Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
It arrives on Weds. I am about to tear my eyes out scrolling through dozens of cases and what not because for every case I see that looks good I see a dozen ratings saying it's cheap and falls apart.

All I want is a clear back (so I can see the gold finish) with a smart cover. Quality is somewhat important but I can also settle on a temporary solution if there is some amazing case about to release. I do believe Air smart covers work with the Air 2 as well?

Links please! I'd like to order (Amazon prime?) or pick up something (Best Buy?) today.

Thanks for the help!

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I have a gold one too but am in the uk and there are no clear rears here with good reviews yet that fit with smart covers.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The only one I've seen is the BoxWave one for £14.36 on Amazon UK for pre-order. It's being released this Friday. I'm also looking for the same thing. It seems to be really slow for these to show up for sale or pre-order for the iPad Air 2. I might end up getting that one at least for now until something better comes out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BoxWave-App...5040497&sr=8-5&keywords=iPad+Air+2+clear+case

In the US there are the Luvvitt and KayCase ones for sale online.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Ok... thanks for the replies.

I wanted to go with the clear Kayscase http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC5OTWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A14BVCBXUQV1IP and actually placed the order... then when I refreshed the page I saw a fresh review dated today that states it's not actually clear and the case has a loose fit at the bottom and he has to pay for return shipping!

Ugh... I just cancelled. I think what I am going to do is just keep the iPad in the box until a legit case comes along. When I want to use it I'll just take the box lid off... LOL

I'm 100% serious! This case shopping is so annoying!

Last edited:

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Do you need to see the entire back of the case? If not, do a google search for Dodocase Bookback. That with the Smart Cover = Great protection.

Have you also looked into pouches? I use the Waterfield Designs Smart Case which protects it really well, go to sfbags.com Again, that with the Smart Cover works extremely well. It may be a little pricey, but I paid a lot for my iPad, plan on having it for a long time, and I am not a fan of buying a $5 piece of plastic to protect my $800 device.

Kaelbron

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Can I borrow this thread? I am also looking for a case for my iPad which I shall order and I don't really like to have cases. I'm going to try to have something to protect it with when you've got it in the bag and would like to have a position.

I think smart covers can be good if it weren't so they must of course apparently wearing down into over time along the edge and I don't want to. Since then I'm worried that that edge to Smart Cover (other cases) as to fold to get different angles to the hoard of crap in the long run that may lead to the scratch screen?

What do you recommend to me?

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Have you also looked into pouches? I use the Waterfield Designs Smart Case which protects it really well, go to sfbags.com Again, that with the Smart Cover works extremely well. It may be a little pricey, but I paid a lot for my iPad, plan on having it for a long time, and I am not a fan of buying a $5 piece of plastic to protect my $800 device.

I agree! Not wanting to put a cheap piece of plastic on my device.

I like the WD smart case! So you just have the iPad with the smart cover and no kind of a case on the back? Does it have a shoulder strap or do you just carry it by hand?

I also liked the sleevecase that does have a shoulder strap.

They are about the same price either way...

Last edited:

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I agree! Not wanting to put a cheap piece of plastic on my device.

I like the WD smart case! So you just have the iPad with the smart cover and no kind of a case on the back? Does it have a shoulder strap or do you just carry it by hand?

I also liked the sleevecase that does have a shoulder strap.

They are about the same price either way...

I've been using the WD Smartcases since the iPad 2. I am currently using the Apple Smartcase with the WD Smartcase. I really would prefer to have the form factor of the Air 2, so I ordered the Dodocase Bookback today, I want to see how that works out and I may sell or return the Apple Smartcase. I'll keep you posted.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Ok... thanks for the replies.

I wanted to go with the clear Kayscase http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC5OTWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A14BVCBXUQV1IP and actually placed the order... then when I refreshed the page I saw a fresh review dated today that states it's not actually clear and the case has a loose fit at the bottom and he has to pay for return shipping!

