Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burnsranch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I have upgrading my technology to apple. I have Imac late 2012 with I7 I for my main computer. I do a lot of video work on it, but now am migrating to AppleTV and sharing videos. My Wireless network is a time Capsule, I think I will hang my usb drives off off. I have yet to figure out how that is going to work.

It looks like the easiest way to manage my Video Libraries is to set up a different account for my different Categories. Maybe one for music and one for photos and not share the main iTunes account.

I still am not sure about which sharing method to use between home sharing and sharing the library. I have been just getting the physical network line out and the sharing, while it works, is not real stable
I have limited internet bandwidth so would like to keep all of my sharing as local as possible.

Any general guidelines or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Apple TV requires HomeSharing - not Shared Library.

Putting your media on a NAS (which the TimeCapsule is ) is possible, but I personally found it not worth the trouble. After migrating all music and Video for iTunes to a NAS and using it for a year, I moved everything bask to Direct Attached (FW800) drives. This is less cool, but easier and more stable.

The thing is, with ATV, you need a computer running iTunes anyway - the ATV will not read your media directly from the TimeCapsule - it has to get it from your computer running iTunes. Many NAS vendors advertise a feature called "iTunes Server" - This is not what you want it to be. It just creates a shared library that iTunes can see - it is not HomeSharing and ATV will not use it directly.

I'm not sure about photos, but I would expect them to have similar issues.

I don't think you would really want a different library for different media types. You might want to manage your own library (Turn off the preference setting to copy files to iTunes default locations) and put different files on different volumes. Putting your music, videos and pictures on three separate volumes (drives) might make sense, but I think you would want to have a single iTunes Library managing all of them so that you don't have to keep switching libraries on the ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.