Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fontane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Bought an iPad air 2 three nights ago. Everything was fine. Last night I did not plug it in before bed. Battery was 80%. 24 hours later I tried to use it and the battery was dead. I've owned an iPad 3 for over two years and never had this problem. My iPad was in a new case last night but the cover was closed so it was on standby. All settings were restored from my iPad 3 so nothing should be different.

Any insights?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
There must have been something running in the background. That just doesn't make sense unless the battery is completely defective which would be unlikely.

Is it a cellular model? Is the background app refresh feature turned OFF? Any chance you use photo streaming and perhaps a bunch of photos were being shared or uploaded? How about some social media app that could have been on and fetching new data or something?

Just thinking of some possibilities. That's quite a drastic amount of batter usage overnight....?

Fontane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
There must have been something running in the background. That just doesn't make sense unless the battery is completely defective which would be unlikely.

Is it a cellular model? Is the background app refresh feature turned OFF? Any chance you use photo streaming and perhaps a bunch of photos were being shared or uploaded? How about some social media app that could have been on and fetching new data or something?

Just thinking of some possibilities. That's quite a drastic amount of batter usage overnight....?

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.
All those items you listed are disabled on my machine (I do have cellular but keep it disabled at home). I don't use any social media apps and keep most programs shut down while not being used.

I checked the usage and nothing was in double digits (except the first on the list, home page or whatever it's called -- I don't recall off the top of my head, but it's normal).

I've been monitoring it all day today, and so far the percentage has dropped by 1% in the past four hours while on standby in the case. Seems better, but I will keep a close eye on it.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Hmmmm, one percent over an hour in standby isn't terrible. See how it goes.

At least you checked the obvious things first. ;)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've read about erroneous battery readings regarding iOS 8 in MR where the percentage jumps around. If it's an iOS 8 issue and if Apple is aware of it, they might address that in a future update. You could try doing a hardware reset (power+home) and see if that clears up the gremlins. I do agree with the previous poster that a defective battery is rather unlikely.

Since you are within the return window you might consider an exchange as last resort if the battery issue isn't sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.