Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Anyone else having an issue with the Air 2 freezing up during normal use? It happened to me yesterday (Was on Twitter) and again today (Was on Facebook). Only way to get it working again is to hard reboot with the lock+home button. Seems like this might turn into a one time everyday thing...

Last edited:

Klonopin

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
I haven't had any freezing but something weird happened today, after I swiped up to close the Directv NFL Sunday Ticket app it went to the apple boot logo for about 5 seconds or so then went back to the home screen...never seen that before :confused:

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I haven't had any freezing but something weird happened today, after I swiped up to close the Directv NFL Sunday Ticket app it went to the apple boot logo for about 5 seconds or so then went back to the home screen...never seen that before :confused:

Hmm that's odd. I wonder if these issues are poorly programmed apps or iOS 8.1

jbs-horn

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
I have had a few of the brief appearances of the apple boot logo and one hard freeze that required a cold boot. I can't recall what I was doing when it froze.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
My very first iPad air 2 wifi only model exhibited the same lockups. One minute I'm using the settings app the next it locks up or sometimes it will re spring the springboard. I looked at the diagnostic and found a panic log. I don't know why it did that but it happened to me twice. But the freezing in apps is random and not frequent but does happen. This was one week with the wifi model.

I traded in for an LTE model and I have not had one single freeze or lockup. It has been a week since and it's been trouble free! I don't know if it was that particular unit but this LTE air 2 doesn't have any issues. Checked the logs and not anything abnormal.

Love love love this air 2!!

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Anyone else having an issue with the Air 2 freezing up during normal use? It happened to me yesterday (Was on Twitter) and again today (Was on Facebook). Only way to get it working again is to hard reboot with the lock+home button. Seems like this might turn into a one time everyday thing...

64GB wifi; had to do the same twice so far since unboxing on the 24th; hung in email app only. I just wondered if this is an iO8 issue; albeit i did'nt get the issue on ipad 3 iOS 8.1 and i set the Air 2 up from backup.:confused:

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
My very first iPad air 2 wifi only model exhibited the same lockups. One minute I'm using the settings app the next it locks up or sometimes it will re spring the springboard. I looked at the diagnostic and found a panic log. I don't know why it did that but it happened to me twice. But the freezing in apps is random and not frequent but does happen. This was one week with the wifi model.

I traded in for an LTE model and I have not had one single freeze or lockup. It has been a week since and it's been trouble free! I don't know if it was that particular unit but this LTE air 2 doesn't have any issues. Checked the logs and not anything abnormal.

Love love love this air 2!!

I checked the logs and see several crash reports (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Mobile Safari, etc). I don't think doing a factory reset will help since it's likely the apps and not the OS but who knows.

Anemovatis

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Greece
Same problem here with an iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi. Two random freezes so far that needed hard restart. Let's hope it is a software issue.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Dang, more and more reports of this same issue. Everyone has the crash data automatically being sent to Apple right? That way they should know what's going on and fix it.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Dang, more and more reports of this same issue. Everyone has the crash data automatically being sent to Apple right? That way they should know what's going on and fix it.

I never opted to send diagnostics & usage to Apple , do the reports also send sensitive data? I see the significance but is it mandatory?

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I never opted to send diagnostics & usage to Apple , do the reports also send sensitive data? I see the significance but is it mandatory?

No sensitive data is collected or sent. Here is what's in the conditions:

"Diagnostic and usage information may include details about hardware and operating system specifications, performance statistics, and data about how you use your device and applications. None of the collected information identifies you personally. Personal data is either not logged at all or is removed from any reports before they’re sent to Apple"

I'd say it's significant IMO because the more crash reports that Apple receives the better chance we get at having an update released (Hopefully).

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK

"Diagnostic and usage information may include details about hardware and operating system specifications, performance statistics, and data about how you use your device and applications. None of the collected information identifies you personally. Personal data is either not logged at all or is removed from any reports before they’re sent to Apple"

I'd say it's significant IMO because the more crash reports that Apple receives the better chance we get at having an update released (Hopefully).

Thnx a lot!#

----------

Oh how about the other option to share with app developers?

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I've had a few freezes on my new Air 2. Not a huge problem but a bit irritating.
Never happens on my original Air but that is on 7.1.1.

Hopefully Apple will pick up on it via the flood of diagnostics and fix it in a later release.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Thnx a lot!#

----------

Oh how about the other option to share with app developers?

Same applies with the app developers

----------

I've had a few freezes on my new Air 2. Not a huge problem but a bit irritating.
Never happens on my original Air but that is on 7.1.1.

Hopefully Apple will pick up on it via the flood of diagnostics and fix it in a later release.

Agreed. This is the only negative thing I have to say about the Air 2. Everything else is fantastic.

daio

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
My iPad Air 2 freezes from time to time and each time it did come back without hard restart. It took about four minutes with one freeze but it did recover. The apps that were open when it froze were not Apple or stock apps, they were third party app store apps.

(DJay 2, Frozen - ironically, Downcast and Angry Birds Friends, if anyone is interested)

pallymore

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Boston, MA
I have had a few of the brief appearances of the apple boot logo and one hard freeze that required a cold boot. I can't recall what I was doing when it froze.

same here...
it just rebooted on me when i'm browsing google search results in Safari.

and it froze a couple of times since I got it :/

I think this is a known issue. I've had a few of those with my iPad 3, and my 5s.
It was worse when I just got the 5s (shortly after it was released) it reboots like 10 times a day...until some update finally fixed it.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
There is a front page macrumors article on iPhone 6/6+ 128GB models exhibiting boot loop problems and locks ups.

This thread post log entry is similar to my first air 2 wifi model not would panic shutdown and the log file is similar.

This problem may be more widespread than not!

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20276769/

My gold iPad air 2 LTE has not had one single crash or restart since over a week of constant use now. Same amount of apps as my first air 2 and yet on this model nothing but awesomeness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.