Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:01 PM   #1
UWF404
macrumors regular

Powerbook Desktop?

Last night I dropped my 12" Powerbook and hosed the LCD screen. It's toast so I now have a Powerbook desktop. This might be a dumb question but can I use the Powerbook with keyboard and mouse with LCD closed? I'd like to attach a monitor to it but not sure if it can be used with the lid shut??
UWF404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2
japasneezemonk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWF404
Last night I dropped my 12" Powerbook and hosed the LCD screen. It's toast so I now have a Powerbook desktop. This might be a dumb question but can I use the Powerbook with keyboard and mouse with LCD closed? I'd like to attach a monitor to it but not sure if it can be used with the lid shut??
You can definetly use it with the lid shut. Just hook up the external monitor and power brick and the PB should detect the display.
japasneezemonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:26 PM   #3
jrk07
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jrk07
I remember seeing one of the MacRumor member's setup where he had a Powerbook in a drawer with it hooked up to his monitor/keyboard/mouse and would look and work great when the drawer was closed.

Sorry to hear what happened tho. I've never had a laptop and I always fear that this is what I'd end up doing if I ever got one. I would probably be safer with the iBook so I don't dent the crap out of it. Good luck with your "desktop" setup Powerbook.
jrk07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:36 PM   #4
p0intblank
macrumors 68030

As the others are saying, yes, you can definitely do this. Sorry to hear about your accident. But hey, think on the bright side... you have an extremely thin desktop now.

Heads will turn!
The #1 source for accessories compatible with Apple's new Mac Pro
Have a suggestion? Contact me here!
p0intblank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:44 PM   #5
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Ouch, sorry to hear about your PowerBook. Here's a few tips to get your PowerBook running on an external display without using the built-in 12" LCD screen.

First you need to hook up an external monitor to your PowerBook, now plug in a USB keyboard or mouse. Then put the PowerBook to sleep. When the PowerBook is asleep and the lid is closed click the external mouse or press the space bar on the external keyboard. This will cause the PowerBook to wake up and disable the built-in LCD screen. The PowerBook may get warmer than usual but, once it disabled the LCD screen you can open the lid to help it cool off.

Hope that works
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 04:52 PM   #6
UWF404
macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips.. I was able to set this up connecting the monitor and peripherals directly to the Powerbook but have had no luck with a KVM switch.

I was trying to share the keyboard, mouse and VGA monitor with the a PC and the Powerbook. I'm using a IOGEAR KVM, 2 port USB switch. I've got a Apple keyboard, USB mouse and VGA plugged in to the IOGEAR KVM. However the switch does not seem to recognize the Powerbook as powered. The LED on the IOGEAR for the Powerbook does not come on. It works fine for the PC but nothing for the MAC. It is a multi platform KVM and supports MAC and Win via USB.

Am I missing something??
UWF404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs