Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Handle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
I used to have an iMac, I purchased a WD My Passport Ultra 500 GB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive to use with Time Machine to backup the iMac. It worked well, I was happy.

Since then I purchased a MacBook Air. Since I move it around, I no longer have the external drive connected to it at all times. I only connect it once every 2 or 3 days.

Is there an easy and inexpensive way to connect my external drive to the network so that Time Machine can make backs at any time without needing to plug the USB drive into the laptop?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Does your network include a Airport Extreme? If so you can connect the USB drive there, but local and network TM backups use different fill formats I think, so you would need to chose one or the other method.

Handle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Nope, no Airport extreme. I have a new Verizon Actiontech router, which has a USB port, but from what I read it's turned off. Then I have my MacBook Air, Brother printer, Roku, iPad, and iPhone connected to the network wirelessly.

Since I just bought this external hard drive, I was hoping there was a way to use it in a NAS setup.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Only airports, TimeCapsules and Macs running the server app are approved for Time Machine backups. The least expensive way to use your drive as a networked TM backup destination is to add a used AP extreme to the network.

Otherwise continue plugging the drive into the MBA for BU once in awhile.

Handle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Oh wow, I had no idea, I figured you could use any form of storage for a Time Machine backup, thanks for letting me know.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there an easy and inexpensive way to connect my external drive to the network so that Time Machine can make backs at any time without needing to plug the USB drive into the laptop?

Yes there is, just install the OS X Server addon from the App Store for $19.99 on the iMac and leave the drive attached to the iMac all the time. That will give you networked access to that drive as a Time Machine backup destination from the MacBook.

https://www.apple.com/osx/server/features/#time-machine

Handle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks Weaselboy, but the iMac has been sold :(

I guess I'll just do like I've been doing and plug the external drive in every couple of days.

Handle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
No biggie. You actually helped me install a clean copy of OS X in order to sell it, thanks!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Oh wow, I had no idea, I figured you could use any form of storage for a Time Machine backup, thanks for letting me know.

There are quite a few techs here that use third party NAS networked drives for TM destinations, but its not for the feint of heart. Backing up to a local drive is always more reliable than a networked TM drive, let alone a third party networked drive. For third party network drives I alway recommend using CCC or the like for backup instead of time machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.