Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Hi guys,

I have never migrated accounts and data between old and new Macs. It had its upsides, like having a fresh, clean OS X, but downsides as well: installing all the apps, setting all the preferences and getting rid of an old Time Machine back up, which was the biggest pain in the a*s.
Therefore I have some questions related to migrating data from backups to a new Mac and I would be very grateful if you could shed some light on that matter.
So I'll probably be getting a 13-inch rMBP that will replace a 15" MBP, where I had two drives (128GB SSD for system and apps + 750GB HDD for media), which I both backed up with Time Machine on a Time Capsule.
Now, if I use the migration assistant to transfer everything onto a new Mac, will it transfer everything correctly, when the new Mac has only 1 drive?
Also, I stored the iTunes library on the second drive, because of the space constraint on the SSD. Can you tell me (or guess:) if it will work properly if transferred to a single drive on the new Mac?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.