Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Notebookcheck added the m295x to their rankings list. It performed above the 780m gtx in the 2013 iMac, but below the newer 970m gtx from NVIDIA.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M295X.129043.0.html

It would appear the AMD card is a downgrade versus continuing with the x80m gtx series. I was hoping to see them on par with one another. Maybe as more benchmarks and data rolls in the gap will narrow.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
The thing to keep in mind as well is that the AMD cards are possibly, more like probably, leveraged for their OpenCL compute power, where as I don't think Nvidia cards in Macs are.

The D series FirePro GPU's in the Mac Pro are.

Does anyone know if the Radeon AMD cards in iMac and MacBook range are leveraged the way the Mac Pro does with it's AMD cards?

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
The thing to keep in mind as well is that the AMD cards are possibly, more like probably, leveraged for their OpenCL compute power, where as I don't think Nvidia cards in Macs are.

The D series FirePro GPU's in the Mac Pro are.

Does anyone know if the Radeon AMD cards in iMac and MacBook range are leveraged the way the Mac Pro does with it's AMD cards?

There would be no difference in how software uses a D300,D500,D700 or an M259X in terms of OpenCL.

The only real difference is double precision, this is where a Dxxx series card will perform 3x as fast in those kind of workloads.

An M295X gets 50gflops of double precision performace where as a D300 gets around 140gflops.

EDIT: in fact, even my low end GTX660m gets around 40gflops in double precision workloads.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
There would be no difference in how software uses a D300,D500,D700 or an M259X in terms of OpenCL.

The only real difference is double precision, this is where a Dxxx series card will perform 3x as fast in those kind of workloads.

An M295X gets 50gflops of double precision performace where as a D300 gets around 140gflops.

Interesting, but not what I was asking. I was asking are the AMD cards in the iMacs and MacBooks utilized for OpenCL like the D series cards are in the Mac Pro?

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Interesting, but not what I was asking. I was asking are the AMD cards in the iMacs and MacBooks utilized for OpenCL like the D series cards are in the Mac Pro?

Yes and in exactly the same way as I said above.

Final Cut Pro X will use an M290 or an M295X the same was as in a Mac Pro, just faster in a Mac Pro :p

EDIT: even the old AMD cards from 2011 in a Macbook might help in Final Cut X, but not for long ;)

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Yes and in exactly the same way as I said above.

Final Cut Pro X will use an M290 or an M295X the same was as in a Mac Pro, just faster in a Mac Pro :p

EDIT: even the old AMD cards from 2011 in a Macbook might help in Final Cut X, but not for long ;)

How do you know this? Where's your source? And do you know if a Radeon HD 4850 in a 2009 27 iMac would be utilized in the same way as the Mac Pro?

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
How do you know this? Where's your source? And do you know if a Radeon HD 4850 in a 2009 27 iMac would be utilized in the same way as the Mac Pro?

Source: graphic cards specs.. OpenCL is standard and has to be implemented as such, in a standard fashion among all card that wish to support it.

an HD 4850 only supports a really old version of OpenCL (I actually can't find it's version, most likely 1.0 given it's era) and wont be supported most likely. All GPU's, even Intels HD series all use OpenCL in the SAME exact way as even a Mac Pros D700. Meaning the API calls do not differ (as long as the versions are the same all cards since 2011 support 1.2), only the performance of the card differs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.