Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gijoto5891

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Hi everybody,
I 'd like to ask your help about OS X server.
I have currently 2 computers, one macbook and one imac.
I would like to work on my files directly in the cloud, without modifying them locally.
Can I do this with OS X server?
All I need is to access the files via internet and modify them directly in the cloud.
For example, opening a microsoft word document on one computer, modify it, click on the save button and then open the same file from the second computer.
Do you think OS X server can allow me to do this?
Thank you!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi everybody,
I 'd like to ask your help about OS X server.
I have currently 2 computers, one macbook and one imac.
I would like to work on my files directly in the cloud, without modifying them locally.
Can I do this with OS X server?
All I need is to access the files via internet and modify them directly in the cloud.
For example, opening a microsoft word document on one computer, modify it, click on the save button and then open the same file from the second computer.
Do you think OS X server can allow me to do this?
Thank you!

You can't really do that with OS X Server. You can run file sharing on it, and connect to that on both computers, but you'll find it's much less work to do what you want by signing up for Dropbox, or just using iCloud Drive.

Gijoto5891

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
You can't really do that with OS X Server. You can run file sharing on it, and connect to that on both computers, but you'll find it's much less work to do what you want by signing up for Dropbox, or just using iCloud Drive.

Thank you very much for your help!
If I use Dropbox, when I work on a file, this file is saved first on the computer and then on the Cloud, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.