Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A growing number of Nest owners are reporting issues with the latest version the Nest Mobile app [Direct Link] that was released on Friday. According to posts on Nest forums, the 4.4.0 version of the app crashes immediately on launch for many users who are running iOS 8.x. This glitch reportedly is affecting recent iPhone models including the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5.
I just downloaded the update to the Nest Mobile App for iOS (version 4.4.0) and the App Crashes immediately upon launch. I am running the latest version of iOS (8.1) on my iPhone 5s. I had no issues with the previous version of the Nest app. I tried to delete the app and reinstall it but it still crashes when launched.

Fortunately, I still had the previous version of Nest Mobile in iTunes on my PC and was able to copy it over to my iPhone. -Nest forum member Columbus_George.
The Nest 4.4.0 update included a handful of small improvements, such as expanded weather and time zone support and improved thermometer history. Users who are experiencing the crashing glitch can restore the previous 4.3.1 version of the app from their iTunes app library.

nest_thermostat_iphone_app-500x356.jpg
Founded by former Apple engineers Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers, Nest Labs was acquired by Google in a $3.2 billion deal that closed earlier this year. Under Google's guidance, Nest acquired video-monitoring and security startup Dropcam and opened its API to third-party products and services.

Update: Nest's Tony Fadell confirmed via Twitter that the company is aware of the issue and working on a fix. The Nest Mobile app also has been removed temporarily from the iOS App Store.

Update 2 5:00 PM PT: The Nest Mobile app has been updated to version 4.4.1 and returned to the App Store.

Article Link: Growing Number of Users Report Crashing Issue with Latest Nest for iOS Update [Updated]

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
This is expected. You don't sell out to Google because you care about the quality of your product.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
It's a good thing people don't use thist Nest thing for any thing really important. :p

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Jailbroken iPhone 6 running Upscale at 828x1472 resolution and it runs fine. No crashes or issues of any kind.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Apart from the very poor search options, this is the next thing I hate most about the App Store. When things go wrong it’s difficult to get the last version(s).

CynanX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Working fine on my iPhone 5. Could it also be related to the new Nest firmware? I'm still on 4.2.5.

FlyersPh9

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
It's a good thing people don't use thist Nest thing for any thing really important. :p

Just because the Nest App is crashing doesn't mean that the actual Nest is no longer functioning. It merely means you can't connect to the thermostat remotely. If you NEED to connect remotely immediately, roll back to the last version. Otherwise, just wait a couple of days and I'm sure they'll roll out a fix.

I feel it's important to say that I am a Nest owner and that I'm not upset. It'll be fixed soon enough.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
6 Plus / 8.1 working fine, 2 Nests at home, app seems fully functional and has native support for the larger screen.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Bummer, but will be fixed in an update shortly in all likelihood.

This article is screaming "take free shots at a Google product!" There are a lot of apps that have issues, but they don't get their own article here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.