Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It won't up the physical resolution of course, that's only if you believe in snake oil tricks. iOS 8 only.

But it adjusts the DPI, and there are issues with it like dialpad not scaling correctly, weather app animations broken, and some other irregularities (apple wallpapers not accessible until restoring it to native DPI) but I'm sure it will get adjusted and it's fun to play with.

It even adjusts the DPI of the apple respring logo :D

If you can't scale, after inputting x and y resolution click x resolution again before apply to make sure it takes effect and always x as smaller resolution dimension otherwise it will cause safe mode.

850x1511 on my 6 seems REALLY nice. I'm sure 5/5s users could benefit too from tasting iPhone 6 DPI nectar, and 6+ users who find the DPI too small.

Don't try 6+ resolution on 6, too small/crashes supposedly.

Also you don't need SB Flip anymore, cranking up the resolution natively enables springboard flip on phones. Interesting discovery.

this is all regurgitation discoveries found on r/jailbreak but thought I'd share the wealth.

repo is repo.bd452.com

seeing is believing:
6xUi0YL.jpg

safari and keyboard (vintagekeys) scaled:
tzzhFd8.jpg

Last edited:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Beware, though. Some tweaks perpetually safe mode you when you do this. I changed to 850x1511 on my 6 and while it took, it also caused me to get stuck in Safe Mode for all my other tweaks. (I have to admit it looked good) As this tweak modifies encrypted parameters, it's somewhat of a pain to reverse (removing the tweak doesn't restore the phone to its native resolution).

Anyway, since in Safe Mode, you can't access the tweak settings, you're stuck having to SSH into your phone and run a cycript command to restore your phone's native resolution.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Beware, though. Some tweaks perpetually safe mode you when you do this. I changed to 850x1511 on my 6 and while it took, it also caused me to get stuck in Safe Mode for all my other tweaks. (I have to admit it looked good) As this tweak modifies encrypted parameters, it's somewhat of a pain to reverse (removing the tweak doesn't restore the phone to its native resolution).

Anyway, since in Safe Mode, you can't access the tweak settings, you're stuck having to SSH into your phone and run a cycript command to restore your phone's native resolution.

What tweaks do you have installed? I put my 6 to that resolution and (fingers crossed) haven't had any problems yet.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh god. I want this SO BAD. One of my favorite things I used to like doing with my Android devices was pushing the DPI down. Even on my ol' 3.5" screen it was nice.

If only 8.1 wasn't so unstable. :( I'm on 8.1.1 and it is so much nicer.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'm not sure what tweaks caused the problem, but I wasn't going to go uninstalling all of them one by one. The only one I tried uninstalling was Rotate+ (which enables springboard rotation as well as the landscape dual-pane apps of the 6+ on the 6) since I figured it might interfere with the native rotation that kicks in, but it still didn't work after removing that.

I am using:
Rotate+
Winterboard
HideMe8
Homescreen Designer (if I had to guess, it was probably this or HideMe8 that would be the most likely culprits, but I'm not losing either at this point)
F.lux
Alkaline
Activator
Barrel (also a potential candidate)
FlipControlCenter
iWidgets
GroovyLock (though not enabled at the moment)
Forecast
Iconomatic
BytaFont 2
ClassicDock

cheenofly

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Also for those who are using Upscale, if there are a few apps that aren't adjusting to its new resolution. Download the tweak "ForceGoodFit" and enable all the apps such as Messages, Safari, Mail, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. Upscale is probably by far one of the top greatest tweaks made.

I'm on a iPhone 5S using the iPhone 6 resolution. No issues, bugs, or crashes.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Ryan Petrich also released a similar tweak called LittleBrother that also includes the 6+ rotation features. It doesn't play with Homescreen Designer (that was the tweak that messed up upscale) and it has some bugs still, but should be great.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Which resolution are you using for your 6? 850 x 1511 seems to be popular, but still a touch too small.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
OK. So I removed homescreen designer for the moment (it is the safe mode culprit) and have it set now to 827x1470, which seems to be a great sweet spot. It doesn't allow springboard rotation (which I'm glad of because that kills all widgets) but does enable native iPhone 6+ apps in mail, messages, calendar and Safari (real tabs in landscape!) someone on reddit noted that at 828, some odd things start happening in apps that doesn't happen at 827, so I'm sticking there. It's a really nice balance.

Really enjoying this, and less buggy than LittleBrother.

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
So I tried Upscale on my 6+ and for me, it made everything too big.

Uninstalled Upscale and it has left everything scaled too big.
How do I get my old resolution back?

Thanks.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
So I tried Upscale on my 6+ and for me, it made everything too big.

Uninstalled Upscale and it has left everything scaled too big.
How do I get my old resolution back?

Thanks.

Install it back then choose the 6 Plus preset then uninstall again.

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Install it back then choose the 6 Plus preset then uninstall again.

Did that again.
Still looks like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415374530.335365.jpg

Reinstalled and set to custom - 1920 x 1080.
Much better but still a bit big.

Does Upscale modify system files?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Anyone experiencing massive battery drain since installing this? I'm dropping like 1% per minute when the phone is active.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
Quick question. I have upscale installed on my 5 and I have it on the 6+ setting. If I was to restore my iPhone without setting it back to the 5 resolution, would restoring it set it back to the default resolution or would it still be on the 6+ resolution? Basically: does restoring in iTunes set back the default resolution? Thanks!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
But it adjusts the DPI

No, it does not. DPI stands for dots per inch (I'm assuming you mean PPI, which is pixels per inch. DPI is used in analogue situations such as printing pictures or newspaper cartoons...) and this tweak obviously does not do that. It changes the resolution rendered by the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.