Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's rumored "iPad Pro" has reportedly been in the works for some time, although the most recent rumors have indicated the company has pushed back its plans for the device as it seeks to give its manufacturing partners time to catch up to iPhone 6 Plus demand. Development work on the project is likely still continuing and a new report from Mac Otakara claims to share some new details on the device.

According to the report, the larger iPad will include a 12.2-inch display, somewhat smaller than the 12.9-inch measurement most commonly rumored for the device. Sources also indicate the device will contain speakers and microphones on both the top and bottom edges, opening the door to an improved stereo audio experience.
Product design concept seems to be based on iPad Air 2, pair of speakers and microphones will be added on top-side not only bottom's pair. iPad Pro might be capable for supporting stereo audio.
As for thickness, the report claims the iPad Pro will not match the 6.1 mm measurement of the new iPad Air 2 but will still be quite thin, coming in around the same 7 mm mark as the iPhone 6 (6.9 mm) and iPhone 6 Plus (7.1 mm).

mac_otakara_ipad_pro_sketch.jpg
The report also includes a rough illustration, and while the sourcing of the illustration is unclear, it appears to show a row of holes presumably representing a speaker along the top edge of the device next to the power button.

Mac Otakara has a relatively strong (but by no means perfect) track record with Apple product rumors, most recently accurately predicting the arrival of the iPad mini 3 last month alongside a relatively specific claim of new Smart Cover and Smart Case color options that did turn out to be true. Some of the site's previous major claims that were accurate included details on redesigns for the iPod touch and iPod nano back in 2012.

Article Link: 'iPad Pro' Said to Feature 12.2-Inch Display, 7-mm Thickness, Stereo Speakers at Top and Bottom

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Just seems..... odd. I don't know a ton of people begging for a 13" tablet. It will be fairly heavy, and I just can't imagine business or creatives picking this thing up unless it adds additional functionality on the OS level (power user features).

BobbyLight

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Denver
I'm excited to see where they go with this. I couldn't imagine carrying one around compared to an iPad air, but could be cool

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Just seems..... odd. I don't know a ton of people begging for a 13" tablet. It will be fairly heavy, and I just can't imagine business or creatives picking this thing up unless it adds additional functionality on the OS level (power user features).

A bigger iPhone added new features based on the size, pretty safe to say a bigger iPad would do the same. I can tell you this, even the current sized iPad is not really big enough for a music stand to read music, I'd be all over this one.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I can see some uses for the larger screen, but the software on the productivity side still isn't where it needs to be. Still easier and more powerful in most cases to use a MacBook.

The screen space needs to be more geared for multitasking, file management and productivity. One of the major reasons the iPad growth has stagnated and the Mac is resurging.

The internals of the iPad Air 2 are amazing..,but really how many people are ever going to do things on an iPad that really take advantage of it.

fluchtpunkt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013

Features like a proper digitizer with support for pressure sensitive styluses.

Maybe the Pixelmator guys will be back on stage.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
When the iPad first came out, I thought that having a larger size would be perfect as a replacement for carrying a laptop around. But now after living with iPads for the past couple of years, I feel different about it.

Going bigger simply forces the use of a device into what effectively is a laptop, much like Microsoft's Surface. Sure, you can hold a larger screened device, but to do any work on it, or even interact in a basic way, you really would need to set it down. Holding a device one-handed while interacting on-screen, is not an efficient way to do anything, other than maybe browsing online or reading emails.

Using a keyboard in the same plane as your arms/hands in front of you (while supported by a desk or some other flat surface) is still the best (read as easiest physically on your body) way to interact with a device. If Apple can create a MacBook Air with a thinner form factor that is essentially an iPad screen with a keyboard and trackpad (maybe supporting an additional battery for longer use), I would consider that an ideal work travel computer. I don't need a bigger touch screen, which will show that much more fingerprints.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
With all the bench marks of the A8X coming in close to MBAs and MBPs of a few years ago, I am convinced Apple is working towards building an ARM-based Mac portable.

Will it just be an iPad or will it run OSX and emulate intel processors fast enough to make old Mac software run on it? I know they could do this, but the real what ion is would Apple do this?

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Bring it on! My 1 great wish is for it to have quality (high end Wacom level) stylus. It would open up endless new uses and new kinds of apps for creative people.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So why didn't apple release this last month? Seems like their iPad sales are falling flat and this may be the shot in the arm that is needed

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
This is dumb beyond dumb ....
Tabs are fading out: not because they're unpopular, but because iPads are
so damn well-made, there's no compelling reason to buy a brand new one every year.

I bought an iPad 2 in 2011 and the ONLY reason I bought another new iPad Air
was 'cause the frackin' thing slipped outta my hands [blasted slippery aloomineeum ....],
plummeted to the sidewalk and spiderwebbed the entire screen. Not a happy moment.

So, again, other than "keeping up with the Jones"/early adopting,
the need for a brand spanking new iPad every year is nil at best.
And certainly not the need for a 12-inch plus new one, at that!

Sorry, but put this "iPad Pro" nonsense firmly in the FAIL column.

Last edited:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
iPad Plus NOT iPad "pro"

This will simply be a larger screen iPad, more like iPhone 6 plus is to the iPhone 6...it will be something that would benefit medical, airline pilots, etc., it will be to push into enterprise market...NOT professional content creators like the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro computers.

This could also finally replace magazines.

Also, there is no iMac "Pro"

I don't know where this iPad "Pro" name idea came from, but it makes no sense, unless you think microsoft's surface is serious competition (it is not).

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
This is dumb beyond dumb ....
Tabs are fading out: not because they're unpopular, but because iPads are
so damn well-made, there's no compelling reason to buy a brand new one every year.
And certainly not a 12-inch plus one, at that.
Sorry, but put this "iPad Pro" nonsense firmly in the FAIL column.

I'd buy this before the Watch...

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
That "rough illustration" looks like somebody traced some photo of an iPad Air in Illustrator. I have my doubts with this rumor.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Features like a proper digitizer with support for pressure sensitive styluses.

Maybe the Pixelmator guys will be back on stage.

This. Apple has been very disdainful about styluses (they don't even sell them at Apple Stores!) and Steve Jobs will probably be turning in his grave but if they want to make serious inroads in education proper stylus support is a must. It would make this giant ipad an instant hit with college students which is a reasonably large target audience.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I wonder if when Apple releases the iPad Pro, they’ll rename the Air to the iPad Amateur?

are any of the existing macs called Amateur, despite there being Pros? no.

next.

----------

So why didn't apple release this last month? Seems like their iPad sales are falling flat and this may be the shot in the arm that is needed

they aren't falling flat -- they're still earning billions a quarter. billions with a b.

people just dont replace tablets every year, nor should they. just like a macbook i keep mine around for many years. in fact my dad is using an iPad 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.