Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UofL Cards

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Yeah I know another bent iPhone thread. Well I had to share my experience.

I got my iPhone 6 on release day. Since then it has been in a very protective case. Yesterday I see that my iPhone is bent and I couldn't believe it. I like many of you thought that everyone who had a bent iPhone was either a troll or used excessive force. Well I can honestly tell you that I babied this phone from the very beginning. I have had every single iPhone since they have been released and have never had any screens broken or any bending. But my 6 is bent. I went to the apple store today and they told me it was accidental damage and I wasn't eligible for replacement. They told me to call customer service and see what they say. They told me all they can do is have me send in my phone and let them look at it. I am beyond mad. I paid very good money for a phone that bent and I honestly don't know why. Everyone's phone that is bent is bent in the exact same spot. How can Apple say that is just a coincidence?

My question is what should I do? Send it in and be without a phone for a week or two or just live with my bent phone? Do you think Apple will ever recognize this is a problem and actually start replacing phones like mine?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 750
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    967.3 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
A lot of people are going to accuse you of having done something to bend it so why bother creating this thread?

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
You're a lot calmer than I would be. If I bent my 6+ mysteriously and the manager at an Apple store didn't give me a warranty exchange, pray for his or her life.

----------

My question is what should I do? Send it in and be without a phone for a week or two or just live with my bent phone? Do you think Apple will ever recognize this is a problem and actually start replacing phones like mine?

Don't settle. Keep trying to get an exchange until they tire of seeing you.

tj22

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
It
just
keeps
happening

Sounds like you're one of the nine of the 20,000 now.

UofL Cards

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
If I were a betting man I would say that this is going to keep happening and Apple will need to do something about it. People keep these phones for 2 years and longer. I have had mine since Sep 19th and it is already bent. I don't know how Apple could say having a phone in your pocket is beyond normal usage.

As a law student with finals coming up I don't have the time to keep going up to the Apple store and begging them for a replacement. They will just tell me the same thing over and over. I would appreciate it if anyone who got their bent one replaced shared some tips on how to convince them.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Bummer. I would keep at it, like some have said. Be polite, be honest. I suppose shipping it out wouldn't hurt if you have a phone to use in the interim.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
You're a lot calmer than I would be. If I bent my 6+ mysteriously and the manager at an Apple store didn't give me a warranty exchange, pray for his or her life.

----------

Don't settle. Keep trying to get an exchange until they tire of seeing you.

Threatening someone's life over a phone. :eek:

UofL Cards

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
How bad is the bend? Do you notice it if the phone is in the case?

It is bent enough that the manager at the apple store said "woah that is really bent."

I can notice it even in the case but of course it is more noticeable naked

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Yeah I know another bent iPhone thread. Well I had to share my experience.

I got my iPhone 6 on release day. Since then it has been in a very protective case. Yesterday I see that my iPhone is bent and I couldn't believe it. I like many of you thought that everyone who had a bent iPhone was either a troll or used excessive force. Well I can honestly tell you that I babied this phone from the very beginning. I have had every single iPhone since they have been released and have never had any screens broken or any bending. But my 6 is bent. I went to the apple store today and they told me it was accidental damage and I wasn't eligible for replacement. They told me to call customer service and see what they say. They told me all they can do is have me send in my phone and let them look at it. I am beyond mad. I paid very good money for a phone that bent and I honestly don't know why. Everyone's phone that is bent is bent in the exact same spot. How can Apple say that is just a coincidence?

There's blogs of a secret fix on Apple's part. Read through the thread. It's should be on the 1st. page. I'd return it if you still can and wait another month or two, then repurchase.

UofL Cards

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
There's blogs of a secret fix on Apple's part. Read through the thread. It's should be on the 1st. page. I'd return it if you still can and wait another month or two, then repurchase.

I wish I could return it but it is way past the 14 day return period. I think I am just going to send it in and be without a phone for a week. If there truly is a huge problem with it bending and Apple knows about it but doesn't want to make an announcement then I think they will just send me a replacement one at no charge so I go away.

sketdansuu

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
I'm not doubting you or anything,, but just like iphone case threads, please post pics. Just reading a wall of text is kind of useless with these kind of things.

lichen86

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I would persist and talk to a manager. However, I believe the chances are pretty high that we will see a big response from Apple soon on all the bent phones. If the phone is still usable and they flat refuse to do anything just give it some more time. I think all the rumors about the "silent fix" that are going around the web are bogus though.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I wish I could return it but it is way past the 14 day return period. I think I am just going to send it in and be without a phone for a week. If there truly is a huge problem with it bending and Apple knows about it but doesn't want to make an announcement then I think they will just send me a replacement one at no charge so I go away.

The Apple Store wasn't willing to provide a replacement on-site?

My guess sis that IF Apple decides there's an issue and decides to give everyone free replacements, you'll end up getting reimbursed for whatever you end up paying out of pocket for this repair. IF they decide that. it's definitely happened before, particularly with Macs that had faulty GPUs or bad SSDs, and the free case program for the iPhone 4.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
A lot of people are going to accuse you of having done something to bend it so why bother creating this thread?

Rightly so.
What is stopping me from opening one of these threads to and say I bended my iPhone? Specially if my post does not contain few pics showing the bend (and when I say few pics I don't mean the ones you get from Google search)

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rightly so.
What is stopping me from opening one of these threads to and say I bended my iPhone? Specially if my post does not contain few pics showing the bend (and when I say few pics I don't mean the ones you get from Google search)

why? how many of those "bent" phone pictures do you need to see?

Most people use their phone as their only camera nowaday,

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
why? how many of those "bent" phone pictures do you need to see?

Because there are people out there (and am not saying OP is one of them) who open this kind of thread for the pleasure of trolling.

Most people use their phone as their only camera nowaday,

If you wanted to share your phone bending experience and took your time to open a thread, then finding a way of taking a pic of your bended phone does not seem like the hardest thing on the world. Just saying.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
If I were a betting man I would say that this is going to keep happening and Apple will need to do something about it. People keep these phones for 2 years and longer. I have had mine since Sep 19th and it is already bent. I don't know how Apple could say having a phone in your pocket is beyond normal usage.

As a law student with finals coming up I don't have the time to keep going up to the Apple store and begging them for a replacement. They will just tell me the same thing over and over. I would appreciate it if anyone who got their bent one replaced shared some tips on how to convince them.

I would persist until you get it replaced and then immediately place it for sale without using it. Get out while you can.

I've used that tactic to bail out of the endless repair cycles on several iMac systems. Stupid me kept trying new generations until it became apparent that I would be condemned to endless repair cycles with the new models as well. In each case, after the 4th or 5th repair of each machine, I immediately sold them after their last repair before anything else could die.

I'd sell your iPhone 6 and get another stronger phone immediately after you get s successful repair.

Inspector14

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Anchorage, AK
my original 6+ was in a nice wood backed rigid case, had it for 2 weeks and it got bent somehow. i couldnt beleive it either.

i went to the apple store here in town, showed it to the tech, he talked with his manager, and i got a new 6+ in 1 day. wasn't really hard to do, just talked to the guy for 10 minutes. no apple care, no nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.