Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
So I bought a new generation time capsule (AC output model) and I have it connected to my u-verse modem and sending out its own signal. (turned the uverse's wireless off so that there isn't two conflicting connections in the air)

Anywho. It did increase me speed in the other room where I used to get about 10mbps now I get 24, which is good but not great since my speed is 60 and the room isn't that far, but that's irrelevant.

I can connect just fine and always have full bars and never seem to get kicked off the connection, but I do have two issues..

1.) ANY time I go to stream a YouTube video it always stops about 5 seconds in and just stops loading all together.. Seems to stream any other video just fine, but not YouTube videos.

This problem happens on all devices that connect to this signal, be it a Mac, PC, or even an iPhone.

2.) when hosting a game on steam, the people joined to my game will randomly lose connection to me.. Even if they're in my house and connected to the same signal.

I figured this was all to do with my internet itself because everything else is all fine and I seemingly never lose connection to my wireless.

Thing is, now I turned on my u-verse modem's wireless and connected to that and I'm loading YouTube videos just fine??

I have AT&T coming out tomorrow to check the connection, but I'm now starting to wonder if it's my time capsule. It's just a very odd problem to have.. Specific only to YouTube? I don't get it.

Anyone have any input on this? What it may be and or how to potentially fix the problem? It definitely isn't my laptop or web browser or anything like that because the problem happens on all devices and on all browsers.. So it had to either be my modem connection directly or my time capsule.

Thanks! :)

fotomarc

macrumors regular
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Time Capsule issues. ?

What network settings are you using for the time capsule? Is it on "create a network"? Do you have it running on 5ghz, or 2.4ghz? Do you have any other express units connected, extending the network?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Since U-Verse and FIOS equipment generally isn't allowed to be set to Bridge Mode, you should add the Extreme to the DMZ of the U-Verse router. It is possible that the U-Verse router has terrible WAN to LAN performance and running it through its DHCP and NAT service isn't helping.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
What network settings are you using for the time capsule? Is it on "create a network"? Do you have it running on 5ghz, or 2.4ghz? Do you have any other express units connected, extending the network?

Yes it's on create a network.
It's running both 2.4 and 5ghz
I have an AirPort Extreme in my living eoom extending the network (which after running a speed test, does seem to help the connection quite a bit.)

----------

Since U-Verse and FIOS equipment generally isn't allowed to be set to Bridge Mode, you should add the Extreme to the DMZ of the U-Verse router. It is possible that the U-Verse router has terrible WAN to LAN performance and running it through its DHCP and NAT service isn't helping.

What

I mean. I don't completely understand what this means
I'm not in bridge mode; I have the modem connected to the time capsule via ethernet and the modem's wireless is turned off

What should I do here?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have an AirPort Extreme in my living eoom extending the network (which after running a speed test, does seem to help the connection quite a bit.)

----------

What

I mean. I don't completely understand what this means
I'm not in bridge mode; I have the modem connected to the time capsule via ethernet and the modem's wireless is turned off

What should I do here?

Is your AirPort right now in "Bridge Mode" or DHCP & NAT Mode in the Network tab of AirPort Utility?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Is your AirPort right now in "Bridge Mode" or DHCP & NAT Mode in the Network tab of AirPort Utility?

You mean the airport that is extending my time capsule? Or the time capsule that is connected to my modem directly?

The airport that's extending the network is in bridge mode I am 99% sure. I can recheck when I get home, but I am certain it is in bridge mode to extend my time capsule's network.

fotomarc

macrumors regular
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia

I have exactly the same setup and sometimes it will lag when loading on AppleTV.

When you select extend a network on the express unit it can increase the strength.

The disadvantage is that this will reduce your wireless bandwidth (by 50% in the worst case). While this will probably have no real effect on your surfing speed, the speed of copying files from one computer to another will be drastically reduced.

Try choosing join a network on the Express unit. I'm having the same issue!

http://manski.net/2013/05/extending-wi-fi-networks-with-airport-express/

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You mean the airport that is extending my time capsule? Or the time capsule that is connected to my modem directly?

The airport that's extending the network is in bridge mode I am 99% sure. I can recheck when I get home, but I am certain it is in bridge mode to extend my time capsule's network.

No. Sorry, I was unclear. The AirPort Time Capsule is in which mode? I have noticed issues with a bridge behind a bridge when it comes to AirPorts. Ideally, you would have the U-Verse modem in bridge mode, the Time Capsule set to DHCP & NAT which makes it function as the router of the network, and the Express hardwired via Ethernet to the Time Capsule.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
No. Sorry, I was unclear. The AirPort Time Capsule is in which mode? I have noticed issues with a bridge behind a bridge when it comes to AirPorts. Ideally, you would have the U-Verse modem in bridge mode, the Time Capsule set to DHCP & NAT which makes it function as the router of the network, and the Express hardwired via Ethernet to the Time Capsule.

Just got home and my Time Capsule (connected directly to the modem) Is in "Off (Bridge Mode)"

I turn it to "DHCP and NAT" or even "DHCP" and the thing goes orange and I can't connect to it at all.

Went into my router settings for the modem and I don't see anywhere to place that into bridge mode or anything of that sort.. I tried doing an IP Passthrough to the Time Capsule but it didn't seem to do anything.. I'm lost here.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just got home and my Time Capsule (connected directly to the modem) Is in "Off (Bridge Mode)"

I turn it to "DHCP and NAT" or even "DHCP" and the thing goes orange and I can't connect to it at all.

Went into my router settings for the modem and I don't see anywhere to place that into bridge mode or anything of that sort.. I tried doing an IP Passthrough to the Time Capsule but it didn't seem to do anything.. I'm lost here.

When switched to DHCP & NAT mode under the network tab, you should still be able to connect however it may flash orange due to a double NAT error. If you add it to the DMZ of the U-Verse router, then that error may still appear but can be safely ignored. Under the Internet tab, you need to leave it set to DHCP or else you will need to manually configure the static connection information.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The solution to this problem was to switch the main AirPort Time Capsule into DHCP & NAT mode on the 10.0.1.x range. Then, on the AT&T U-Verse router, we configured IP passthrough to work only with the main Time Capsule. This then essentially makes the AT&T U-Verse modem a bridge and gives the global IP to the Time Capsule. This worked well and SPNarwhal now gets full speed on all clients.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.