Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Since the plus is my first Mobile payment experience I never really had the need to look for NFC symbols at card readers until recent. I'm finding I have to go out of my way to use :apple:pay.

Not a big deal but today I had some shopping to do and really wanted to count on using my phone all day. Only found 2 places Macy's and Pet Co that excepted a mobile payment. Obviously not CVS,also stopped by Best Buy to buy an iPhone mount no apple pay either. Went to pet smart first which is much closer but they do not have NFC. Went by Target no :apple: pay so I just paid cash there.

Tried to find some cheap work pants at old navy.. All the workers were using iPads in the store but no NFC upfront. Same for most of the stores in the Mall.

Not really a rant more of an observation not much love for NFC or Apple Pay.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Since the plus is my first Mobile payment experience I never really had the need to look for NFC symbols at card readers until recent. I'm finding I have to go out of my way to use :apple:pay.

Not a big deal but today I had some shopping to do and really wanted to count on using my phone all day. Only found 2 places Macy's and Pet Co that excepted a mobile payment. Obviously not CVS,also stopped by Best Buy to buy an iPhone mount no apple pay either. Went to pet smart first which is much closer but they do not have NFC. Went by Target no :apple: pay so I just paid cash there.

Tried to find some cheap work pants at old navy.. All the workers were using iPads in the store but no NFC upfront. Same for most of the stores in the Mall.

Not really a rant more of an observation not much love for NFC or Apple Pay.
if it has nfc then it will work. what do you mean or apple pay?

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
if it has nfc then it will work. what do you mean or apple pay?

I understand, my point is not many places either A do not have NFC or B have NFC but chose to disable it in preparation for CurrentC.

Either way couldn't use Apple Pay.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Yeah NFC never took off in the US, But Apple Pay might become popular enough to push the amount of stores using it higher.

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Its fun and all to pay with your phone but its still early. Only been out for a few weeks. Interesting to see how this all shakes out, though.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The petsmart where I just picked up my dog food a few hours ago had NFC. I haven't used Apple pay yet. I personally have decided to wait a couple weeks/months just to make sure there aren't any huge issues with it.

Interestingly enough I was just notified by my bank yesterday that my debit card was cancelled and a new one sent out. Had to get a temp in the meantime. Hadn't had an issue for well over five years. Go figure.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
NFC payment is not going to take over anything while we still have plastic cards.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Also, only a few banks have supported :apple:Pay. The second wave of banks and credit unions supporting :apple:Pay is on Nov 7 with more before the end of year into 2015. Hopefully with more banks supporting it, the demand will increase.

Download the Mastercard Nearby app, and tap "Contactless". It should show you a bunch of places that use NFC (ignore the CVS and Riteaid mentions).

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
NFC payment is not going to take over anything while we still have plastic cards.

it is unless the retailer wants to take over the responsibility of fraud. they will change by late next year.

Last edited:

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
nothing related, but i'm annoyed how the thread title is phrased.

ok how would you have worded it? It gets the point across no?

"Finding not many retailers utilizing Apple Pay" ?

Guess you're one of those guys that goes around correcting everything lol

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
ok how would you have worded it? It gets the point across no?

"Finding not many retailers utilizing Apple Pay" ?

Guess you're one of those guys that goes around correcting everything lol

found that not many retailers utilize  Pay.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Just downloaded the nearby app..found a couple more locations excepting NFC.

Thanks!

----------

found that not many retailers utilize  Pay.

Actually found would be the better word instead of finding. Probably would have read better. I posted literally when I was out and about so technically I was finding at the time not many apple pay locations lol

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
ik. spur of the moment.

i was just annoyed cause i just kept seeing it on the first page.

haha. i didn't really care n i didn't really correct anything earlier. haha.

[ps. no hard feelings]

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
i just want to clear the air.

i didn't say in my first post (nor did i imply) that it was incorrect. iapplelove asked how i wld have worded it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Its fun and all to pay with your phone but its still early. Only been out for a few weeks. Interesting to see how this all shakes out, though.

Agreed. I think with Apple Pay the use of nfc payments will expand quite a bit here in the US.

jim.hickman.777

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
We use paper credit cards a few have imprinters you can use mostly use counter checks or store credit on a book very backwards here

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Used it three times yesterday (Panera, Whole Foods, Walgreens). It's unrealistic to think that everyplace will have it immediately as it's a new system and CurrentC is trying (unsuccessfully) to lock it out.

But as someone who had their cc# stolen by a shop before, Apple Pay is great, and I will use it when ever possible. I think this will be like iTunes, where initially some record labels fought it, but eventually all had to give in, because it had so much adoption/momentum. Just be patient. I'm happy to be able to use it at all.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Used it three times yesterday (Panera, Whole Foods, Walgreens). It's unrealistic to think that everyplace will have it immediately as it's a new system and CurrentC is trying (unsuccessfully) to lock it out.

But as someone who had their cc# stolen by a shop before, Apple Pay is great, and I will use it when ever possible. I think this will be like iTunes, where initially some record labels fought it, but eventually all had to give in, because it had so much adoption/momentum. Just be patient. I'm happy to be able to use it at all.
ApplePay will become more adopted especially as we move into the holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised to see the consortium of CurrentC fall apart once one of the members realizes they're losing sales and jumps ship

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.