Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hello,

I bought a second hand Mac Pro this summer, but had to send it back to the seller, due to an error showing up in the Apple Hardware Test. (I have one year warranty)

Now I received the Mac back and I wanted to run the test, just to see if it's all okay, and it doesn't seem to work. The seller has changed the hard drive with a different version of Mavericks, because something with my Mavericks was weird apparently (I've installed it from a USB drive).

I've tried starting the test by holding the D key, then Alt + D, but nothing happens, I land on the desktop each time.

Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks a lot.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hello,

I bought a second hand Mac Pro this summer, but had to send it back to the seller, due to an error showing up in the Apple Hardware Test. (I have one year warranty)

Now I received the Mac back and I wanted to run the test, just to see if it's all okay, and it doesn't seem to work. The seller has changed the hard drive with a different version of Mavericks, because something with my Mavericks was weird apparently (I've installed it from a USB drive).

I've tried starting the test by holding the D key, then Alt + D, but nothing happens, I land on the desktop each time.

Thanks a lot.

Not sure if this helps, I use Tech Tool Pro to run the hardware test. The CD software came with the AppleCare. I know you don't have the AppleCare probably you can try downloading a trial version as this software is a bit pricey at $100 http://www.macworld.com/article/204...omplete-set-of-mac-troubleshooting-tools.html

Sometimes I bring the Mac Pro to an Apple Service shop and the technician will do an MRI for the hardware test. Not sure in your area there in Europe if there is a nearby Apple Service Provider.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello,

Thanks a lot.

Take a look at this Apple support doc. The AHT is run differently depending on the year model and OS version.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I guess they just did a clean install Mavericks rather than upgrade from the Original OS, that's why the AHT not exist anymore.

anyway, you can download the AHT from here, put it back to the correct location, and then AHT should work again.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hehe, every time I create a thread I seem to get help from the same users. :)

And yes it's not an upgrade but a fresh install they probably did, the reason I was confused was because I had done a fresh install of Mavericks too and I was still able to use the AHT after that.

I didn't know we can download the AHT. :) Now I remembered just something: I should still have old Panther (I think?) install DVDs somewhere. If I install that system on the Mac Pro, will the hardware test be present again? Or is it gone for good?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If you still have the original Mac Pro installation disk. I think you can simply run AHT from the disk, but no need to install the whole OSX for that.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Ah yes, right. It's not a Mac Pro installation DVD however (as far as I know), I think it was for an old iMac. But that shouldn't change anything?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Then I prefer not to do that. AHT is model specific, even though it can run, you don't know if it runs correctly.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Okay, I see. Can I make an OSX Internet recovery with an old system? The solution with downloading the AHT seems a bit complicated to me, also, is it 100% reliable? The seller was weird and I need to make sure everything is okay for the Mac.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
In the recovery partition, you can install the most up to date OSX. And there is no option for you to install the original OS of a old machine.

Anyway, the "download method" I've tried is 100% reliable so far. So download it, copy it to the correct place, and then good to go. The hardest part is the folder start with "." at the beginning means it's a hidden folder.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I know you're reliable too so if you say it's reliable it will be reliable :D
I'll download it then!

And just out of curiosity, for installing older OSX versions: Wasn't there an option that would allow you to install the OS the Mac was originally delivered with? But I believe that's only when you have the original recovery partition.

Edit: Okay, it worked! Thanks a lot. Bad news for me though, my Mac still displays the error code after the seller returned the computer to me. Oh well, the trouble goes on. :( And that's exactly why I wanted to run the test again. Sigh.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
And just out of curiosity, for installing older OSX versions: Wasn't there an option that would allow you to install the OS the Mac was originally delivered with? But I believe that's only when you have the original recovery partition.

Yes... for Macs on this list or newer, they have "Internet recovery." So for example if the machine came from the factory with Mountain Lion then you updated to Mavericks. You could hold command-option-r to get to Internet recovery and reinstall Mountain Lion.

So command-r boots to the recovery partition on the local drive and reinstalls the current OS version, and command-option-r gets you back to the factory version.

Oh yeah, I think h9826790 is reliable. I see his posts here often and he is always spot on with his advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.