Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Can I have some? Finally saw that freakin' ugly plasticky looking toy in person in Best Buy tonight.

I will not wear it even if it is free and somebody is pointing a gun at me. The line or something at the bottom is hilarious.

:apple: Watch is going to be a runaway winner both at the stores and fashion.

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
I agree. If you've seen, it's horrible.
I hope the same thing doesn't happen with the apple watch for me.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Can I have some? Finally saw that freakin' ugly plasticky looking toy in person in Best Buy tonight.

I will not wear it even if it is free and somebody is pointing a gun at me. The line or something at the bottom is hilarious.

:apple: Watch is going to be a runaway winner both at the stores and fashion.

Totally subjective - personally, I find the Apple Watch design to be really ugly and would take the Moto 360 over it any day. Having said that, the Apple Watch will sell more units purely based on the amount of Apple fans out there. Motorola doesn't have near the brand loyalty of Apple, although that doesn't at all point to validity/supremacy of the Apple Watch. Justin Bieber is popular too - and I'd be surprised if he doesn't opt for the Apple Watch as well. Probably the gold one.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Totally subjective - personally, I find the Apple Watch design to be really ugly and would take the Moto 360 over it any day. Having said that, the Apple Watch will sell more units purely based on the amount of Apple fans out there. Motorola doesn't have near the brand loyalty of Apple, although that doesn't at all point to validity/supremacy of the Apple Watch. Justin Bieber is popular too - and I'd be surprised if he doesn't opt for the Apple Watch as well. Probably the gold one.

Moto 360 design is really a joke.
It's 46mm.
It's like wearing the Nest Thermostat, which is a great design for a thermostat.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark

I think the problem is that Samsung, Motorola etc. doesn't think about what they are doing. They're making watches, and watches has always been some of the most finely crafted devices. Apple knows that, and it really shines through in the Watch. The Gear and 360 are cheap materials, cheap construction which makes them feel like something from Toys'r'us. They have completely missed the point, and this is why Apple will be superior for the next years with the Watch.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Sure you may not like 4he design of the moto360, but how exactly how is the moto 360 cheap materials? It's made from stainless steel and real leather band...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
As has already been said this is just personal opinion.

Someone will look at Beats headphones and be wowed by the design.
Someone else will look at them and laugh at the embarrassing bright coloreds piece of plastic.

One man may think his black and silver Audi looks amazing
Someone else may love their custom pink metal flak hot-rod with BOOM THE BASS 5000w speaker system in the trunk.

I think old American cars and things like Harley Davidson motorcycles are ugly junk that are made poorly, and perform poorly like old tractors, whereas I know others love them and think they are the best designs on the planet, and would not touch a sleek Mercedes or Japanese super bike

It's just personal taste.

The only think I will say about the Apple Watch, is from a style point of view, it's a bit bland, but you see I think that's is deliberate.

When you are only making one single model/design, and you want to sell to millions, you cannot pick a specific strong look, you needs to make something inoffensive and a little bland, as they you can't really love or hate it. It's not styled strongly either way, So it's just safe.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
It looks great. I don't know what ur smoking to think apple watch looks better.
Agreed. The hardware looks like a joke (as in, if I had seen it before it was launched, I would have said 'no way apples watch will look like that, that's a joke'). The software and ecosystem will make it a success though...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My biggest issue with the Almost 360 (besides the flat tire display) is the band connects at the bottom of the watch rather than the middle which makes it looks like a big aluminum tire is sitting on top of a cheap leather strap. It doesn't look like it was designed as one product whereas with Watch you can clearly see it was designed as one holistic product.

Nexus6withMoto360.0.0_cinema_1200.0.jpg

Btw, for those who think the Watch is too big and bulky, this is the LG G Watch R (who comes up with these names?). Gotta love how the text is slightly cut off in the first photo yet the Watch is supposedly ugly and a bad design because it's watch face isn't round. And the LG watch uses a fake tachymeter to hide the bezel (and give the illusion of a completely round display). But it seems completely out of place when not viewing an analog watch face.

DSC08917.0.jpg

DSC08961.0.jpg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Sure you may not like 4he design of the moto360, but how exactly how is the moto 360 cheap materials? It's made from stainless steel and real leather band...

