Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
I saw a very clean 400Mz model at a thrift store, it had an ADC/VGA Rage card which leads me to believe it is a GigE. No HD, sleds were all there, Zip drive, and rainbowish power cord. 2 sticks of ram. I didn't try to boot it, couldn't find a compatable monitor. $35, but I resisted.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If it has an ADC card(and the appropriate power contacts on the board for it), as well as 4 ram slots and 3 PCI slots it's a Gigabit Ethernet.

If it has the ADC card, but 3 RAM slots and 4 PCI slots, it's a Digital Audio.

If it has 4 RAM slots, 3 PCI slots, an AGP slot, but no support for ADC it's a Sawtooth.

I'd probably grab it for $35, but then I'm sucker for this age PowerMac.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
That doesn't seem like too good of a deal there, 2 sticks of ram => possibly 512mb ram?, no HDD I would pass on it myself considering its a 400mHz model!
In regard to "testing it", if a mac bongs it's going to be working alright most of the time.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I have that model GigE and it's a fun little machine. I can't believe how much it can still do, it even plays video well. I got mine out of a garbage bin, lol.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I went back and it was gone. I had talked myself into getting it....

Shoot. Well you can normally find one cheap or free when they do pop up. Nobody realizes they can still do a lot of stuff very well, they just think they're old and slow, which to some extent they are but they're also cool old beasts.

Take a look at Everymac.com's Power Mac page, it's the easiest way to get an idea of what specs each had, what can be upgraded, etc. if you do run into something again. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html

Best wishes.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I have that model GigE and it's a fun little machine. I can't believe how much it can still do, it even plays video well. I got mine out of a garbage bin, lol.

Hehe, depends on what kind of video ;)

...(and partly on the player and the graphics card).

Aren't they going for arround 20,- on Ebay all the time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.