Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Weird question, but I just bought these cheap "filament silk" gloves from Amazon for light desk work.

I won't wear/use any purchase fabric before I wash them. I'm a noob at anything other than the washing machine. I googled how to on wikihow and it mentioned vinegar for shine? :confused:

How should you hand wash these?

Thanks!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
In sink with lukewarm water and a couple of drops of detergent. Hand wash for a couple. Next rinse under cool water and then soak in cool water with a few tablespoons of vinegar for 5 to 10 minutes. Then just hang to dry.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
In sink with lukewarm water and a couple of drops of detergent. Hand wash for a couple. Next rinse under cool water and then soak in cool water with a few tablespoons of vinegar for 5 to 10 minutes. Then just hang to dry.

Thank you. That's what wikihow said, but I just wanted to make sure.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
We had white cotton gloves for college marching band that had to be "spotless". The washing machine was brutal on them. The best technique was to stuff them into a two liter pop bottle with some Woolite and some bleach, fill it about half full of water, and manually agitate it (shake it 'till your arms fell off). Fish them out of the bottle, rinse them in the sink, and air dry.

For silk, I'd skip the bleach.

woodywoodz

Suspended
Apr 12, 2014
NewYork

It helps me a lot, thanks :)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
We had white cotton gloves for college marching band that had to be "spotless". The washing machine was brutal on them. The best technique was to stuff them into a two liter pop bottle with some Woolite and some bleach, fill it about half full of water, and manually agitate it (shake it 'till your arms fell off). Fish them out of the bottle, rinse them in the sink, and air dry.

For silk, I'd skip the bleach.

That sounds like so much work! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.