Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I tried to download pics from my Canon Mark 5D III but the EOS utility software is not compatible with the new Yosemite Software. Is anyone else aware of this?:(

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
This doesn't answer your question, but some suggestions:
You could use Image Capture (if you have it), or Adobe Bridge (bundled with any adobe software).

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Canon is aware of it. Unfortunately, they're extremely slow at providing updates...even though Yosemite has been available to developers since June.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Consider a digital asset manager such as Aperture (really too late in its life cycle) or Lightroom. There some other DAMs in the market; however, they do not have an integrated with plugins like Photoshop, Pixelmatr, Perfect Photo Suite, or the Nik Collection.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I'm running Yosemite on my iMac and EOS Utility 3.0.1 is working fine for me. So is DPP 4.0.2. Camera is a 5D Mark III.

Edit: Just installed DPP 4.1 and EOS Utility 3.1, and they work fine with Yosemite too. The major changes on these versions is support of the new Canon 7D Mark II.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I'm running Yosemite on my iMac and EOS Utility 3.0.1 is working fine for me. So is DPP 4.0.2. Camera is a 5D Mark III.

Edit: Just installed DPP 4.1 and EOS Utility 3.1, and they work fine with Yosemite too. The major changes on these versions is support of the new Canon 7D Mark II.

A lot of times all is needed is to download the latest EOS version, and then reinstall it after upgrading the Mac OS.

That said, I use the photo downloader in CS5 and CS6, and even the one in Graphic Converter.

Last edited:

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
FWIW, I contacted Canon regarding the lack of update on their Print Studio Pro plugin for Lightroom. They have no expected ETA for any of their updates to Yosemite.

Mind you - Yosemite has been available to developers since June. Kinda makes you wonder what Canon's excuse is.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
FWIW, I contacted Canon regarding the lack of update on their Print Studio Pro plugin for Lightroom. They have no expected ETA for any of their updates to Yosemite.

Mind you - Yosemite has been available to developers since June. Kinda makes you wonder what Canon's excuse is.

It's also been in Beta since June and the final release was only recently, October 16. Since Apple has been making changes on Yosemite for quite a while, I'm not surprised many app developers, including Canon, waited until the final release was out before starting to updating their software.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Not to play Devil's Advocate, but....lots of other developers were easily able to make any needed updates to there software to make sure it ran correctly under Yosemite.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I totally forgot about Canon's failure to update their applications for Apple OS and I updated to Yosemite when it was released. Needless to say, I was quite irritated when I saw the "application is not compatible with the operating system." I had to wipe the SSD clean and restore from Time Machine. My 1Ds3 is not compatible with DPP4 so I'll either stay behind, start using LR5 which I hate the smaller previews or start thinking about a 1Dx or newer body. Has anyone successfully tethered a 1Ds3 via Yosemite with any software on a Mac? TIA

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Canon EOS users RTM:

Consider a digital asset manager such as Aperture (really too late in its life cycle) or Lightroom. There some other DAMs in the market; however, they do not have an integrated with plugins like Photoshop, Pixelmatr, Perfect Photo Suite, or the Nik Collection.

No. The Canon EOS Utility is a camera-setting, owner ID, and live-tether utility. It is very specific for making changes to Canon cameras and has features that you cannot set from the EOS camera itself. It is not a RAW developer like Adobe's DNG converter, Photoshop RAW, or Lightroom.

I'm assuming also that DPP and the Picture Style Editor apps are also unusable. If you need the utility backgrade to 10.9.x or keep a machine around running 10.6-10.9 so that you can use the utilities when you need to. How many scanner drivers are broken under Yosemite?

----------

This doesn't answer your question, but some suggestions:
You could use Image Capture (if you have it), or Adobe Bridge (bundled with any adobe software).

Bridge is a browser. You mean DNG Converter. But if you're going to use Lightroom, just import the .CR files directly into LR. -You'll save a step and avoid conversion shenanigans.

Lightroom 4.4 is a steal if you can find it and have good backup-disk hygiene.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
This seems to happen every time. Canon does seem to give very few recources to software development and updates. I have an excellent Canon scanner sitting on my desk that I haven't been able to use (except with a very old Mac) since the Mavericks update. Before that I could get it to work with Image Capture but the Canon software has long been incompatible and never updated.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
It looks like Canon has released updated software for Yosemite. They just updated Photo Studio Pro (Lr plugin for their printers).

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Bridge is a browser. You mean DNG Converter. But if you're going to use Lightroom, just import the .CR files directly into LR. -You'll save a step and avoid conversion shenanigans.

I was under the impression dvoros was trying to import his photos from camera!
Bridge has an option to 'Get photos from Camera' ;)

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
It looks like Canon has released updated software for Yosemite. They just updated Photo Studio Pro (Lr plugin for their printers).

Just to be clear, the Photo Studio Pro software is under the Printer products, not under the Camera products, and it does show under Yosemite.

There is no new Yosemite (OSX 10.10) software under the Camera products. However, both DPP versions 3 and 4, and EOS Utility versions 2 and 3 both show updates dated 4 November. You can see them under the Mavericks (OSX 10.9) software, but they work on Yosemite. The new updates add in data relevant to the new 24-105mm and 400mm lenses.

schwadorf

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Istanbul
Just downloaded the one under Mavericks software and it works fine on Yosemite. I was able to upload some new picture styles to my 5DMkIII no problem.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
It looks like Canon has just posted an OS10.10 compatible version of DPP and EOS Utility. I have a 1Ds3 and the previous version of EOS Utility was killed when I installed Yosemite but today, I downloaded v2.14.10 and it tethered normally. Those with newer bodies didn't seem to have an issue but it took three months for Canon to update their software.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Plus all those those months they had access to the beta versions of OS X 10.10.

My thoughts exactly. Apple makes their Beta versions available many months ahead of the Gold Master release and Canon never has an update ready. I would think that I'd know better than to try and stay current but I updated when Yosemite was released and I got bit. I had to reinstall Mountain Lion and restore from Time Machine only because EOS Utility did not function with my 1Ds3. Canon, you are a constant string of disappointments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.