Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a video message sent out to retail employees, Apple's Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores Angela Ahrendts revealed that the Apple Watch will be launching in the Spring of next year, reports 9To5Mac. The timeframe given is slightly more specific than Apple's own launch projection of "early next year", which was shared during its initial unveil of the Apple Watch back in September.

apple_watch_blue.png
"So, again, we do - you guys were hired because you're the best people in the world. And you know how to service customers, but we are sprinting a marathon and it's not going to stop. Right? We're going into the holidays, we'll go into Chinese New Year, and then we've got a new watch launch coming in the spring."
The report also notes that Apple will be training its retail employees on how to introduce customers to the Apple Watch. Apple Retail Stores will allow customers to try on the wearable device and experience the different sizes and bands offered. The Apple Watch's presence at the company's retail stores are said to be a big emphasis for Ahrendts, who believes that sales of the device will help deepen relationships with customers.

A source briefed on Apple's plans for the Apple Watch told The Information in September that the company would be "lucky to ship it by Valentine's Day." That report stated that Apple planned to have the watch ready to ship in time for the 2014 holiday season, but had problems finishing software development in time. Hints of a delay on the software side first surfaced shortly after the device's unveiling, as members of the press who were invited to spend some hands-on time with the devices noted that none of the display units were running the actual Watch OS operating system.

Article Link: Apple Watch Launching in 'Spring' According to Apple Retail Chief Angela Ahrendts

Last edited:

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Might be just me, but am I the only one who thinks Apple has better hardware for their smart watch, but Google seems to have better UI & software for their's?

jwbrobst

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
After seeing the iPad Air 2, this style of hardware design feels like a step backwards to me.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Just like the iPhone it is going to be about the third party apps. What are developers going to come up with?

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I can not imagine what segment of users will buy this. For folks who wear watches as an accessory... they aren't going to move away from their Rolexes. For folks who want health related stuff tracked, there are cheaper options available. There simply can't be a value that the watch will provide being a part of an ecosystem that's worth 350 bucks.

Edit - But then hey... Apple knows what I want better than I do I guess

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
hmm...i know this is kinda unfair to say cause i'd like the apple watch to be great and all but what about mac os x?
i am sad because they will release the next mac os in a year with a few little changes again cause they need all their devs for the watch os and ios... :(

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Might be just me, but am I the only one who thinks Apple has better hardware for their smart watch, but Google seems to have better UI & software for their's?[/QUOTE

You mean like the Motorola that cuts off the text. Nah.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Lots of previewing and teasing for the watch, yet here we are with barely any clue what the Photos apps is going to be like, the software that is supposedly coming out early next year.
The replacement for two software products that have been pretty much dead (as in orphaned) for longer than the announcement of their EOL date.

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Might be just me, but am I the only one who thinks Apple has better hardware for their smart watch, but Google seems to have better UI & software for their's?

I don't think so. Google's approach seems to be shrinking the phone interface down. It looks clunky and the animations are very basic and generic. I don't find Android very appealing visually though so it's hard for me to appreciate what they are doing with wearables. To me Apple is the only company so far to try and apply new UX paradigms to the smart watch. I'm looking forward to seeing how they work in practice.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's disappointing. I was hoping for February. "Spring" could be June 20, but hopefully it is more like April.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Better, than something you know absolutely nothing about and that noone outside Apple has ever use... Wow, you do minority report type reviews?

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
The first 4 words of your post is all you really needed to say....

I can not imagine what segment of users will buy this. For folks who wear watches as an accessory... they aren't going to move away from their Rolexes. For folks who want health related stuff tracked, there are cheaper options available. There simply can't be a value that the watch will provide being a part of an ecosystem that's worth 350 bucks.

Memorymoog

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
How can you compare the design of a tablet computer to that of jewelry? :mad:

I think he means the textures & overall look...the watch with its shininess kind of looks like the first iPhone or older ipod touch...a step back so to speak in design. I guess there is the sport version with anodized aluminum too...but still this thing is pretty thick.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

Are you asserting that people who wear watches as an accessory ONLY wear Rolexes? And is it your further assertion that people who monitor their health are also always aiming for the cheapest way to do so? And finally, are you asserting that you absolutely know (by your declarative statement) that there's no value at all here for anyone based on the price point, which means you know how people should spend their money?

As for your edit, you did get that correct. Apple does tend to know better than people what they want. That's been a signature of theirs for quite a while.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
hmm...i know this is kinda unfair to say cause i'd like the apple watch to be great and all but what about mac os x?
i am sad because they will release the next mac os in a year with a few little changes again cause they need all their devs for the watch os and ios... :(
Remember when OS X was so different from year to year that you couldn't tell it was even the same operating system?

Neither can I.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

No one will buy a Iphone, Ipod, never ever ever, I can't see it.... Read 2007 and 2002 for some laugh at yourself.

There's plenty of people who will buy it and none are obviously like you ;-).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
According to Chinese calendar, the "Start of Spring" festival is on 4 February 2015 and the "Start of Summer" festival is on 6 May 2015. ;) Given Apple's history of availability announcement, it will be closer to May than February :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.