Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caseycicada

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I was going to become a firefighter, and steal things out of people's houses while they were burning, and resell on ebay.

Poorly thought out, yes.

What your master plan as a ten year old (or younger)?

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I was a little older than 10, maybe 13 I had the bright idea of door-to-door lawn services. My dad had a lawn mower and weed whacker, so bam that's all I needed.

When I was 15 I was going to open up a car wash, I was even getting a classmate on board to help me. I envisioned cars lined up for blocks.

Not one of those "million dollar" ideas saw the light of day heh.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I tried to kidnap my younger sister from my parents, and hold her hostage. My crayon-written ransom note for $100 must not have been convincing.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
A friend and I sold gum in high school. We'd buy a box of 24 packs of Bazooka at Big Lots for like $5 and then sell them for 50 cents a pack. We'd sell about a box a day. Ended up getting called in by the principal and told to stop.

Last edited:

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
No get rich quick scheme here. Got my first job illegally at 13. It was at a mediocre birthday party place for little kids. We served pizza and snacks and played stupid music and dressed up in cartoon character costumes. The place was really tacky and I would never have my own kids birthday there, it wasn't open for very long. Then when I was 15 I got my lifeguard license, and that was pretty much the kick off to my employment history.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I worked on Farms mowing their lawns, throwning hay in hot lofts, etc. I was getting paid under the table, good times getting into shape for the next school year.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
Your best get-rich-quick scheme as a kid

Grandma got me 4 huge Israeli bonds 4000 grand each. There's about 20 grand in my bank right now.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I wanted to be an actor then a lawyer when I was a kid, I don't remember it being about getting rich though.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
My brother and I bought some reproduction 17th and 18th century currency on a trip. We tried to sell it to my moms friend as authentic. Needless to say it didn't work.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
A friend and I sold gum in high school. We'd buy a box of 24 packs of Bazooka at Big Lots for like $5 and then sell them for 50 cents a pack. We'd sell about a box a day. Ended up getting called in by the principal and told to stop.

Did that too but with Bubblicious, Snickers and other candy.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

That's nearly a 60% margin, not bad!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
When I was a kid, I thought that one day there’d be a global information network, and that I would build a way to search it, and once that grew probably offer other services so people could communicate, and even design an underlying business model that sold advertisements across that network.

Obviously, I was just a kid and it was a silly idea.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When I was a kid, I was the sort of bookish nerd who wondered occasionally about the get-rich-schemes of other entrepreneurially minded kids.

As someone who hasn't an entrepreneurial bone in my body - and who comes from a long line of public service workers - this is a world view that mystifies me. Yes, there were kids who hustled as kids (and went on to run businesses as adults). Then, there were the kids who bought into and were convinced by the get-rich-quick schemes of the entrepreneurs. (That wasn't me either - even as a kid, marketing hype no matter how expertly spun, rarely persuaded me).

However, if an entrepreneur in short pants was of a mind to dispose of their library (comprised of often brand new and clearly unread children's books), then they would find in me a willing buyer……

Even now, I am a thoughtful and conscientious buyer, insisting on high standards, rather than any sort of a seller. I have never initiated a trade in my life, and, on the rare occasions where I have been involved in the sort of transaction as a seller where cash has changed hands (or, rather, travelled to bank accounts) the initiative has invariably come from the other party (as when I was asked to sell my 11" MBA earlier this year to a colleague, who wished to give it as a gift to his wife).

Fascinating thread, though…...

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Search the forum for Squilly.

;)
I visited this thread strictly for the purpose of finding my username somewhere. And it had to be you...

----------

My brother did this exact thing too, but from the dollar store. Sold pieces for $.25 a piece until he was told to stop.

----------

Grandma got me 4 huge Israeli bonds 4000 grand each. There's about 20 grand in my bank right now.

Only 20% interest after they matured?

----------

When I was a kid, I thought that one day there’d be a global information network, and that I would build a way to search it, and once that grew probably offer other services so people could communicate, and even design an underlying business model that sold advertisements across that network.

Obviously, I was just a kid and it was a silly idea.

Google.

----------

Anyway... Answering OP's question: I never did anything personally but best was when my brother almost won half a million in playing the Powerball. Too bad the machine broke before he submitted his numbers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I never had a get rich scheme - at least one that I can remember. As a kid, I wanted to be fireman/policeman etc. I never thought about what type of paycheck I'd draw. I guess, what I'm saying is money wasn't a major factor in my youth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.