Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced a significant update to its Google Maps apps for iOS and Android, with the most immediately visible change being a new, bolder look for the apps.
Bold colors and textures are in--and Google Maps is on trend, with a slick new style to make traveling with Maps even easier. Over the next few days, when you open up Google Maps on your Android or iPhone, you'll be greeted by bright colors and a fresh new design. This new look is all about creating surfaces and shadows that echo the real world; with Google Maps' new material feel, layers and buttons come to life so you know just where to touch to get directions, recommendations and imagery.
Beyond the new look, Google Maps will also be adding OpenTable support in the United States, allowing users to make reservations at participating restaurants right from the app.

google_maps_uber_opentable.jpg
Google Maps' new look with Uber (left) and OpenTable (right) integration
Expanded support for car service Uber is also included for those who have the Uber app installed on their phones. Building on an existing feature that offers ride-time estimates and one-tap access to the Uber app from Google Maps directions, Uber users will soon be able to see estimated pickup times and fares for routes plotted in Google Maps.

The Google Maps [Direct Link] update is not yet live, but the company says it will be rolling out in the next few days.

Update November 6 8:24 AM: The update is now live on the App Store.

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Rolling Out New Look With OpenTable and Uber Integration

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Actually looks really nice. I drive but that Uber integration seems like it could come in handy for a lot of people.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It's pretty ironic how the latest and greatest features on Google Maps for iOS were only developed when Apple created their own maps application. For that, if nothing, I'm very thankful for Apple Maps.

zerdoulle

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
It's pretty ironic how the latest and greatest features on Google Maps for iOS were only developed when Apple created their own maps application. For that, if nothing, I'm very thankful for Apple Maps.

It's "pretty ironic" how the latest and greatest Iphone(s) king-size were introduced ... after... soo ... longtime after Google.

For that, i m really thankful to have an Android since the beginning :cool:

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Actually looks really nice. I drive but that Uber integration seems like it could come in handy for a lot of people.

I find it hard to navigate the new Google look. The symbols aren't standard. I take it they're from Android. Maps is quite good in L.A., and with the exception of one feature-- the ability to swipe through the turn-by-turn routes-- I prefer the Maps interface by a lot.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have to say Google has been killing it with all of their app redesigns. Maps, Inbox and the new calendar app all look great. I'm too hooked into Mailbox and Sunrise to switch but I look forward to using the new Maps app at least.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Finally! Thankfully I have the tweak to optimize the current Google Maps for the 6Plus screen. I'm looking forward to the new update, though. It looks nice.

But dang Google, you could have used a iPhone 6 Plus in the pictures.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hopefully they'll include night mode, adjustable volume for turn-by-turn, and a better turn-by-turn voice. I keep using Apple Maps for navigation for these three reasons (especially night mode), despite Google Maps' overall superiority.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Have to hand it to Google...

They are certainly taking design seriously with Lollipop, and have built an entirely new design formula going forward- "Material Design." Even as a long time Apple user, it looks really good. Apple should be paying attention.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How many taps does it take to do anything in the app though?

That's my main frustration with Google Maps on mobile... it just takes way too long to actually see where something is on a map or to get driving directions. The desktop web version is much better at this, as is Apple Maps.

Or at least it was prior to this update. Will have to check out the update to see if they actually fixed that.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
It's "pretty ironic" how the latest and greatest Iphone(s) king-size were introduced ... after... soo ... longtime after Google.

Really not a fair comparison. Companies like Samsung control the screen size of Android phones not Google. For instance Samsung brought out an android powered tablet way before Google recommended companies to do so. Android wasn't ready at the time.

Moreover there was valid engineering reasons for Apple not to sell a larger screen iPhone until recently. Tests have shown that the larger screen Android phones struggle with graphic intensive applications because of the processing power needed to power the large screens. Apples 64 bit processing power with the new graphics module blows away anything Android has right now. The new processor was needed so the larger iPhones work as good or better than the smaller ones.

One thing I appreciate about Apple is it isn't always rushing out new technology before it has a chance to be well developed.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto

*looks at join date.

Thanks for stopping by.

D.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
How many taps does it take to do anything in the app though?

That's my main frustration with Google Maps on mobile... it just takes way too long to actually see where something is on a map or to get driving directions. The desktop web version is much better at this, as is Apple Maps.

Or at least it was prior to this update. Will have to check out the update to see if they actually fixed that.

I tried Google maps for a while but have been largely unhappy with the results. Google maps doesn't reroute on the fly as quickly as Apple maps and it often times tells me to make a turn after I've already passed the turn. It also isn't very intuitive to use in terms of starting our route and searching. The only thing I like better about it is it has a better point of interest database.Apple maps is also prettier to look at. Where I live in Michigan I also haven't had any problems with that navigating me around.

Dave532

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
I actually prefer Apple Maps in the UK because the directions have so far never let me down (since I started using it in iOS 7, it was indeed rubbish in iOS6).

The funny thing is what I like about it is Apple use the correct colours (i.e. following the standard most UK maps follow) for roads. Motorways blue, primary routes green.

It's odd that Google had it correct, but then switched to US colors for UK maps when they updated it. When Apple Maps in iOS 6 launched that was one of the things I hated, but they fixed their colours while Google went in the other direction.

One thing I do like about Google is they use the correct British symbols for Rail station, Tube station, Metro, etc whereas Apple uses the generic icons in circles. Hopefully they won't remove that feature.

On the desktop I prefer the classic Google maps to the new Google maps.

Also recently Apple have been processing my corrections within 3 days so I'm starting to gain more confidence in them.

Uber?
Disgusting, surprised they push this horrendous company.

I was told by an Uber driver that Google is a major investor in the company. Although it's odd in that case that each Uber drive is given an iPhone by the company. Uber is also supporting Apple Pay in-app.

I do question the company's morals in some cities but in London they operate entirely within the law, although it's worth remembering that for short journeys it's usually worth paying more through a licensed cab (e.g. through apps like Hailo or Get Taxi) because they can use bus lanes (very beneficial in London traffic) and know the area better due to 'The Knowledge' (a detailed exam about the streets of London).

I will say UberX (Uber's cheapest cars) is excellent value if you need to get from Central London to Heathrow Airport. Although the tube trains will only cost about £4, the Express train is a ridiculous £21 per person but UberX is £37 to most destinations so cheaper if two or more are travelling and of course the benefits of door to door transport. A normal taxi will cost anywhere between £60 and £100 for the same journey (depending on traffic, time of day, etc).

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007

That wasn't Google's fault. Apple owned the UI of the original Maps app. Google was just a partner for the data. Apple did Google a favor by ditching them and letting Google create their own apps without Apple intervention/limitations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.