Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hey all,
I got my iPad Air 2 yesterday and it's awesome. I'm loving it.

I just signed up for the 5GB for 5 Month promotion on my iPad, however, in the Cellular Data screen, my Data Plan says "200MB/30 Day Free Data for Life" and not the promotion I paid for.

Does it take time for this to update? Or will I need to contact T-Mobile regarding this?

They took the $10 dollars out of my account already, LOL :)

Thanks all.

Mel

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I received email about both subscriptions. You probably did too.

Later on, received email that the 200 had run out whereupon the 5 gb kicked in. Confusing but it worked.

Got 2 different speed results, 10.67 down first day, 20 down next day. Both totally adequate.

Lockon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
The free 200MB plan is used first. Then, it swaps to the promotional plan. It's a shame they don't state this.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I received email about both subscriptions. You probably did too.

Later on, received email that the 200 had run out whereupon the 5 gb kicked in. Confusing but it worked.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Actually it's kind of nice. They force you to use the free data first before using your paid subscription.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The free 200MB plan is used first. Then, it swaps to the promotional plan. It's a shame they don't state this.
Interesting. In fact, they state exactly the opposite in the fineprint on the "Choose your Plan" page. Quote: "Usage applied first to passes, next to free data, then Mobile Internet allotment".

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008

I can also confirm this.

Also if anyone is wondering: With this 5gb for 5 month plan for $10, the music freedom works. So you can stream music with select apps and it doesn't count against your data. I've streamed music for about 5-6 hours this week and I still have 4.94gb left!

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Interesting. In fact, they state exactly the opposite in the fineprint on the "Choose your Plan" page. Quote: "Usage applied first to passes, next to free data, then Mobile Internet allotment".

Actually, this is the correct order. The passes are the pay per use passes. You can buy by the day or week if you use up your free 200mb. But since you don't have a data pass, it uses the free data and then the internet allotment is the additional 5GB.

----------

I can also confirm this.

Also if anyone is wondering: With this 5gb for 5 month plan for $10, the music freedom works. So you can stream music with select apps and it doesn't count against your data. I've streamed music for about 5-6 hours this week and I still have 4.94gb left!

This is correct!! the selected music apps don't count against your data. It is fantastic. That's not just for this promo, it's for all of their data plans.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Actually, this is the correct order. The passes are the pay per use passes. You can buy by the day or week if you use up your free 200mb. But since you don't have a data pass, it uses the free data and then the internet allotment is the additional 5GB.
No. The 5GB/5 months offer is a 150-day pass (and is found in the data pass section accordingly). Internet allotment refers to monthly plans.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
This is correct!! the selected music apps don't count against your data. It is fantastic. That's not just for this promo, it's for all of their data plans.

I'm a t-mobile subscriber for life on my iPad as long as they keep this up!

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Neither. It's $10 for 5GB that are valid for at most 5 months.
Apparently it only works with Apple SIMs, which are not supported on the older iPads.

Oh I see! Well I'm getting $10 charge for 250mb I think, but with their promotion I get that $10 credit back. So pretty much free data every month. However, I haven't stream any musics from the 250mb free data. I wonder if it is gonna be a free streaming!?

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Oh I see! Well I'm getting $10 charge for 250mb I think, but with their promotion I get that $10 credit back. So pretty much free data every month. However, I haven't stream any musics from the 250mb free data. I wonder if it is gonna be a free streaming!?

No free music streaming. Only works for PAID subscriptions.

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
I paid $10 / month for 3GB LTE with T Mobile for life . I got this promotion b/c the store in my town mess up with my 1st bill and my order ( iphone , last year ) . So the manager gave me that .

Now got the iPad Air 2 64Gb from bestbuy , take out Apple Sim and put my Tmobile sim for 3Gb in and done .

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
They wanted my SSN and password. I can't believe how clueless these reps are on Twitter.

Responded to them
"Eh, no offense but I didn't have to provide my SSN when setting up the pre-paid, and I don't give out my password.I'll wait to see what happens"

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
I called them the other day and they confirmed that the free data is used before the 5gb every month. Also, they told me the 5gb thing is a one-off thing so you can't renew it again.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I called them the other day and they confirmed that the free data is used before the 5gb every month. Also, they told me the 5gb thing is a one-off thing so you can't renew it again.

Thank you. I'm not sure why the Twitter folks are so dense :)

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
I recently purchased two iPad air 2’s with LTE and I took out both Apple sims without activating any of them.

I then used two off the shelf T-Mobile blank starter sims nano sized and placed them in my LTE air 2.

Both allow me to have free 200MB a month for life. The $10 for 5 months or 5GB whichever is used up first only works one time. That's ONE TIME. you cannot sign up for this deal again after you activate it.

I have not tried streaming music so can't tell if it eats at data plan. But T-Mobile day pass is reasonable. I don't like recurring charges.

1079zs8.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.