Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex225

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Just wondered what people have done with their old iPads other than trade or sell them?

I've recently bought an Air 2 and have an rMini so my iPad 3 was made redundant. I was going to give it to my girlfriend but she just bought an Air 2 and I bought my mum a Mini 2 so she had no use for it.

Decided last night to clear everything from the iPad 3, fill it with music and use it as a music streaming device mainly for use in my bedroom but can be used to stream to my Apple TV (and amp) downstairs.

Just wondered what others had done with their redundant devices.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I hand down mine to the grandkids. But we are now at the point share we have an extra each year so we've been donating them to the local children's hospital (this is our second year). I include an iTunes gift card. They have been much appreciated.

It's a great way to help out some folks who are facing really hard times.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I hand down mine to the grandkids. But we are now at the point share we have an extra each year so we've been donating them to the local children's hospital (this is our second year). I include an iTunes gift card. They have been much appreciated.

Nice.

waynerbbx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014

That's really nice of you! I'm not sure that I could do something like that (greedy...) but I'm sure that that is appreciated very much.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I leave mine in the kitchen for cooking help and sometimes music and streaming TV.

Alex225

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Donnaw I must admit that's a really nice thing to do! Credit to you. :)

My use of my iPad 3 is far less noble.

It's a 64gb model so plenty of space but performance isn't brilliant with iOS 8. So I've removed most apps and have put a huge chunk of my music onto it.

I now have a massive pile of music in a device I can carry around so it can stream upstairs to my basic hifi or my Apple TV box downstairs rather than always have my iMac on for it!

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
retired iPad

I use my old iPad 2 for streaming music to my audio system, primarily.

Right now it is on loan to a friend of mine who is considering purchasing a tablet for her weekend travels where she has been lugging around a 10+lb PC whose wireless connection is wearing out.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

That's a nice thing to do. A few years back my daughter spent three months in hospital. So many of the kids were regulars in there. They were all so bored.

I think I'll do the same next time I upgrade.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
That's a nice thing to do. A few years back my daughter spent three months in hospital. So many of the kids were regulars in there. They were all so bored.

I think I'll do the same next time I upgrade.

Glad to hear you're consdering it. There's not a better use for our old iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.