Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

konradsa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
My local BestBuys seem to all have the white 64 GBs in stock, but blacks ones seem to be in short supply.

Is black more popular, or did Apple mostly manufacture white ones this time around?

m3tric

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
I don't know but it's sure annoying. Can't find SG of any size at any Best Buys for the trade in deal.

yunro

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
My local BestBuys seem to all have the white 64 GBs in stock, but blacks ones seem to be in short supply.

Is black more popular, or did Apple mostly manufacture white ones this time around?

It is an annoying problem, all the Apple Stores seem to have plenty of stock, so if it is a manufacturing issue they are hoarding them all for themselves, or Best Buy underestimated demand.

danthe93

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014

I guess they are in great demand as compared to other models

m3tric

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
It's odd, because all 5 of the Apple stores near me have every wifi size & color in plentiful supply. But Best Buy seems like they ordered mainly gold and silver, hardly any space gray.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
It's odd, because all 5 of the Apple stores near me have every wifi size & color in plentiful supply. But Best Buy seems like they ordered mainly gold and silver, hardly any space gray.

Same issue here. Called them and they said virtually no warehouses nationwide has them. Which is absurd.

jks2014

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
same,
my local telecos have extremely limited stock for space grey coloured iPad air 2 with 4G
while plenty of 16gb for gold color

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Hm. This concerns me greatly because I've been thinking about doing the iPad trade-in deal to upgrade from the 4 to the Air 2. However, while I like my white iPhone, I am strictly a black-bezel iPad man. I don't like a white rectangle around my netflix screen... hmm...

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Looks like I got lucky last week then. Did the trade in on my sons iPad 2 16GB at Best Buy, but had to go to the other store across town to get the only one they had in the region. Lucky

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Looks like I got lucky last week then. Did the trade in on my sons iPad 2 16GB at Best Buy, but had to go to the other store across town to get the only one they had in the region. Lucky

Apparently I was equally lucky...bestbuy.com showed that one of the stores near me had stock on the 64GB space gray WiFi model last week, so I went over there with my trade. When I arrived they claimed they didn't have any, but after I showed them the info on the website, they double-checked and found that three (!) had just been delivered. So I took one, site showed inventory was gone by the end of the day, and I haven't seen them pop up again anywhere near me since.

Just good timing, I guess.

AnthonyS621

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014

I went to best buy today, they are out and the man said they are getting a blind shipment from Apple this week( means they don't know what date just that it is this week)

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Same here. Been pestering them all week and no SG 64gbs. They won't even order one for me (can't I guess).

NOTE: my local Best Buy used to have the iPad area up front, but since the Air 2 launch they removed it and now have the iPads with the Macs. Don't know if it's temporary but found it odd.

m3tric

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
So...if you live in Prattville, AL or Houma, LA, they have 64GB space gray available. The rest of the entire United States...not so much.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Same here. Been pestering them all week and no SG 64gbs. They won't even order one for me (can't I guess).

NOTE: my local Best Buy used to have the iPad area up front, but since the Air 2 launch they removed it and now have the iPads with the Macs. Don't know if it's temporary but found it odd.

Same at mine. iPads used to be right up front with all e other tablets but now it's in the back sort of squeezed into the Mac section. I wonder if this is part of some deal with Samsung because when I walk into my Best Buy I'm pretty much in their Samsung mini-store and seeing mostly Samsung employees rather than Best Buy employees.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
So nutty. I'm in L.A., a pretty techy city and also a very Apple-centric city and you cannot get a space grey ipad in 64 or 128 sizes at Best Buy. They won't even let you order them on the website. They are listed as outright unavailable. Yet the apple stores are full of them... Silver ones are also hard to find. Seems Best Buy is in the gold ipad business. Very odd.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
So nutty. I'm in L.A., a pretty techy city and also a very Apple-centric city and you cannot get a space grey ipad in 64 or 128 sizes at Best Buy. They won't even let you order them on the website. They are listed as outright unavailable. Yet the apple stores are full of them... Silver ones are also hard to find. Seems Best Buy is in the gold ipad business. Very odd.

The 64 gb silver Tmobile version has a wait time of 6 to 8 weeks...Silver seems more hard to find than the space grey....

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Same at mine. iPads used to be right up front with all e other tablets but now it's in the back sort of squeezed into the Mac section. I wonder if this is part of some deal with Samsung because when I walk into my Best Buy I'm pretty much in their Samsung mini-store and seeing mostly Samsung employees rather than Best Buy employees.

Same thought I had. Samsung area was directly after the iPad stand, which I'm sure they were working to change.

Can't blame Best Buy. I'm certain their margins are better on Samsung products, not to mention the need for Geek Squad support on them keeping the business flowing.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
Just order from Apple. I rather buy from them then Best Buy. Best Buy is a joke.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

I think they were ordered in even amounts of all 3 colors at BB but since iPad Air 2 seems (to me) to be more of a hard core :apple: fan upgrade (mostly male geeks) Space Grey/Black is the one most of the current audience wants.

Only a theory before anyone jumps down my throat.

m3tric

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
Just order from Apple. I rather buy from them then Best Buy. Best Buy is a joke.

Not when you can save close to $300 buying from Best Buy. Finally got my space gray today! Got sucked in and splurged on a 128GB wifi. ~$440 out the door with my iPad 3 trade in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.