Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
I currently have a Palm Tungsten T2 that when I start syncing it with my iBook, via Bluetooth or Cradle, it makes Finder and Dock unresponsive. I've been wanting to get rid of Palm Desktop for a while and this is another reason to. Is there a way I can sync my Palm w/o Palm Desktop for free?

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
You can use iSync, but you have to keep the Palm Desktop installed. iSync requires a conduit that is installed by it to communicate with the Palm. It will never need to open, but it has to be on the system. Just open up iSync, and go through the process of adding a new device. It's a far far better solution than using Palm Desktop, or shelling out for The Missing Sync.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
while we're on the subject..

I've got a Sony Clie SJ33 (running palm OS 4). Which version of desktop do I need to sync it with my mac? The palm website only mentions palm branded machines.

cheers
Tim

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
sunfast said:
I've got a Sony Clie SJ33 (running palm OS 4). Which version of desktop do I need to sync it with my mac? The palm website only mentions palm branded machines.
cheers
Tim

The last time I looked at this issue was a couple of years ago, but my understanding is that with the Sony PDAs, you need to use a third-party application such as The Missing Sync to sync with your Mac.
I, too, could not find a simple answer on the Palm website or the almighty Google.
The Missing Sync website (http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php) shows support for Palm OS 4 and Mac OS X Tiger or Panther.
Best wishes!

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Unfortunately for Clie owners, yes, you must use a third party application on a Mac. Sony shipped custom software for syncing Clies with Windows machines (since we know Sony almost never supports Macs), as opposed to the Palm Desktop. So, The Missing Sync is your best bet.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
i have an old sonly sl10 that synced fine over USB with palm desktop, didn't need missing sync at all.
I use missing sync now with my Palm TX though because it deals with music and photos better than the palm software.

iSaint

macrumors 603
TLRedhawke said:
Unfortunately for Clie owners, yes, you must use a third party application on a Mac. Sony shipped custom software for syncing Clies with Windows machines (since we know Sony almost never supports Macs), as opposed to the Palm Desktop. So, The Missing Sync is your best bet.

My Clie SJ22 syncs with Entourage. I use HotSync, and it does the job for me.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
TLRedhawke said:
You can use iSync, but you have to keep the Palm Desktop installed. iSync requires a conduit that is installed by it to communicate with the Palm. It will never need to open, but it has to be on the system. Just open up iSync, and go through the process of adding a new device. It's a far far better solution than using Palm Desktop, or shelling out for The Missing Sync.
Unfortunately for some reason my Zire 72 refuses to sync with iSync. Or should I say even with the latest Palm Desktop installed and run on several occasions, it doesn't recognise it as having either been installed and/or run so refuses to allow Palm synching enabling.

Doesn't bother me much though, just use Palm Desktop via bluetooth.

turbodub

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
I have a Palm TX that I used to sync using iSync. I started using Missing Sync because it allows me to sync mkore address fields for my contacts, and the locations and categories are preserved in iCal. Missing Sync is great; it costs $40 though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.