Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpherbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
I recently purchased my first mac. It's a 2014 13" mac air 4 gig of 128 storage drive. I've installed Windows 7 ultimate and I'm unable to use the serial port for downloading info from a race car tach. The program says there's a port error. HELP!

Gpherbert

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Serial port? MBPs have no serial port. Are you using the USB?

gpherbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
Yes sorry, I'm using a USB to serial adapter cable. The driver loads fine in windows and shows everything is ok in device manager. But when I attempt to use it, no joy.......

Thx.
Gregg

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Windows 7 in a VM or booting natively?

COM port set in software to match COM port number in device manager?

Baud rate etc set in software to match settings in device manager? and if so tried lower baud rate (e.g. 9k6 or 19k2 rather than 57k6)

gpherbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
Windows 7 in a VM or booting natively?

COM port set in software to match COM port number in device manager?

Baud rate etc set in software to match settings in device manager? and if so tried lower baud rate (e.g. 9k6 or 19k2 rather than 57k6)

Hey ok , sorry for not explaining more. I've installed windows7 onto its own partition. I'm not sure what VM or booting natively means.

When I boot, I have to hold down the alt key then select windows.........

The usb to serial adapter software says everything is fine. And is assigned to COM1. The tachometer software is also assigned to COM1.

When I tell the tach software to start the d/l I get a port error.

thanks for any help....

Gregg

gpherbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
Well this site just oozes knowledge........i just walked outside plugged everything in and the tach just d/l'd the run. I went to get the error msg but it worked so I'm not arguing. Awesome!

Next problem, no sound. HELP!

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
edit just saw you got it sorted :) ignore the attachment was part of my original reply and cant seem to get rid of it now lol

sound issue is most likely down to missing drivers (unless you've got the volume muted somewhere)
I think the 'bootcamp support drivers' should include the audio drivers you need?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.