Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
In the first weeks, I had a series of problems with png pictures which failed to load. I don't use png, so that was obviously the software. It would pass on the second attempt to publish the site.

Now, with iWeb 1.0.1, I suddenly have this "unknown error", and I have No Idea what to change. I tried to re-save pages, restart the software, the computer (well, yes, the Microsoft solution), repair permissions, call the Pope.

Basically, I'm stuck, unless I want to erase one by one the last items I wanted to post, maybe even erase all my sites. :(

Anyone with a solution ? (Despite buying another software).

Thanks,
Arnaud.

(PS: My system - iMac G5 1.8GHz 20", 2Gb/800Gb, OSX 10.4.5, iWeb 1.0.1, ADSL connection - Should be enough !)

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I've got the same problem. There seems to be widespread denial about this publishing problem that has only been introduced in iWeb 1.0.1. But many people have it - tt's all over the discussion forums at Apple.

I think it has something to do with them changing the way images are stored in iWeb. In version 1.0 they were converted to .PNGs but this takes up a lot of space (good quality though) and so now they seem to stay in JPEG format unless you have plenty of fancy shadows in them. Unfortunately though, for all but the most simple of sites, this means that websites built in 1.0 don't really seem compatible in 1.0.1. Many readers on the forums at Apple have had to cut their losses, delete their sites and build from scratch in 1.0.1. They have managed to publish doing it that way.

There's no way I'm doing that though - my site is 127MB in size and has taken a lot of hard work to make (which is a problem when I want to upload the entire thing on my 128k upload speeds!). I hate the way that iWeb doesn't seem to allow you to save your sites so I've got no way to back it up. My iLife '06 install DVD is back in the post towards me (my brother had it) and I'm going to reinstall 1.0 as soon as it arrives but I'm worried that I'm going to lose my site in the process.

But, like you, and many others, 1.0.1 is useless to me in its current form.

Some people have got it to work by trying to work out which page is the offending one and changing the order by sticking it at the top. Alas, that hasn't worked for me. You could also try holding down the option (alt) key and selecting "Publish ALL" from the menu. That solution has worked for some people too. But not me.

I'm hoping Apple will release a 1.0.2 fix soon because this problem is widespread. And I currently have no site or means of getting it up at the moment.... :mad:

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Hi, johnnyjibbs,

Thanks for the extensive explanations. I feel comforted (the way a Titanic passenger felt comforted knowing he wouldn't drown alone).

Time to go to work for me, but I'll try some of your suggestions tonight. Just like you, though, I don't plan to erase the whole site...

You mentioned an impossibility to save the site: what about exporting it to a folder, i.e., the other "publishing" option from iWeb. I haven't tried, don't know if it goes beyond the "publish error".
It might also be possible to update or modify directly from your iDisk, if you have it up on your desktop. But this is too much time wasting for me, pretty much the opposite of why I got iLife. If I wanted more options under the hood, I'd use Dreamweaver...

Thanks,
Arnaud.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Addendum - there is little I can follow of the inner workings of iWeb, but the console gives, before the "publish error" :

2006-02-21 14:02:49.213 iWeb[546] *** -[ADReference size]: selector not recognized [self = 0x8aee430]

Doesn't really help me... Any hint for anybody else ?

A.

PS: Tried the "publish all" option, didn't work out either; tried to "publish to folder", same error. Still looking for other options. Maybe the pages created under iWeb 1.0 and modified under 1.0.1 ?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I've still had no luck. I'm going to try changing every page a little (so that all have been modified under 1.0.1) and try to publish again (publish all doesn't work for me either). If it still doesn't work, I'm going to have to take the plunge and revert... the 1.0 install discs are by my side... AND pray that it doesn't delete my site in the process!

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Good luck. ;)

I'll wait for 1.0.2, and my family will wait for the pictures of my son... :(

Anyway, reverting to 1.0 seems the good trick to do, I just don't feel like getting too geeky on that one. Just backup before you go !