Just because something is made from stainless steel and real leather band doesn't mean it won't look cheap. And what's up with that tacky gold trim around the button?

Motorola-Moto-360.jpg

axUKMPk.jpg

cleirac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2014
To be fair, it never looks good to me even in the pic. :p

Fyi LOL... BTW I am neutral and cynical to it seeing that in pictures because personally, all Google gadgets so far out there in the market border on lame bland, ugly, if it is meh okay gadgets... have no SEX appeal - but the Motorola 360 takes the cake as the biggest ugly letdown - Casio and Times makers will be proud and should be laughing as well on that Motor 360 cheap looking/ feeling piece of junk.

I did not just look at it - probably it was the biggest mistake ever for me holding that eye sore piece of crap. The strap, the styling, the color choices, th junk feel and look... ugh. What a joke junk - for sure those who loving it in the pic will have the biggest LOL facepalm moment of their lives once they see it even from a distance, if you have really have a great taste in aesthetics and fashion sense, stay away or do not hold it else you will have a terrible nightmare.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Really excited than ever before for the aWatch as this probably sealed it, in Jony and :apple: I trust.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2014
My biggest issue with the Almost 360 (besides the flat tire display) is the band connects at the bottom of the watch rather than the middle which makes it looks like a big aluminum tire is sitting on top of a cheap leather strap. It doesn't look like it was designed as one product whereas with Watch you can clearly see it was designed as one holistic product.

Btw, for those who think the Watch is too big and bulky, this is the LG G Watch R (who comes up with these names?). Gotta love how the text is slightly cut off in the first photo yet the Watch is supposedly ugly and a bad design because it's watch face isn't round. And the LG watch uses a fake tachymeter to hide the bezel (and give the illusion of a completely round display). But it seems completely out of place when not viewing an analog watch face.

This was the one on display at BB.

True story again. I had a buyer remorse with my almost Sharp Aquous / Android experiment / purchase - after having it a week UNOPENED. I decided to return it because I need lot of money for my upcoming extensive and long Europe trips. Lo and behold, in a hurry on the way out, much to my great surprise - I accidentally bumped into the Moto 360 display table.

I might comeback to BB as it is extremely close to my place as in can be walking distance ... Ahhhh, for **** and giggles and second look - maybe take some pictures and it cannot be that ugly bad for my taste. Not sure because of my anger and disappointment if I missed the aluminum option or what. Or if it is more laughable in person or if I will forgive Google on second take.

----------

And the face watch or whole of it is surprisingly very hot! With it's strap and BB store security wire, it was on top of a charger, but you can detach the watch away from it and have a good inspection. I did not even attempt trying it on.

Never thought that the usually all elegant blacks / dark colors on gadgets will be fugly and feeling / looking so cheap. Congrats Google in f'in it up!

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
For me on the 360.

I love the way the screen goes right out to the very edge for almost all of the face, that REALLY is a giant plus point over the Apple watch that has 1/4 of it's entire screen as dead bezel.

It's funny when you think about it. You have a full round screen, right to the edge, which looks lovely, and a section of blank/bezel zone at the bottom.

And of course, I think everyone, in me would love that to not be there, and perhaps in time and future models it won't be there, but it's a price they were willing to pay for this model.

Whereas, on the Apple watch you have a thick black blank/bezel on all 4 sides, not just at the bottom, but somehow that is amazing.

Bezel only at bottom = terrible
Bezel on all 4 sides = superb

That's a kinda odd logic when you think about it. :D

And yes, I do agree the connection between the strap and the body should be done better and not at the bottom. I don't like it like that.

That is in reality just a easy styling fix, it's no leap of technology to relocate the strap in a future model.

The screen bezel at the bottom will take more but I'm sure they will crack it.

So...

Tweak the body look, improve the strap location/blending into the body better, and hopefully in time remove the bezel totally and it really would be a stunner of a thing.

