Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular Mac Photoshop alternative Pixelmator was today updated to version 3.3 "Limestone," introducing a redesigned interface, a repair tool extension, and support for several OS X Yosemite features including iCloud Drive and Handoff. The update also brings support for the new iMac with Retina 5K display.

Pixelmator's subtle redesign was inspired by OS X Yosemite, bringing a flatter look and translucency to many interface elements to help the editing app blend in better with Apple's newest Mac operating system.

pixelmatorlimestone.jpg
The app now includes full iCloud Drive support, making it easy to access images on any iOS device or Mac, and with Handoff, users can start editing an image on a Mac and instantly switch to Pixelmator's recently released iPad app with just a tap. There are also new Repair Tool Action Extensions, letting users edit images in Mail or TextEditor using Pixelmator tools.
Pixelmator 3.3 Limestone adds complete OS X Yosemite feature and technology support and embraces new Continuity features, like Handoff, so you can switch instantly between Mac and iPad apps, as well as iCloud Drive support, so you can safely store and access all your images on the device you have at that time.

Support for OS X Extensions offers an advanced-technology Repair Tool in apps like Mail or TextEdit. You can now easily remove objects and repair images right in the app you are using, without even having to open Pixelmator. Just add your picture to the message or document and use the extension tool to enhance it.
The 3.3 update is rolling out now and is available for free to all existing Pixelmator users. Pixelmator can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator for Mac Updated With Redesigned Interface, OS X Yosemite Support

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is my go-to image editing app on one of my machines. It can handle PS but it is not as quick as it could be. Pixelmator is quite powerful and the price is just right. There's little to no learning curve because it just seemed quite intuitive. This update seems nice and the OS X extensions sound pretty cool.

sharbeen

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
United Arab Emirates
Pixelmator never disappoints me. Being a photographer I've started using pixelmator for most of my works.
The way they have been improving, we can some day see them capture majority photoshop market share.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
This is the first application I install on a new Mac. Every update makes it a better alternative to Photoshop. Adobe should take note, this is how it's done.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Flat transluscence FTW!

In all seriousness, Pixelmator is a great product for the price. Glad to see what they're doing.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pixelmator never disappoints me. Being a photographer I've started using pixelmator for most of my works.
The way they have been improving, we can some day see them capture majority photoshop market share.

I think they can take some of the marketshare away, but I believe PS will continue to be the standard for a very long time in a professional setting. It's a shame too because their pricing alone is absurd.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Great app, great team. And guess what - it apparently even works in Mavericks. So this is possible unlike some Apple apps that specifically receive an incompatibility update...

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I love Pixelmator but I'm disappointed the devs haven't solved the overcrowded shapes & gradients palettes problem. These palettes need to be scrollable or have categories.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
From their blog...

It keeps the black interface Pixelmator fans love

Uuuuuurgh. No. Can they please give us a regular, lighter, OS X theme already? Their UI choice is extremely questionable sometimes, and it's almost painful sometimes when working on bright images.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I definitely need to look into this. If it goes to subscription, I'll ditch Lightroom...maybe.

Edit: I pulled the trigger and purchased Pixelmator. After a while of playing around with it, it's clear this is meant as more of a Photoshop/Gimpshop replacement rather than something which is gonna replace Lightroom (which is a RAW convertor software). But, it's still a great piece of software which I will now be using to do all the stuff I used to use Gimpshop for - except Pixelmator is updated far more often and designed specifically for Mac!

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Great app, great team. And guess what - it apparently even works in Mavericks. So this is possible unlike some Apple apps that specifically receive an incompatibility update...

Are you seeing different interfaces elements in Mavericks? I updated Pixelmator but am still in Mavericks too and nothing seems to have changed at all except for a newer Pixelmator icon in the dock. :(

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
From their blog...

Uuuuuurgh. No. Can they please give us a regular, lighter, OS X theme already? Their UI choice is extremely questionable sometimes, and it's almost painful sometimes when working on bright images.

Right-click on the stuff surrounding the canvas and you can switch between black grey and white.

Fondaparinux

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
I absolutely adore Pixelmator.

Hopefully this encourages Adobe to think a little more about their pricing.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
From their blog...

!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL MY HOPE IS... gone...

I can't believe such an awesome piece of software gets ruined by a pure-black interface with incredibly small UI elements. I always find myself opening Photoshop, when in fact I really only want to get rid of Adobe products on my Mac.

Right-click on the stuff surrounding the canvas and you can switch between black grey and white.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that. It helps slightly, but it's the interface as a whole that we want gray.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
No sale? I'll wait. I have until December anyway since my Creative Cloud sub will be ending Dec. 12. Here's hoping for a Black Friday sale.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If Pixelmator had OpenEXR support and adobes depth of field filter where I could insert a depth mask it would completely replace Photoshop for my needs.

And yes, I know those are very uncommon things to need.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Sweet! Such an amazing company. Many many free updates, quality software, great pricing. They truly are one of the nicest software companies out there!

PS - I hope they are secretly working on "Vectormator" as well... :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
No sale? I'll wait. I have until December anyway since my Creative Cloud sub will be ending Dec. 12. Here's hoping for a Black Friday sale.

I didn't know Pixelmater ever goes on sale. If it was ever part of a bundle with one or two other good apps I'd probably pick it up... but I don't really need it so I've never bought it... ($30 is too much for an app that I only anticipating using once or twice a year.)

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Gonna have to try this. I did a trial of Lightroom recently and didn't love it. Plus, it's price isn't great to buy and I've no interest in 'renting' software via the cloud. At $30, this looks like a screaming good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.