Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Increased consumer interest in NFC mobile payments related to Apple's recent launch of its Apple Pay mobile payment service appears to be having benefits for other services as well, reports Ars Technica. A major beneficiary of this new consumer awareness of mobile transactions is Google Wallet, which reportedly has seen a marked increase in usage over the past few months.

google_wallet_passbook_icons.jpg
NFC-based mobile payments have had a boost in recent months, possibly thanks to the launch of Apple Pay, which was announced in September. Now, a person with knowledge of the matter tells Ars that Google Wallet, which launched back in 2011 and saw tepid success in the ensuing three years, has had considerable growth in the last couple of months. According to our source, weekly transactions have increased by 50 percent, and in the recent couple of months, new users have nearly doubled compared to the previous month.
Apple launched its mobile payment service in October with the support of major retailers and credit card companies. The service logged over 1 million card activations in the first three days of usage with overall positive reviews.

The Apple Pay launch was not without controversy with both CVS and Rite Aid suspending their mobile payments shortly after the service made its official debut, moves that affected not only Apple Pay but all NFC-based payment services including Google Wallet.

The two pharmacy chains, along with a number of other major retailers, are developing a competing service, CurrentC, which as currently implemented uses QR codes and an app to process transactions. The shutting down of NFC at these retailers has even resulted in an alliance between Android and iOS users on Reddit to boycott retailers involved in the CurrentC effort.

Article Link: Google Wallet Sees Surge in Usage Alongside Apple Pay Launch

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Apple has a lot of public awareness. Nothing exists until Apple releases it.

That was the magnetism Steve Job had.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I started using Google Wallet this month also and contributed to that 50% increase in new users in this time period. :)

I even tried it at a Rite Aid. I got through the very end, and then it failed...I was impressed that the Rite-Aid employee said that "yeah, we disabled that way of paying...but you can surely try"

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Makes perfect sense.

I can't believe that people with google wallet weren't using it before. I guess the saw all Apple pay users and wanted to start using it too.

Android saves the CC data at the server level could be a reason lots of people didn't jump in with google Wallet.

Last edited:

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
this is outrageous! how DARE google wallet not accept apple pay! class action lawsuitzzz

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Good. What we want is at the point merchants have to replace their terminals due to PCI compliance, they spring for the terminals with NFC.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Makes perfect since.

I can't believe that people with google wallet weren't using it before. I guess the saw all Apple pay users and wanted to start using it too.

Android saves the CC data at the server level could be a reason lots of people didn't jump in with google Pay.

Google did a horrible job "selling" the feature. Outside of the android fans (and the vast majority of their users are not enthusiasts) I am willing to bet most of their users didn't even know they had NFC capabilities.

I've seen terminals, also, that say "apple oay" and "Google wallet" right in the screen. I never saw that before apple oay launched.

----------

I think I just got a nosebleed from how little that makes sense.

Adjust your sarcasm detector today? :)

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
This is good news for everyone.

I've been using Google Wallet for some time now. It kinda sucks that upon the release of Apple Pay some of the merchants disabled the NFC sale.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Nice to see - we want NFC to be used in a large scale and be viewed as important to retailers.

Made a point of going to Meijer yesterday (its a bit out of the way for me) and using :apple:Pay just because they kept their NFC operations going despite the CurrentC cabal requirement to shut it down. I'd encourage anyone that can go to Meijer and use NFC of any kind in the coming days to do so - keeping NFC relevant/important is probably helpful in this situation.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Whats going on here...

Every single NFC payment service springs up more overnight with Apple leading the pack

I find it interesting everybody is not interested until Apple does something, then they all start getting better n a few months only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.