If you ignore the bezel, the 360 really does have the ability to potentially look a really nice thing on your wrist. Just give it some time.

http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Gold-Moto-360-1-640x820.jpg

http://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2014/11/Moto_360_Champagne_Gold_01.jpg

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/Moto_360_18_mm_vs_23_mm_Different_Views_2_Wide.png

I do look forward to later models, and hope they stick to their guns and develop this screen further, as for many, it offers a look a square display with bezels all around the outside just will never be able to do.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Uniformity is not odd at all. The flat tire is ugly and makes it plain as day that the display isn't reallh round. On one of LG's watches they used a fake tachymeter to hide the bezel and give the illusion of a round display. But doing that makes the watch face HUGE, almost like you strapped a Nest thermometer on your wrist. Watch is OLED and most of the UI is black so the bezel doesn't stick out as much. In fact doing a Google search on Watch I find very few instances of a white background anywhere. Just text message seems to be black text on white background.

apple-watch-hands-on-sg22-600x312.jpg

apple-event-0909-23.jpg

10406-2626-8aa859f5717a1a5c80a1c2b723a0734fa39b84f1_large_2x-l.png

Compare that with:

LG-G-Watch_main.jpg
smartwatch.jpg
ASUS-ZenWatch-Hands-On-002.jpg

And I hate the way text gets cut off/blurred around the edges on the Almosg 360. As far as I'm aware no text is cut off or difficult to read on Watch (or any other rounded rec watch with bezels).

moto_360_silver_chamfer_distortion_0.jpg
140626-moto-360-jms-1510_8974301879b51544b03dbca77c186fbe.jpg

----------

Hey if you ignore the black bezels on Watch it really does have the ability to potentially look really nice on your wrist. Just give it time. :D

Those three photos you linked to are all computer renders. The Almost 360 always looks better in computer renders than in real life, IMO. And I'm sorry but its impossible to ignore that dead spot, precisely because it isn't uniform. At least with a uniform bezel it frames the text/image like a picture frame. It's not just this lone black bar that looks out of place, thwt makes the display look like something is cut off.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
I would say that the Moto 360's build quality and feel in hand matches the cost. I am excited to see what the next version of hardware will be. And for the price, might even take a flyer on it for a few months here.

That said, the Apple Watch will do great things for wearables. I don't mind if Android is playing catch up, because honestly it'll push Android Wear into places that it wouldn't go itself. My only concern about the Apple Watch is it's longevity for the price point, particular the Edition. Also, all my life I've only had circular watches, and find square/rectangular just aren't as sleek. But for a smart watch, of course the Apple watch looks the best out of the bunch. But compared to a classic timepiece, it's just not up to par.

The specs war for watches is already over. I think the war is to be won over with battery life & optimization. The Moto360 is using a 2+ year old TI OMAP because Motorola had a huge stockpile, and software optimizations have made it a decent contender. A "retina" watchface is still a ways away just b/c of the power consumption unfortunately.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Those three photos you linked to are all computer renders. The Almost 360 always looks better in computer renders than in real life, IMO. And I'm sorry but its impossible to ignore that dead spot, precisely because it isn't uniform. At least with a uniform bezel it frames the text/image like a picture frame. It's not just this lone black bar that looks out of place, thwt makes the display look like something is cut off.

Be fair, a LOT of the A-Watch Images including ones you shown are renders, as are all the ones on Apple's web site I believe, but I don't even care about this.
Just accept this is personal taste.
You don't like the 360, you can't ignore the small bezel area at the bottom and you prefer the look of the Apple watch that will be on sale next year sometime.
However, other people like, and love the 360's round design, and are buying the devices now, even at times Motorola having problems keeping up supply.

When it comes to taste there is no best one, so we can just agree, different people prefer different looks.

Both will sell.
The Advantage, perhaps long term is that Motorola and others will run Android Wear, so you could, just as a wild example end up with 20 companies each making 4 watches in various designs, giving customers say 80 watches to pick from running Android wear, or buy one from Apple which is only compatible with iPhones that are not very popular in many countries.

That could be the longer term issue, as in the future, people are not going to all start buying iPhones just so they can pick Apple's watch if there is a large range of other watches for sale on a format they already know.

Than again, the whole thing may be a flop and only ever be a Apple TV type scenario.