A.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Arnaud said:
Good luck. ;)

I'll wait for 1.0.2, and my family will wait for the pictures of my son... :(

Anyway, reverting to 1.0 seems the good trick to do, I just don't feel like getting too geeky on that one. Just backup before you go !

A.
I'm uploading my website now. I spotlighted iWeb and found a 900MB file in the application support folder names "Domain" that had to be my iWeb 'document'. I dragged a copy to the desktop before beginning. I then renamed iWeb to 1.0.1 and reinstalled 1.0. (Funnily enough, the installer caused the dock to disappear for good - only a restart would bring it back).

iWeb 1.0 appears to recognise my website and it has survived intact. It's now publishing, but it will probably be publishing for some time to come (as I deleted my whole site from the iDisk).

UPDATE: My website's back online with iWeb 1.0. Will not upgrade until 1.0.2 (taken with a pinch of salt!)

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Wow, I am about to need to update my brother's website for him. I bet this is going to bite me in the butt. Dang it, Apple.:(

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
johnnyjibbs said:
I'm uploading my website now. I spotlighted iWeb and found a 900MB file in the application support folder names "Domain" that had to be my iWeb 'document'. I dragged a copy to the desktop before beginning. I then renamed iWeb to 1.0.1 and reinstalled 1.0. (Funnily enough, the installer caused the dock to disappear for good - only a restart would bring it back).

iWeb 1.0 appears to recognise my website and it has survived intact. It's now publishing, but it will probably be publishing for some time to come (as I deleted my whole site from the iDisk).

UPDATE: My website's back online with iWeb 1.0. Will not upgrade until 1.0.2 (taken with a pinch of salt!)

Good, I'm glad it worked :)

Thanks for the explanations, I'll try it when I've got time (and certainly before 1.0.2...) :D

A.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Arnaud said:
Good, I'm glad it worked :)

Thanks for the explanations, I'll try it when I've got time (and certainly before 1.0.2...) :D

A.
It turns out I jumped for joy too soon. Now it won't publish in 1.0 either (probably because part of it has been upgraded to 1.0.1!!!!) But instead of an unknown error it told me that a certain pic was corrupt and I replaced that photo. Then I got the "Problems getting iDisk quota" message which is documented but one that I have never had before.

Now I might upgrade back to 1.0.1 and see if it works now that jpeg file has been uncorrupted!!!... Talk about Back to the Future!!!!

I'll let you know how I get on... :(

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
johnnyjibbs said:
It turns out I jumped for joy too soon. Now it won't publish in 1.0 either (probably because part of it has been upgraded to 1.0.1!!!!) But instead of an unknown error it told me that a certain pic was corrupt and I replaced that photo. Then I got the "Problems getting iDisk quota" message which is documented but one that I have never had before.

Now I might upgrade back to 1.0.1 and see if it works now that jpeg file has been uncorrupted!!!... Talk about Back to the Future!!!!

I'll let you know how I get on... :(

Little of the same here. Got back to 1.0, following your tracks, and I get different publish errors, each time a different file (.jpg or .png). Only difference is to have a name instead of "unknown error".

Nicely enough, Apple posted a blog about the possibilities of iWeb 1.0.1 on mac.com - but no comment about publishing problems... :(

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
UGH, I think I am going to put this off as long as I can. Maybe Apple will come out with a fix before I absolutely have to do this.....:(

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
lilstewart92 said:
is this uploading in every way? or just to .mac?

With 1.0.1, both uploads to .mac or a folder would fail for "unknown errors".

As of now: on the fourth attempt, my site got uploaded successfully.
(This time, I uploaded "ALL site").

Better, but still to random to me. It's like, push the button and pray. :(

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I've got mine to publish now. It still wouldn't work with 1.0.1 (I have both versions on my machine, having renamed 1.0.1 app as "iWeb 1.0.1"). They both load the website but I had problems.

