Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Unfortunately, Google failed to make a great calendar app (again), even though it is better than it was, so for those of you looking for a Calendar app with Material design, intuitive and is updated regularly then this is what you want. Honestly, Google should have just bought this developers app.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.underwood.calendar_beta

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-05-11-32-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-05-11-32-48.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 150

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
What's wrong with Google Calendar?

I'm not saying it isn't better than it was or that it isn't usable, Google just seems like they half arsed it. Why do I need to always click the top to get month view? Why is it that I can't stay in month view when I click on a future date? Why does the 5 day view look like absolute crap (see attachment)? Why can't I select a view and always have it default to that view (like I want month view, every time I open the app. Instead I get day view only. )

These are just a few reasons.

Look at this horrid 'week view' (unfortunately the Today app uses Googles api, and is stuck with this as well):

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-05-11-57-35.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-05-11-57-35.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 129

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Aha didn't see that month view was hidden. That does seem kind of odd. The reasons I've hardly ever used google calendar because I didn't like the agenda widget view. I prefer Samsung's implementation that gives you a full month widget.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
I'm not saying it isn't better than it was or that it isn't usable, Google just seems like they half arsed it. Why do I need to always click the top to get month view? Why is it that I can't stay in month view when I click on a future date? Why does the 5 day view look like absolute crap (see attachment)? Why can't I select a view and always have it default to that view (like I want month view, every time I open the app. Instead I get day view only. )

These are just a few reasons.

Look at this horrid 'week view' (unfortunately the Today app uses Googles api, and is stuck with this as well):

If you tap the three dots in UR you can change that view to an agenda view which is much nicer. It stays that way, as well, the next time you open it. Give it more than a one minute chance next time.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If you tap the three dots in UR you can change that view to an agenda view which is much nicer. It stays that way, as well, the next time you open it. Give it more than a one minute chance next time.

Please read my post more carefully before you respond. Maybe take more than one minute to review the info next time.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Not sure if any of you actually tried S Planner on the Note 4, but it's awesome. I really love the feature of being able to write notes on the calendar like you would on a paper calendar. Very cool feature. Haven't had any issues yet. The less bloat, the better.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
All this talk about views is missing the real changes in Google Calendar, which is the deep integration with gmail and Google Now, so it can intelligently add info to your events and even create them.

I've tried Sunrise Calendar, another highly regarded app, and in the end realized the UI doesn't really matter all that much.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
May give it a look, honestly I always liked the Samsung Calendar and used it for years.

Not sure if any of you actually tried S Planner on the Note 4, but it's awesome. I really love the feature of being able to write notes on the calendar like you would on a paper calendar. Very cool feature. Haven't had any issues yet. The less bloat, the better.

I agree I like Sammy's calendar myself. I haven't tried S Planner (unless that is it's official name).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

What is S Planner? Couldn't find it in the app store. I love Samsung calendar on the Note 4 though, month view and I can see my daily appointments clearly. Another thing that high resolution screen is good for.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
lol this thread title is such a clickbait :D

But thanks for the app suggestion, I'll check it out tonight.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
What is S Planner? Couldn't find it in the app store. I love Samsung calendar on the Note 4 though, month view and I can see my daily appointments clearly. Another thing that high resolution screen is good for.
S Planner is the Samsung Calender. Not called that on your phone? On my S5, tablet, and pretty sure S2 it was.

What I'm not sure of is when you search online people talk about Google Calender not playing nicely with S Planner. Huh?!? Am I missing something? Why would you be trying to use two different Calendar apps, use one or the other lol.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Sticking with Google Calendar 5.0

I've tried Today. I've tried Samsung Calendar. And they're all very good.

But the fact that Google Calendar 5.0 (much like their new Gmail Inbox), combines all of my email appointments as well as my Reminders, it's a no-brainer for me.

It also looks fantastic and after a few more updates, will be just about perfect for my needs.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yes I like that reminders are integrated into google's Calendar. I wish we could edit them there, other than just marking them done. But for now just having them is nice.

Mike

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I may be a sucker for this kind of stuff, but the little things like the photos in the background of my appts. is great. Ex: my daughter has swimming lessons every Tuesday night and on Google Calendar 5.0, there is a picture of a swimming pool in the background of that particular appointment each week. Smart stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.