Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I am a sales rep at Verizon so I took advantage of my discount and wanted to try out both. I have an iPad air 2. I love how light weight the Smart Cover is but I love the leather and now the smart case protects the back even though the weight difference is noticeable. What do you all prefer?

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I think you could just keep the cover for travel and keep it naked at home. The iPads seem to be more resilient with regard to nicks and blemishes than iPhones.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I use the case even though mine stays at home. The few days I used naked while waiting for the case I couldn't get used to.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Tried the cover and never really liked it. Go for the case. Had one on my Air and it has lasted brilliantly well for almost a year. Got the same for my new Air 2.
Doesn't fit as well as the Air one for some reason but nice all the same. Superb quality.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Have Apple cases and covers for Mini and iPad. Used covers a time or two first week, never used again, case is perfect for mine.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Keep the case. It's less problematic, Sooner or later you won't like using the Smart Cover because of the way it works and you'll end up buying a case so might as well have one to begin with.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
both.png

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I did the same thing (bought both)... I really liked the thinness of just the cover, but got sick of worrying about being so careful about putting it down on an unprotected back (and didn't want to have to put it face-down), so I ended up keeping the case.

It's not that much heavier.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
For those with the leather case, do you treat it with anything? Leather treatment etc?

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Did they ever make a leather cover? I had a leather case for my mini and liked it. I have leather case for the air 2, but wouldn't mind trying the cover

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
If you are out and about with your iPad, I think the case is a great idea. The aluminum body just scratches too easily. That said, I hope you got a great discount, because $80 for a case is just nuts. And then you still end up worrying about scuffing up the expensive leather case.

I thought I would get the Smart Cover and a compatible back cover from a third party, but I couldn't find a back cover I liked. Then I came across the Fintie case. It's insanely inexpensive at $8-$10. I picked one up on eBay and it's great. It seems to be very similar in function to the Apple case.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
If you are out and about with your iPad, I think the case is a great idea. The aluminum body just scratches too easily. That said, I hope you got a great discount, because $80 for a case is just nuts. And then you still end up worrying about scuffing up the expensive leather case.

I thought I would get the Smart Cover and a compatible back cover from a third party, but I couldn't find a back cover I liked. Then I came across the Fintie case. It's insanely inexpensive at $8-$10. I picked one up on eBay and it's great. It seems to be very similar in function to the Apple case.

I just got the same Fintie case and its excellent. I like it much better them the Smart Case because it does not have the big lip and fits well. I ordered it through Amazon and am happy with it. Its amazing can get 8 of these for the price of the Apple case and it fits much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.