoled display like the note 4 is.

Actually thats where your wrong on the Droid Turbo having a Pentile display, no Motorola phone uses pentile, they all use RGB layout , the Droid turbo doesnt use a Pentile display.

You can see a difference between note 3 and note 4 BECAUSE OF PENTILE man that is why, because there is one less red and blue subpixel in a pixel makeup!

Honestly Ive stared at the 6 Plus screen and M8 and Note 4 side by side with same images and they all look equally sharp and ridiculously clear, I highly doubt you can tell the image quality difference, it is so minute,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.