Ugh... I just cancelled. I think what I am going to do is just keep the iPad in the box until a legit case comes along. When I want to use it I'll just take the box lid off... LOL

I'm 100% serious! This case shopping is so annoying!

Blame Apple for not sharing information earlier.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I am currently using the Apple Smartcase with the WD Smartcase. I really would prefer to have the form factor of the Air 2, so I ordered the Dodocase Bookback today, I want to see how that works out and I may sell or return the Apple Smartcase. I'll keep you posted.

Please do.

I decided to go with the olive brown Apple smartcase with the WD green smartcase. The brown goes with the gold nicely according to others.

It's an expensive but good alternative to $5 plastic. Let me know how the bookback works out... isn't it a 3-4 week ship time?

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Please do.

I decided to go with the olive brown Apple smartcase with the WD green smartcase. The brown goes with the gold nicely according to others.

It's an expensive but good alternative to $5 plastic. Let me know how the bookback works out... isn't it a 3-4 week ship time?

Ordered the Dodo Bookrack yesterday after I posted, got the delivery confirmation 2 hours later, tracking shows it will arrive 11/7.

Went to the Apple Store today and purchased the SmartCover. Definitely a big enough difference in size that has me aiming to return the Apple SmartCase. Slid the iPad into the WD Smartcase, I definitely feel it is the perfect combo. Im covering the front, back, it is completely protected when not in use, and I get the benefit of the form factor and light weight. I feel like Charlie Sheen right now....Winning!

When the Bookrack arrives I'll take a photo of the combo.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Ordered the Dodo Bookrack yesterday after I posted, got the delivery confirmation 2 hours later, tracking shows it will arrive 11/7.

Went to the Apple Store today and purchased the SmartCover. Definitely a big enough difference in size that has me aiming to return the Apple SmartCase. Slid the iPad into the WD Smartcase, I definitely feel it is the perfect combo. Im covering the front, back, it is completely protected when not in use, and I get the benefit of the form factor and light weight. I feel like Charlie Sheen right now....Winning!

When the Bookrack arrives I'll take a photo of the combo.

Cool I'd like to see it.

What's strange is when I click the first 2 cases on this page
http://www.dodocase.com/collections/all-dodocases-for-ipad-air and choose Air 2 both say 3-4 week ship time.

I guess you ordered something else.

Anyway... I picked up the Apple smart case from the store at the mall tonight... The WD smart case shipped today and I should have it at the end of the week.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Cool I'd like to see it.

What's strange is when I click the first 2 cases on this page
http://www.dodocase.com/collections/all-dodocases-for-ipad-air and choose Air 2 both say 3-4 week ship time.

I guess you ordered something else.

Anyway... I picked up the Apple smart case from the store at the mall tonight... The WD smart case shipped today and I should have it at the end of the week.

Nice! It really is a great combo. The Case I got is the Bookback Skin for iPad Air/iPad Air 2 for $24.95

http://www.dodocase.com/products/bookback-skin-for-ipad-air

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I've been using the WD Smartcases since the iPad 2. I am currently using the Apple Smartcase with the WD Smartcase. I really would prefer to have the form factor of the Air 2, so I ordered the Dodocase Bookback today, I want to see how that works out and I may sell or return the Apple Smartcase. I'll keep you posted.

The olive brown Apple smartcase with the WD green smartcase has me quite happy.

No issues here. Expensive but better than $5 plastic.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Just received my Dodocase Bookback today. It's was precisely what I was looking for. It covers the back perfectly and looks great. Easy to apply, and as I flattened it out while installing, the apple logo on the back forms into the skin due to the slight indentation. The only other concern I had was if the Smart Cover magnet would hold over the skin like it did when it was without it...it does. This Bookback combined with the Waterfield Designs case is perfect for me. Here are some shots.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415635582.949435.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415635600.396618.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415635613.215501.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415635626.083243.jpg

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
looks kind of weird

how come there aren't any high quality rear films for the ipad air 2? i definitely don't want a case for this super thin and light device

i have been using the oem wrapping around my air 2 as the case for now......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.