Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

293409_larger.png
Developer Ustwo's popular mobile puzzle game, Monument Valley, will be receiving a significant update next week that finally adds additional content to the game, reports TechCrunch. The developer confirmed new levels were in the works back in April, a few weeks after the game initially launched.

The original game was released earlier this year and became a big player in the iOS and Android mobile gaming space, despite its brief length. The Forgotten Shores expansion, which will be available as an in-app purchase, is rumored to double the content of the game.

The November 13th update will focus on quality over quantity, according to Ustwo. Not much else is known about Forgotten Shores at this point, including a potential price point, but Ustwo did hint that the expansion would introduce new architectural styles into the game, and even begin to incorporate "landscapes."

The original Monument Valley game can be downloaded from the App Store for $3.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Monument Valley Expansion 'Forgotten Shores' Coming to iOS November 13

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Great game! Look forward to it and hopefully it can help ease the disappointment that was yesterday's release of The Sailors Dream-a game I was really looking forward too, but ended up being ultra-meh.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Loved the original game but if they're going to release the expansion as an IAP that's the same price as the game itself, why not release it as a stand-alone game, like a sequel?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
These guys have a great home run. If they haven't figured it out, they are one of if not the first game company to introduce interactive Esherism into a game where it is not overwhelming nor confusing to the mass public. The simple geometries and subtile new age soundtrack gives it broad appeal.

If they are managing this right, the hundered or so "experts" that showed up in their lobby were smiled and nodded away keeping their vision pure. Getting an expansion pack as an in-app purchase is a good move.

Next move is to franchise this environment. Please, do NOT hire a Hollywood / SoCal "expert." Franchising is simpler than you think and you can do it yourself with a handful of new college graduates. There is plenty source material on franchising on-line. Start off with the clothing, then the figures, port to other platforms, even a comic series on-line.

Keep away anyone that tries to use the platform for their political agenda (be it left or right) and don't let anyone persuade you "owe society" for your success by paying into a charity they happen to "manage." Keep a hunk of cash to last you years as games are like pop music, the hits are not regularly schduled.

Remeber what got you to where you are, keep those ethics and work practices and you'll all be fine.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Loved the original game but if they're going to release the expansion as an IAP that's the same price as the game itself, why not release it as a stand-alone game, like a sequel?

Where did it say it would cost the same as the game?

I think it's right they release it as an IAP and not as a sequel. Anyway, can't wait to play the eight new levels!

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
My personal preference is to have one app/game installed. I'm sure there are more arguments for either side to be made, but that's where I land on the issue.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
These guys have a great home run. If they haven't figured it out, they are one of if not the first game company to introduce interactive Esherism into a game where it is not overwhelming nor confusing to the mass public. The simple geometries and subtile new age soundtrack gives it broad appeal.

If they are managing this right, the hundered or so "experts" that showed up in their lobby were smiled and nodded away keeping their vision pure. Getting an expansion pack as an in-app purchase is a good move.

Next move is to franchise this environment. Please, do NOT hire a Hollywood / SoCal "expert." Franchising is simpler than you think and you can do it yourself with a handful of new college graduates. There is plenty source material on franchising on-line. Start off with the clothing, then the figures, port to other platforms, even a comic series on-line.

Keep away anyone that tries to use the platform for their political agenda (be it left or right) and don't let anyone persuade you "owe society" for your success by paying into a charity they happen to "manage." Keep a hunk of cash to last you years as games are like pop music, the hits are not regularly schduled.

Remeber what got you to where you are, keep those ethics and work practices and you'll all be fine.

Who are you?

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011

I don't care how it is released. I'll pay another $4.99 or whatever it was for the new levels. This is one of the only iOS games I recall bringing a true smile to my face.

maxmaut

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
Great game! Look forward to it and hopefully it can help ease the disappointment that was yesterday's release of The Sailors Dream-a game I was really looking forward too, but ended up being ultra-meh.

Sailor's dream ultra-meh? I am playing it right now, and it's awesome. Yes, it's different but it doesn't mean it's bad, right?

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Sailor's dream ultra-meh? I am playing it right now, and it's awesome. Yes, it's different but it doesn't mean it's bad, right?

Passive gameplay, uninspired story. Wanted to love it. It's not really a game, is it? It's more of a story that's presented well, but ultimately that isn't that interesting. Have you played their other games, Device 6 or even better, Year Walk? They are capable of different and stunning.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'll pass.

Not that I didn't like the game, it had beautiful visuals and a great storyline. It just wasn't something I'd play again though.

And I say that as someone who bought it for two platforms and did end up playing it again.

A third time? No thank you. I'm so over it now.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
To my taste, this game appeals on several levels: it's creative, intelligent, challenging and aesthetically pleasing both on the visual and on the acoustic levels). One of the most pleasurable games I played since Zen Bound, back in the day.

I can hardly wait for this expansion.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I also played it twice and although I like it I doubt I will pay for an expansion. I was hoping they would release more levels for free.

I'll pass.

Not that I didn't like the game, it had beautiful visuals and a great storyline. It just wasn't something I'd play again though.

And I say that as someone who bought it for two platforms and did end up playing it again.

A third time? No thank you. I'm so over it now.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I also played it twice and although I like it I doubt I will pay for an expansion. I was hoping they would release more levels for free.

I had thought the same based on previous comments from the developers, but going back and rereading them it seems they never stated they'd be free to current customers, it was just my impression. Given the brevity of the game I'd hoped that would be the case, but I'm not terribly surprised. A few of the levels were downright striking and left me wondering how long it took them to conceive and implement.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
It's not free to custys, it's 1.99. It's pretty fun though, I only completed the first level but it is pretty different compared to the previous ones.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
The free Monument Valley updated chapters is available today in the App Store if you paid for the original game.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.PNG
    IMG_0195.PNG
    108.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
The new chapters show in the App Store as an update but when you open the app , the new chapters turn out to be an in app purchase. $1.99 is not bad for this game but they have been a bit sneaky about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.