Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As forecasted, the third calendar quarter of 2014 was a stellar quarter for Mac shipments, with Apple gaining ground on its competitors in the US. According to IDC's quarterly PC tracker (via Re/code), Apple reached its highest PC market share ever reported, a metric that accounts only for Mac shipments and does not include the iPad.

The company gained ground with 13.4 percent of the US PC market, edging out Lenovo (10.7 percent) to grab the number three spot behind HP (27.7 percent) and Dell (24 percent). Shipments in the US climbed to more than 2.26 million in the third calendar quarter of 2014.

idc-worldwide-q32014.png
Globally, Apple's market share climbed 5.7 percent year over year, with the company selling a record-breaking 5.5 million units in the just ending quarter. Apple now sits in the number five spot when it comes to global PC shipments, behind Lenovo, HP, Dell and Acer.

Apple refreshed its MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro earlier this year with updated processors and other minor improvements. The company also dropped prices on some models and heavily promoted the desktops during the back-to-school season with a $100 gift card along with a discounted purchase price for both students and educators.

Next year may see even stronger Mac sales as Apple prepares to update its Mac lineup with Intel's Broadwell processors. A 12-inch MacBook with an ultra thin chassis, a Retina display, and an Intel Core M chip may be one of the first Broadwell machines to ship in the new year.

Article Link: Apple Grabs Record US PC Market Share On Strong Mac Sales in Q3 2014

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
I'm surprised HP is still as high as it is. Didn't they say they were selling off their PC division of the company to someone else so they could focus on servers and enterprise customers?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Is there a way Apple can catch up past the others?

Yes, but it's not what Apple wants to do.

These lists count how many computers are sold. Whether the computer is £200 or £2,000 doesn't make a difference, it's one computer. The new Retina iMac starts at £1,999 ($2,499). Apple isn't going to sell gazillions of them. But someone else selling £200 computers must sell ten for every Retina iMac to make the same revenue.

Apple could easily build cheaper computers and sell lots of them. So what good would that do them? None at all.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
They're very stubborn with their prices so they won't be able to expand much.

They have no reason to want the market share that comes from enterprise. I just worked from the customer side on a large enterprise purchase with one of their competitors on new PCs, and they ended up making almost no money on the hardware.

They make a good, reliable product, offer great service, and have a very happy customer base. If they started competing on price alone they would not only lose margins on the cheap stuff, which will have to come from somewhere, (either quality of build, quality of design or after sale service) but their more expensive stuff with higher profit margins would stop selling, too.

If Apple can stay in the 15-25% US market share range they will do just fine.

----------

Great, more confirmation for their behavior.

Glassed Silver:mac

http://www.dell.com

http://store.hp.com

Enjoy.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Hopefully not. I say hopefully because to gain that sort of marketshare, they'd need some competitively cheap products. Seeing the new low-cost Mac Mini, low-cost iMac, and the outdated non-Retina 13" MacBook Pro, Apple can't do 'low cost' without the quality/performance slipping.

To paraphrase Steve, they don't ship junk. If you're going to offer a low-priced option, ensure it's competitive and that people get the 'Apple experience' that Tim Cook & the rest can't stop talking about. If you can't do quality across the line, don't offer a low-cost option.

Sadly that's not the case.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I'm surprised HP is still as high as it is. Didn't they say they were selling off their PC division of the company to someone else so they could focus on servers and enterprise customers?

The fact that they are looking at selling it off has nothing to do with market share, nor does it mean their PC division isn't doing well in many respects. Spinoffs and division sales can be a way to focus a company, or get more shareholder value as two separate entities, or free up resources for other initiatives. HP still has huge corporate sales, so I am not surprised at all they they are still selling a ton.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple may have better market share in the U.S, and that's all they have

They can''t even go report outside the U.S with any stats... That's not a company, that's a liar..

And i hate liars.. :mad:

Time to report globally like all other companies too...

this is so 1980's

Last edited:

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011

Sure, by playing the lowest price game, which results in cheap products that don't work well, that don't last long and that your buyers will end up hating you for.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Apple Grabs Record US PC Market Share On Strong Mac Sales in Q3 2014

Still the pc era if you look at market share and sales within u.s and globally

Oh, I was only referring to Jobs saying this (we're entering post pc era) when he first introduced the iPad.

I didn't think there will be a post pc era soon (if ever), and I still think that way.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Post PC era my ass...

Seriously, if I were to look at tablet vs PC usage in college, it would look like the future generations are NOT using tablets. Every single person has a PC. They're not going away, and it's a good thing because tablets suck.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham

Yes, when they sell more than 5 models of computers, allow more BTO customization, use high performance desktop components in desktops, make an affordable tower and don't r*** customers on upgrades and planned non-upgradable obsolescence.

But they won't because sky high margins are more important than volume, full model category coverage and affordability for customers.

It's a plan that has worked well for Apple and there is no reason for them to change.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Seriously, if I were to look at tablet vs PC usage in college, it would look like the future generations are NOT using tablets. Every single person has a PC. They're not going away, and it's a good thing because tablets suck.

There's no comparison to the efficiency and throughput possible with a full, tactile keyboard. I don't see tablets taking over any time soon. Not to mention the fact of how iOS has a terrible/inexistent file manager for cross platform document management.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.