Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon-250x250.jpg
Since OS X Yosemite's October 16 launch, MacRumors has been receiving a number of complaints from users who have been experiencing Wi-Fi issues. Extensive threads about Wi-Fi problems have surfaced on both the MacRumors forums and on Apple's own Support Communities as well, suggesting there are quite a few users who are seeing Wi-Fi connection issues after installing Yosemite.

According to the complaints, Wi-Fi connections are sometimes extremely slow, resulting in long loading times, and in some cases, users are seeing their Wi-Fi connections disconnect continually after just a few minutes of being connected.
Since upgrading to Yosemite, my previously-stable (with Mavericks) wifi connection keeps dropping. I have to click the wifi icon and re-select my network every minute or two. I have turned off bluetooth and uninstalled/reinstalled wifi and my networks. I have rebooted multiple times. No luck so far. It appears that others are having similar problems.
The problems appear to be affecting a wide range of different MacBooks, different routers, and users in different locations. A number of different fixes have been suggested on various forums, but it does not appear that any one solution works for everyone, suggesting there may be an issue with Yosemite that needs to be addressed in a future update.

Some users have had luck disabling Bluetooth, turning off Handoff, creating new Network Locations, doing a clean Yosemite install, setting a router to "G-mode only," turning off Dropbox syncing, disabling WPA router encryption, or turning off all proxies in Network preferences, but other users have not been able to solve their Wi-Fi problems at all even attempting all of the above listed solutions. Swapping to a 2.4GHz band has, however, worked for a large number of users.

Apple support representatives have supplied users with different solutions that have included removing excess preferred networks in the Network section of System Preferences and resetting the System Management Controller.

OS X Daily has written an in-depth tutorial on how to fix the Wi-Fi problems in OS X Yosemite, which involves several steps like deleting preference files, creating custom DNS settings, and refreshing the discoveryd service, but for users who can't find a fix, the site recommends downgrading to OS X Mavericks until Yosemite is updated.

Users attempting any of the highly technical fixes above should make a Time Machine backup ahead of time and use caution when deleting any system files. Thus far, there is no word on when a Yosemite update might come as Apple has not yet released any betas to developers.

Article Link: Some OS X Yosemite Users Plagued With Wi-Fi Connection Issues

Last edited:

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Yup. I'm affected as well. Drops all the time, when waking up the computer I usually have to turn wifi off and on for it to work correctly too. I have a rMBP.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Glad it's not just me, my late 2011 MacBook Pro 15 inch drops connection and my new 13 inch retina has an extremely slow wifi connection.

Robotti

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
My problem exactly. Even loading this forum reply page took like 10+ seconds. And I cannot use Spotify web play without constant interruptions, which drives me crazy.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
2011 MacBook Air here. The issue I've experienced is that sometimes when waking from sleep the MacBook does not want to reconnect to wi-fi.

I've resorted to dumping the profile and restarting my base station in some cases to make the connection.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Another Reason to Wait

I heard this, wifi problem, from a close friend who always updates the second Apple releases a update. Needless to say, I'm going to wait until most of the issues are resolved, although I'm really chomping to use some of the new Yosemite features.

Hopefully Apple will be speedy on the fixes to any "issues."

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. The wifi at school is always a bit finicky, but since Yosemite it's disconnecting every 2 minutes sometimes. At home it's fine, so I wasn't sure if it was a Yosemite or school wifi issue. Hope this is fixed soon.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I have been running 10.10 all summer and working with the final candidate build on my rMBP. Are these issues just found with the general public release?

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
27" iMac (late 2012) and I have this problem all the time (started in the dev previews)

13" MBA (late? 2011) no problems
15" rMBP (mid? 2012) no problems
15" rMBP (late 2013) no problems

LordDeath

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
This happens to me when I connect to my university's eduroam network.

Is stays stable as long as I am on the 2.4 GHz frequency band but the issue appears as soon as I am on a 5 GHz network.
Unfortunately they have set up both networks to have the same SSID and I did not find a way to force the older frequency band in OS X.

edit:
At home my 5 GHz AP with WPA-Personal authentication works without any problems. Maybe this could be related to WPA-Enterprise used on eduroam?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.