I deleted the entire site off the iDisk (which generally causes the Finder to crash as the iWeb directory gets reincarnated as soon as you delete it). Then I still kept getting unknown errors with 1.0.1 but got it to publish in 1.0.

I'm now on 1.0 again until this is fixed.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
johnnyjibbs said:
I've got mine to publish now. It still wouldn't work with 1.0.1 (I have both versions on my machine, having renamed 1.0.1 app as "iWeb 1.0.1"). They both load the website but I had problems.

I deleted the entire site off the iDisk (which generally causes the Finder to crash as the iWeb directory gets reincarnated as soon as you delete it). Then I still kept getting unknown errors with 1.0.1 but got it to publish in 1.0.

I'm now on 1.0 again until this is fixed.

Worst thing is, these errors are random (due to .png and .jpg pictures ?), and the bigger your site, the bigger your chances to fail the upload :mad:

It takes something like 30mn for an upload - or more: I don't wait for the end anymore, I just go to bed...

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
I nuked my photo galleries. The site updates fine, now. Guess I'll have to rebuild them with 1.0.1.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Aeolius said:
I nuked my photo galleries. The site updates fine, now. Guess I'll have to rebuild them with 1.0.1.

Maybe starting from scratch is good indeed in 1.0.1. I think 1.0.1 didn't re-convert the pages designed in 1.0, so that any improvement in the size of the pictures' files from 1.0.1 wasn't available anyway for older pages.

I still don't feel too much like re-designing everything...

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
I too was having problems when it came to publishing my site to .Mac. I kept on trying over and over, was also having problems with the iDisk so I couldn't even upload manually

Anyway I have just gone through all the pages and removed the reflection effect on all the pictures for the site. Now when I press Publish the thing actually works and I'm uploading the pages now. There does seem to be something up with this PNG and JPEG thing

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
johnnyjibbs said:
I hate the way that iWeb doesn't seem to allow you to save your sites so I've got no way to back it up.

Have you saved the Domain.sites file in the iWeb Application Support folder? I think this contains all the info you need. If you 'show package contents' you can extract images, code, etc. I think this might help.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Darwin said:
I too was having problems when it came to publishing my site to .Mac. I kept on trying over and over, was also having problems with the iDisk so I couldn't even upload manually

Anyway I have just gone through all the pages and removed the reflection effect on all the pictures for the site. Now when I press Publish the thing actually works and I'm uploading the pages now. There does seem to be something up with this PNG and JPEG thing

Mmm... Maybe i'll give that a try later ! Thanks.

A.

HHB

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2007
Norway
This worked for me...

I had the same problem with iWeb 1.1.2. I tried everything. resetting the .plist, changing the language, searching through all iWeb related folders trying to find the "shapeimage_9_link_1.png" file (which didn't exist).

Then I went through the changes I made, and it seems that iWeb acted up when I had a cropped picture (.pdf) inside a shape. I simply moved the picture and text out of the shape and into a text box, and deleted the shape.

After that, it published without any problems.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
I had the same problem with iWeb 1.1.2. ... After that, it published without any problems.

Uh, my last comment being from April 2006, I must say that quite some things have changed - for example the version of iWeb... I came back to using iWeb (1.1.2) last week, and it published everything without a problem, even updating the pictures of my previous (problematic) sites.

So, so far, all fine.

Although I must say the final website is really not snappy, it can take quite an (uncomfortable) before the pictures are displayed, on a picture page or within a diaporama. I compared with other servers with websites containing pictures. Maybe because i'm in Europe, and the .Mac servers are in the US?

nainesh

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2007
re unknown error

I've had the same problem as many of you have mentioned. 'Unknown Error...'. Since converting some of my scanned negatives which were originally saved as .bmp files to jpegs the problem seems to have disappeared. Unsupported format??

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I am currently getting some more publishing errors, they seem to appear randomly on some image that I put into the website. Mind you, they are jpgs, so... I dont know what is wrong.

The file that is referenced as the cause of the publishing error is always one of my jpegs, but as I said... random... :confused:

What can I do? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.