Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsingham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
I'm not too impressed by the speakers to be honest. Every song bought from iTunes seems to crackle despite even equaliser being off. I moved from a 2011 iMac to a macbook retina 13" and I was hoping the sound of the new improved 2012 onwards mac would be adequate but it crackles more than even that of a macbook.

Could something be wrong with my iMac or do u guys experience crackling during music playback on vocal and bass?

jbuk1

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2014
I'm not too impressed by the speakers to be honest. Every song bought from iTunes seems to crackle despite even equaliser being off. I moved from a 2011 iMac to a macbook retina 13" and I was hoping the sound of the new improved 2012 onwards mac would be adequate but it crackles more than even that of a macbook.

Could something be wrong with my iMac or do u guys experience crackling during music playback on vocal and bass?

Can you do a recording because I'm not sure what you mean by crackling?

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
They certainly shouldn't crackle. I am about to order some new really nice speakers for my new iMac, but I am surprised how good the standard ones are. Not hi-fi by any means, but perfectly acceptable for in-built speakers.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

No, the speakers shouldn't been distorting/crackling on playback. I would exchange it.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
The speakers are a definite upgrade from the 2009-2011 era. That said, deep bass is average, maybe $100-150 level of desktop speakers, quite pleasing in terms of distortion/imaging/highs, but not at all flat: pronounced upper bass emphasis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.