Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
HI, my Iphone was stolen and this got me thinking about iCloud and how it works.

Just to feel safe as I never got the phone back, I bought a new phone and created a new apple id and activated a new iCloud on it.

But first i logged in to my old iCloud using my old apple id that was on the stolen phone. I erased all backups using manage storage under iCloud back up. I deleted everything I could think of. But somehow after a few months when I again logged in on my old account, some stuff showed, like notes and stuff that was originally on my ipad using that old account.

Is there a way to see what files and info apple really stores and still have on their servers for my iCloud account? And what is the best way to completely wipe it forever?

To me the whole iCloud experience feels rather buggy, and I'm not really sure what´s gonna show up when I log in to my iCloud account, could be old photo roll stuff or notes or what ever. But It does feel a big buggy?

I was thinking that if i delete my old apple id completely maybe then all data is erased from apples servers? But then I would like to keep my old iCloud mail address, is that possible, to delete an apple id but keep the @icloud.com mail?

Any thoughts or links to information regarding this would be much appreciated.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
To my knowledge Apple does not delete iCloud accounts. You also cannot transfer email addresses or aliases from one iCloud account to another. If you delete an alias, it's gone forever.

I'd recommend to change the password and keep using the old account if you want to continue using the iCloud email address.

To delete stored notes etc., the best way is to delete the iCloud account on *all* your iOS devices (and log out from iCloud on any Macs/PCs if applicable), then delete the information on the icloud.com web page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.