Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I bought an iPad 3 because of the introduction of a retina display and my intention to use it as a simple note taking device for classes (via solar powered blue tooth keyboard), read articles and newspapers, and gaming.
It got a lot of use and was very handy during my business trips.
my regular phone was the iphone 4

now comes the iPhone 6 plus which I had for almost 3 weeks.
since then my iPad hardly has any use now and is locked away in a drawer.
I have no issues with the 6 plus' size. the bigger screen makes it easy to read online news as well being good enough for gaming.
it's certainly not big enough to be used reading journal articles..but to be quite frank, I never fully adjusted to reading it on a screen. I still prefer physical paper as I can shift through the pages quickly to find what I want. I think it worsened now that I have my own staff and free printing privileges (yes I should save the trees)..

and now for business trips, I start carrying an ultrabook which is as light as an iPad+ keyboard combo, but offers far more productivity.
I think I found the best combo for myself. phablet, ultrabook/mba, and large desktop

have any of you seen your iPad use declining?

Lashae

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I basically use my iPad Air as a TV, I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube, I set it on the desk in my bedroom and all I do is watch video on it.

My Mini Retina... well, I haven't found a place for it yet. I haven't used it since I got my 6 Plus, It just kind of sits there. Hopefully I can find a way to use it soon.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Since I've only had my 6+ for 2 days now, the novelty hasn't worn off yet. I think I'll go back to using my mini as usual for web browsing and email with in the next week. I think I spend about 3 hours at night on the mini. The 6+ gets used more when I probably would not have picked up my mini. Quick social media and email checks on the plus.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
My iPad has become a piece of junk thanks to iOS 8. If not for that, I'd still use it all the time. That big screen really is the best when it's available.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I haven't used my Air in over two weeks. So far the 6 plus has taken over. I use it for everything, Pages, Safari, Netflix, HBO, mail, etc.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
iPad mostly videos and a few games but now I leave it at home as I can do all I need on my 6+ on the go.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
same thing i did with it before. i use it while at home. why would i use a 5.5 inch screen when i can use a 10 inch screen?

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I think if I had an iPad mini I wouldn't feel the need to use it as much vs the iP6+ but I have an iPad 4 and the retina screen and size is much better for reading comics, web and netflix than my phone.

Cavmclaren

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
Atlanta
Agreed with above.

having the plus doesnt change my ipad use at all its just a phone to me like all previous iphones. I guess if you have small hands the plus can seem like a tablet but it doesnt remind me of a tablet at all.

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
iPad-Cutting-Board.jpg

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have the iPhone 6, rMini and Air 2. The new Air is my favorite as I prefer the larger screen and I use that at home. The iPhone is used for calls and quick checks of e-mail, weather, etc. I take the rMini out with me and use that for web browsing or reading. They are all loved and will stay.

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
The other half uses it more than me now (iPad 2). iOS8 has slowed it down sufficiently that I prefer the browsing experience on the 6+. I'm sure if I got an Air 2 that would be different though.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I picked up the iPad Mini 2 just the other day. Used it for maybe a few hours and I was back to using my phone. The iPhone 6 plus is much easier to hold than the iPad. I think I might just resell it for good instead of just keeping it.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Since I got an Air 2 I've been using it more than ever. I use it as a second screen for my Macbook, to stream video, play games, it's great!

I use a messenger bag and the iPad goes with me just about everywhere the 6 Plus goes with me. It also helps that it has LTE, so it's much more useful out in the world.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm using my retina mini to read this forum. I can web browse or read Ebooks comfortably on both devices. Text, too. It's nice to have both because I always have something to use when the other one is charging.

I did think I'd find my Retina mini redundant but that has not proven to be the case for me.

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
I definitely find myself using it considerably less. However, there are times when you want the larger screen. Use it so little that it typically goes a week+ without a charge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.