Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Not sure if this is an iOS 8 or iPad air 2 thing but auto brightness actually works! As in, when it gets dim in the room the screen goes dim. Before it always got brighter but never dimmed on its own.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
You wanna know the most amazing part about that? The iPod Touch 5th generation didn't have auto brightness because it was "too thin", but the iPad Air 2 is the same thickness!

dinepada

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Perú
You wanna know the most amazing part about that? The iPod Touch 5th generation didn't have auto brightness because it was "too thin", but the iPad Air 2 is the same thickness!

agree, apple make the ipod 5th gen very annoying for that reason

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
This reminds me of the first ipod nano that had a camera, it could only take video, not pictures, because it too was too thin. I think Apple just cares more about their ipads than there ipods, that and technology moves on and is made thinner.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
The iPod is dead, expect it to only be refreshed if they can make it cheaper, otherwise expect it to disappear in a year or two.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
It was an intentional choice that the brightness can only increase rather than decrease with auto-brightness.

It's very frustrating to accidentally cover or have a shadow cast on the light sensor and have the screen dim while you are using it.

Are you sure that it's not just dimming when idle? If the display dims or sleeps, it is allowed to "wake" at a lower brightness.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

i dont remember apple ever stating that they had to remove it because its too thin. sounds more like an excuse from the fanbase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.