Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Okay everybody, please sound off on what Display you use for editing your photos so you have somewhat reliable colors. I am trying to establish a side business in portrait photography and currently am changing from a Macbook Pro to Mac Mini, which means I need a display.

I by no means need a professional quality display, it's not in the budget. I'd like to spend less than $300. I've considered the Acer238 and Dell2414H. What do you guys have and would you recommend them? My biggest concern is decent color representation, which means I plan to buy a calibration tool as well.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
If you are going to go to the trouble of calibrating it I would suggest a monitor that covers the Adobe color space. sRGB just doesn't cut it.

Dell makes some good mid range displays but you will need to check the specs and they might push your budget a little.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I can recommend Dell IPS screens and the Color Munki calibration tool, I use them both daily.

Any screen is improved by using a hardware calibration device imo, and the Dell IPS monitors seem to be a great balance between quality and price.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I can recommend Dell IPS screens and the Color Munki calibration tool, I use them both daily.

Any screen is improved by using a hardware calibration device imo, and the Dell IPS monitors seem to be a great balance between quality and price.

You calibrate daily? If your monitor needs that, then it's faulty.

I use a NEC Spectraview 241. Make sure any monitor you buy needs to be an IPS panel and ideally Adobe colour space.
I use an i1 display Pro to calibrate once a month. Because I have a pro monitor, I can acsess the LUT to calibrate rather than just the graphic cards.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK

I use a NEC Spectraview 241. Make sure any monitor you buy needs to be an IPS panel and ideally Adobe colour space.
I use an i1 display Pro to calibrate once a month. Because I have a pro monitor, I can acsess the LUT to calibrate rather than just the graphic cards.

Dammit, the written word not coming across as intended and my poor phrasing...

Like you I do a full calibration once a month, to be honest I have never noticed a change in the screen between calibrations, although I'm sure throughout the life of the screen thus far it would have changed if I were to load up the very first profile from a when it was new.

I have the profile software running daily though, and occasionally use the ambient light monitoring feature on the Color Munki - I'm not a massive fan of it (personal preference and all that), but it does have its uses.

The Spectraview is an amazing screen.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

We both use the same monitor and of all the equipment I have bought in the last few years, I consider this one my best investment.

I calibrate about every 4 weeks and though maybe not necessary, I let the monitor "warm up" for 20 minutes first then calibrate.

As most are finding out, there is a difference between calibrating a monitor and "calibrating" via profile. I am sure the OP will be calibrating via profile and the Color Munki is not a bad way to go as far as a tool to create the profile or perhaps a competitor product like Spyder (I think Munki is better but that's another conversation unto itself).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Dammit, the written word not coming across as intended and my poor phrasing...

Like you I do a full calibration once a month, to be honest I have never noticed a change in the screen between calibrations, although I'm sure throughout the life of the screen thus far it would have changed if I were to load up the very first profile from a when it was new.

I have the profile software running daily though, and occasionally use the ambient light monitoring feature on the Color Munki - I'm not a massive fan of it (personal preference and all that), but it does have its uses.

The Spectraview is an amazing screen.

Best to turn off all the ambient light settings and just control your lighting.

Chuck Rodent

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
I'm using dual NEC PA271 with the Spyder 4 Pro calibrator. This morning I recalibrated them and one had drifted slightly to a higher color temperature, just barely noticeable when both screens were showing white.

If you are doing portraits for prints, color match between prints and screen will be important. The light under which you display the prints will affect the color warmth of the prints, as compared to your monitor. Best to do a couple of test prints and view them under the selected lights before final, and you will get a feel for the adjustments on your monitor.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
got three of these

excellent product with good color renditions by default + cool design + within your budget.

LG 27MP75HM-P 27'' IPS LED

on a side note, I've been an LG kinda guy for the past decade, none out of the 10+ monitors & TVs have let me down. (review)

I think the NEC Spectraview 241 needs a 10bit gpu card to operate at its full strengths such a quadros

Attachments

• PER.170186.jpg
    PER.170186.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7435.jpg
    IMG_7435.jpg
    912.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Okay everybody, please sound off on what Display you use for editing your photos

I have a Dell u3011 connected to a Mac Pro, soon to be replaced by a 27" 5k iMac, for the last few years the Dell has served well, left at factory settings, lowered contrast, then calibrated with a spyder 4 Pro, colours are very good, profiled across my system through to print, I use adobe RGB from my 5d & 6d through to printing client & Personal projects.

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
I have a Dell u3011 connected to a Mac Pro, soon to be replaced by a 27" 5k iMac, for the last few years the Dell has served well, left at factory settings, lowered contrast, then calibrated with a spyder 4 Pro, colours are very good, profiled across my system through to print, I use adobe RGB from my 5d & 6d through to printing client & Personal projects.

Thanks. I'd love to get the u3011, but it's a bit outside of my budget, I am though really considering it's smaller sibling the u2312 or u2415. Thanks for your input.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
got three of these

excellent product with good color renditions by default + cool design + within your budget.

LG 27MP75HM-P 27'' IPS LED

on a side note, I've been an LG kinda guy for the past decade, none out of the 10+ monitors & TVs have let me down. (review)

I think the NEC Spectraview 241 needs a 10bit gpu card to operate at its full strengths such a quadros

A lot of them are like that, but it's not necessarily a quadro card that is required for 10 bit support. Each of these vendors has a specific list of supported/tested gpus. You would want to check that list against anything where you want the software to take advantage of those features. Some of Adobe's applications could only do this with specific cards, the earliest of which were a couple specific firepro cards. Right now there isn't any support for this on OSX, and it doesn't seem like a high priority for Apple. You're definitely looking at the Windows side to obtain that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.