Time will tell :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Be fair, a LOT of the A-Watch Images including ones you shown are renders, as are all the ones on Apple's web site I believe, but I don't even care about this.
Just accept this is personal taste.
You don't like the 360, you can't ignore the small bezel area at the bottom and you prefer the look of the Apple watch that will be on sale next year sometime.
However, other people like, and love the 360's round design, and are buying the devices now, even at times Motorola having problems keeping up supply.

When it comes to taste there is no best one, so we can just agree, different people prefer different looks.

Both will sell.
The Advantage, perhaps long term is that Motorola and others will run Android Wear, so you could, just as a wild example end up with 20 companies each making 4 watches in various designs, giving customers say 80 watches to pick from running Android wear, or buy one from Apple which is only compatible with iPhones that are not very popular in many countries.

That could be the longer term issue, as in the future, people are not going to all start buying iPhones just so they can pick Apple's watch if there is a large range of other watches for sale on a format they already know.

Than again, the whole thing may be a flop and only ever be a Apple TV type scenario.

Time will tell :)

Only one of my Watch images was a computer render. And that's only because I couldn't find any hands on images with a non black UI.

Oh and I'm sure any of Apple's competitors would love to have a flop as successful as TV. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm just going to take a wild guess we won't read this when Watch comes out. I'm assuming the Microsoft Band has a plastic screen? It sure doesn't look very comfortable.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/micr...eeds-to-walk-first-1415128568?mod=djemptech_t

Ergonomically, the wearable is pretty terrible. It’s awkward, wide at the top while a competing product, Samsung’s Gear Fit, is smartly curved.

The Band has a clever metal clasp that slides to make a better fit, but it rubbed my wrist the wrong way. And it’s so easily scratched, it looked battle damaged by Day Two. I scraped the bezel against a wall by just shoving a box into a closet. (Microsoft says it is offering screen protectors at its stores.)

1znlw90.jpg

Here's another photo of the MS Band. Apparently the screen scratches so easily Microsoft is now including a screen protector with the purchase.

screen_shot_2014-10-31_at_4.21.21_pm.jpg

And even Paul Thurrott says the band is uncomfortable and gets caught on things all the time.
http://m.winsupersite.com/microsoft-band/microsoft-band-second-impressions

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm just going to take a wild guess we won't read this when Watch comes out. I'm assuming the Microsoft Band has a plastic screen? It sure doesn't look very comfortable.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/micr...eeds-to-walk-first-1415128568?mod=djemptech_t

Ergonomically, the wearable is pretty terrible. It’s awkward, wide at the top while a competing product, Samsung’s Gear Fit, is smartly curved.

The Band has a clever metal clasp that slides to make a better fit, but it rubbed my wrist the wrong way. And it’s so easily scratched, it looked battle damaged by Day Two. I scraped the bezel against a wall by just shoving a box into a closet. (Microsoft says it is offering screen protectors at its stores.)

1znlw90.jpg

Here's another photo of the MS Band. Apparently the screen scratches so easily Microsoft is now including a screen protector with the purchase.

I've not seen that device in public, but I'd say it's aimed at a different market. where perhaps function is more important.

It has some pluses though remember over the AWatch.

More Sensors - Good for sports/body monitoring.
Waterproof - Apple remain tight lipped.
Lasts 2 days - Apple say you "Enjoy" changing your watch every day.
Costs almost half the price of the very cheapest Apple model.

I'd say for some, just those 4 aspects could make it a very interesting product.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I've not seen that device in public, but I'd say it's aimed at a different market. where perhaps function is more important.

It has some pluses though remember over the AWatch.

More Sensors - Good for sports/body monitoring.
Waterproof - Apple remain tight lipped.
Lasts 2 days - Apple say you "Enjoy" changing your watch every day.
Costs almost half the price of the very cheapest Apple model.

I'd say for some, just those 4 aspects could make it a very interesting product.

I was talking specifically about the design and the fact it scratches so easily. Also I've read several reviews that say they're not getting more than a day charge. Let's wait and see what Watch gets after its in people's hands. And I would expect a non descript plastic band with plastic display to be cheaper than a watch with aluminum, glass and custom bands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.