Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced the immediate launch of a new Outlook for Mac for Office 365 users, bringing a new look and a number of improvements as leaked earlier this week.
The new Outlook for Mac includes:

- Better performance and reliability as a result of a new threading model and database improvements.
- A new modern user interface with improved scrolling and agility when switching between Ribbon tabs.
- Online archive support for searching Exchange (online or on-premises) archived mail.
- Master Category List support and enhancements delivering access to category lists (name and color) and sync between Mac, Windows and OWA clients.
- Office 365 push email support for real-time email delivery.
- Faster first-run and email download experience with improved Exchange Web Services syncing.
outlook_mac_2014.jpg
New Outlook for Mac
Office 365 subscribers can access the new Outlook for Mac through their account pages, while subscribers who already have Outlook for Mac 2011 suite installed on their machines should follow these instructions for moving to the new Outlook for Mac.

Microsoft also provided an update on the next full version of Office for Mac, noting that development on the suite had been pushed back from its usual schedule due to Microsoft's work on prioritizing mobile and cloud development. The latest roadmap for Office for Mac, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote includes a public beta launching in the first half of 2015 and a final release coming in the second half of the year. Both Office 365 and perpetual license versions will launch in the same timeframe. Some details on the next Office for Mac were also leaked earlier this week.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches New Outlook for Mac, Next Office for Mac Suite Coming in Second Half of 2015

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Roll on Word for Mac 2015! Seriously needed by students everywhere lol.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
365 only? Why is MS begging companies to move away from their enterprise software?

Also, you should note that it's for Outlook 365 subscribers only. While my company uses Office 365, we have our own internal Exchange servers, so the new Outlook is useless as it won't activate.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I hate Outlook

I have hated Outlook for over a decade. When I was doing IT work up until last year I could tell the users that used it rather than Thunderbird; they called for help a lot more often. It's buggy, flaky, unintuitive, and designed by morons. It's the default email client where I work and I use Mail on my iPad most of the time just because I hate it so much. Looking down the list of "improvements" to Outlook I don't see anything that would change my opinion.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I'll try it but Mail will be hard to beat.

Update: Nothing innovative, just a basic email client. I'll stick with Mail. I might even drop Office 365 when it is time to renew after seeing it.

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I wonder if Office 2015 will actually be more compatible with files created from the Windows versions of Office than LibreOffice?

Too bad they don't just do 100% port. With a universal architecture for all plugins, PST for Outlook, Visual Basic, &c. Rather than the neglected stepchild versions they currently make.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Finally proper onenote support in OSX. Disappointed I have to wait another full year though.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Finally proper onenote support in OSX. Disappointed I have to wait another full year though.

What's wrong with current OneNote? Outside of doodling...

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
As soon has this suite is available for the Mac in 2015, I'm all in with OneDrive subs.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
What's wrong with current OneNote? Outside of doodling...

It lacks about 90% of the features of the windows version. For instance, you can't even load locally stored onenote files. It is just a light version to compete with evernote, not a full office program like in windows.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
It lacks about 90% of the features of the windows version. For instance, you can't even load locally stored onenote files. It is just a light version to compete with evernote, not a full office program like in windows.

Ahh, I see. Not sure that's 90%. Never used locally stored anyway because I need access to my onenote files across many computers.

MaxSB7

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
It took them over 4 years to turn Outlook into a subscription based clone of Apple Mail? Unimpressed.

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
But Did They Fix the Constant Need to Enter Passwords?

Good that Microsoft has issues an update for Outlook for Mac. I am eager to try. But the real issue is did they come up with a fix for all the time I have to re-enter my password. If this does not fix, I am about ready to give up on 365.

Don Barar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.